19 replies to this topic

#1 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

This list is for the US, it may differ in other countries, even Canada. It can't possibly include every candy being made, but it has a lot of them!

http://celiacdisease...a/GFcandies.htm

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Looks like all or their candies are gluten-free!     trick-or-treater.gif

http://www.tootsie.com/products.php

"At this time, all of our confections are gluten free with the exception of Andes cookies. We do not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt or any of their components and that includes our dusting on our conveyor belts. We do use corn and soy products in the manufacturing of our products."

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Looks like all or their candies are gluten-free!     trick-or-treater.gif

http://www.tootsie.com/products.php

"At this time, all of our confections are gluten free with the exception of Andes cookies. We do not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt or any of their components and that includes our dusting on our conveyor belts. We do use corn and soy products in the manufacturing of our products."

Thanks for the list K. I am excited that I no longer live in the remote countryside and I'll hve actual kiddos coming to the door!

whoohoo! 

P.S. I eat the tootsie rolls they have by the door when I leave after my work out at Planet Fitness. -_- 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the candy list nice lady!   :D

One treat that kids here seem to really like is roasted, salted peanuts in the shell.  I got several big bags of them one year and most of the kids wanted them.  Seems like a good treat to me since it is low sugar and all that.  They are somewhat less expensive than sugary chocolate which is nice.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

That sounds good, Paul.

And way better than the guy who gives out apples.

or dental floss.

just sayin  ^_^

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Oh, I hadn't thot of dental floss IH!  Those kids really need some proper dental hygiene after all.  Great idea! :D  Actually, my sister suggested giving them kale.  Eww!  Even I am not that low...  or am I?

Maybe herbal tea bags would be good...

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Dude, I want the kids to like me, not egg my car. :lol: herbal tea bags... hilarious lmao

I love kale chips, but they might not translate well into "to-go " bags. ICK

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have bags of Tootsie products hidden from my hubby. Am the official census taker on my block -- 500 last year! Next block over gets over 1000 kids. Good thing tootsie is both cheap and gluten-free!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

500-1000 kids...holycraponacracker! :blink: ...are they shipping them in?  :lol:

better stock up, babes!

although honestly, in the neighborhood I grew up in in Boston, there were tons of us roaming blocks and blocks and even going

home to dump and reload. 

hmmm...I suddenly want a tootsie roll............

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Halloween is truly magical around here.  Neighbors decorate their homes and kids come into our neighborhood for three reasons: 1) homes are "city" plots, so more homes per block -- perfect for greedy kids, 2) hills, we're just a the base of some major hills, and 3) we have sidewalks.  Part of our city is "country" so it's not super safe to walk the streets.

We've been here a long time.  The only year the count went down was after 9-11.  We have a big Halloween party right out in the front yard.  Everyone hangs outside.  It's crowded on the sidewalk but it's fun seeing friends, neighbors and family while "trick or treating".  The kids just stream up our front walkway to our "scary porch".   We eat lots of chili and canvas returning kids bags for the "good" candy.  Alas, I can only eat my candy, but that's okay!  

Only a week to go! :)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

That sounds like a blast!!!! ENJOY!!!

The last time I got to do something like that with the neighborhood peeps was about 17 years ago (when I lived in the city)

I was dressed as Elvira and gave out candy, then went to a party. whoohoo that was fun....

When I moved to a house on a dirt road on 7 acres,  no one came up that long drive. 

Anyhoo, I have decided to hold off buying the goodies until the day before.

Why, you may all wonder? because I have zero restraint. zip. none. nada.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Dude, I want the kids to like me, not egg my car. :lol: herbal tea bags... hilarious lmao

I love kale chips, but they might not translate well into "to-go " bags. ICK

Another great idea IH, boiled eggs!  Thanks! :)

I got mini boxes of raisins one time.  Those might be good too.

RE: buying ahead of time.  You do know it is important to test the goods out before distributing to minors right?  Somebody has to do it!

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

When I was of trick-or-treating age the big worry of the time was old men putting razor blades in apples :ph34r:   That's just mean.  I lived in a very large city and would drop a full pillowcase of candy and home and go out for another one.  We were Candy Warriors!!!  These days there are no children who live in the immediate area so I turn out the lights and eat all the candy myself :lol:

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

.  You do know it is important to test the goods out before distributing to minors right?  Somebody has to do it!

Okay, did you call my hubs last night?  because he has already pitched this plea.  :lol:

My reply was one night of test- driving the candy for the kids is enough.

Honestly, if I were to get it now, there wouldn't be any left come 10/31. I am a grazer--you know what that means, right...I graze the shelves in the fridge and the cupboards....and if I find it, I sample. not once, not twice.....I'm just a giant sweet tooth that lacks discipline..

When I was of trick-or-treating age the big worry of the time was old men putting razor blades in apples :ph34r:   That's just mean.  I lived in a very large city and would drop a full pillowcase of candy and home and go out for another one.  We were Candy Warriors!!!  These days there are no children who live in the immediate area so I turn out the lights and eat all the candy myself :lol:

Colleen

Same here. We used pillowcases and my Dad had to check everything to look out for the razor blades.

What kind of nutjob does that anyway?  geesh.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

I so love that list!  It's perfect for my little celiacs to know what they can and can not eat.

We are going to a Trunk of Treat at our elementary school tonight and I alpha'd the list of the treats my kids would actually like.  I'm printing off a copy for myself and my husband (since they know they need permission from either of us to eat anything).  I took some things off the YES side because 1. we don't like those, 2. it's too hard to know if they were "rebagged" or 3. too many varieties to think about while out and about.

Anyway, here it is in case anybody else wants to copy/paste/print your own copy.

Happy Halloween!!

HALLOWEEN CANDY 2013

YES!!

• 3 Musketeers Bars (all flavors)
  • Almond Joy
  • Baby Ruth
  • Bit-O-Honey
  • Butterfinger Bar (original flavor only)
  • Charleston Chew
  • Charms Blow Pops
  • Dots
  • Dum Dums
  • Hershey’s Kisses
  • Junior Mints
  • Laffy Taffy
  • Lifesavers
  • M&Ms (original and peanut only)
  • Milky Way (Midnight and Caramel only)
  • Mounds
  • Nestle Milk Chocolate
  • Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups (original shape only)
  • Skittles
  • Skor
  • Snickers Bars
  • Starburst
  • Sugar Babies
  • Tootsie Pops
  • Tootsie Rolls
  • Wonka Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip
  • Wonka Pixy Stix
  • York Peppermint Patty

NO!!

• 100 Grand Bar
  • Andes
  • Butterfinger – NOT original
  • Chewy Spree
  • Everlasting Gobstopper
  • Hershey’s Bars
  • Licorice
  • M&Ms – NOT original or peanut
  • Mars Bars
  • Milky Way (original)
  • Mr. Goodbar
  • Smarties (“rebagged” for Halloween – NOT safe)
  • Sweetarts
  • Wonka Nerds

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: