This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Halloween Candy

kareng

kareng Grand Master

This list is for the US, it may differ in other countries, even Canada. It can't possibly include every candy being made, but it has a lot of them!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Looks like all or their candies are gluten-free!     Open Original Shared Link

"At this time, all of our confections are gluten free with the exception of Andes cookies. We do not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt or any of their components and that includes our dusting on our conveyor belts. We do use corn and soy products in the manufacturing of our products."

IrishHeart Veteran

Looks like all or their candies are gluten-free!     Open Original Shared Link

"At this time, all of our confections are gluten free with the exception of Andes cookies. We do not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt or any of their components and that includes our dusting on our conveyor belts. We do use corn and soy products in the manufacturing of our products."

Thanks for the list K. I am excited that I no longer live in the remote countryside and I'll hve actual kiddos coming to the door!

whoohoo! 

P.S. I eat the tootsie rolls they have by the door when I leave after my work out at Planet Fitness. -_- 

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks for the candy list nice lady!   :D

One treat that kids here seem to really like is roasted, salted peanuts in the shell.  I got several big bags of them one year and most of the kids wanted them.  Seems like a good treat to me since it is low sugar and all that.  They are somewhat less expensive than sugary chocolate which is nice.

IrishHeart Veteran

That sounds good, Paul.

And way better than the guy who gives out apples.

or dental floss.

just sayin  ^_^

GFinDC Veteran

Oh, I hadn't thot of dental floss IH!  Those kids really need some proper dental hygiene after all.  Great idea! :D  Actually, my sister suggested giving them kale.  Eww!  Even I am not that low...  or am I?

Maybe herbal tea bags would be good...

IrishHeart Veteran

Dude, I want the kids to like me, not egg my car. :lol: herbal tea bags... hilarious lmao

I love kale chips, but they might not translate well into "to-go " bags. ICK

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have bags of Tootsie products hidden from my hubby. Am the official census taker on my block -- 500 last year! Next block over gets over 1000 kids. Good thing tootsie is both cheap and gluten-free!

IrishHeart Veteran

500-1000 kids...holycraponacracker! :blink: ...are they shipping them in?  :lol:

better stock up, babes!

although honestly, in the neighborhood I grew up in in Boston, there were tons of us roaming blocks and blocks and even going

home to dump and reload. 

hmmm...I suddenly want a tootsie roll............

cyclinglady Grand Master

Halloween is truly magical around here.  Neighbors decorate their homes and kids come into our neighborhood for three reasons: 1) homes are "city" plots, so more homes per block -- perfect for greedy kids, 2) hills, we're just a the base of some major hills, and 3) we have sidewalks.  Part of our city is "country" so it's not super safe to walk the streets.

We've been here a long time.  The only year the count went down was after 9-11.  We have a big Halloween party right out in the front yard.  Everyone hangs outside.  It's crowded on the sidewalk but it's fun seeing friends, neighbors and family while "trick or treating".  The kids just stream up our front walkway to our "scary porch".   We eat lots of chili and canvas returning kids bags for the "good" candy.  Alas, I can only eat my candy, but that's okay!  

Only a week to go! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

That sounds like a blast!!!! ENJOY!!!

The last time I got to do something like that with the neighborhood peeps was about 17 years ago (when I lived in the city)

I was dressed as Elvira and gave out candy, then went to a party. whoohoo that was fun....

When I moved to a house on a dirt road on 7 acres,  no one came up that long drive. 

Anyhoo, I have decided to hold off buying the goodies until the day before.

Why, you may all wonder? because I have zero restraint. zip. none. nada.

GFinDC Veteran

Dude, I want the kids to like me, not egg my car. :lol: herbal tea bags... hilarious lmao

I love kale chips, but they might not translate well into "to-go " bags. ICK

Another great idea IH, boiled eggs!  Thanks! :)

I got mini boxes of raisins one time.  Those might be good too.

RE: buying ahead of time.  You do know it is important to test the goods out before distributing to minors right?  Somebody has to do it!

GF Lover Rising Star

When I was of trick-or-treating age the big worry of the time was old men putting razor blades in apples :ph34r:   That's just mean.  I lived in a very large city and would drop a full pillowcase of candy and home and go out for another one.  We were Candy Warriors!!!  These days there are no children who live in the immediate area so I turn out the lights and eat all the candy myself :lol:

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

.  You do know it is important to test the goods out before distributing to minors right?  Somebody has to do it!

Okay, did you call my hubs last night?  because he has already pitched this plea.  :lol:

My reply was one night of test- driving the candy for the kids is enough.

Honestly, if I were to get it now, there wouldn't be any left come 10/31. I am a grazer--you know what that means, right...I graze the shelves in the fridge and the cupboards....and if I find it, I sample. not once, not twice.....I'm just a giant sweet tooth that lacks discipline..

When I was of trick-or-treating age the big worry of the time was old men putting razor blades in apples :ph34r:   That's just mean.  I lived in a very large city and would drop a full pillowcase of candy and home and go out for another one.  We were Candy Warriors!!!  These days there are no children who live in the immediate area so I turn out the lights and eat all the candy myself :lol:

Colleen

Same here. We used pillowcases and my Dad had to check everything to look out for the razor blades.

What kind of nutjob does that anyway?  geesh.

africanqueen99 Contributor

I so love that list!  It's perfect for my little celiacs to know what they can and can not eat.

We are going to a Trunk of Treat at our elementary school tonight and I alpha'd the list of the treats my kids would actually like.  I'm printing off a copy for myself and my husband (since they know they need permission from either of us to eat anything).  I took some things off the YES side because 1. we don't like those, 2. it's too hard to know if they were "rebagged" or 3. too many varieties to think about while out and about.

Anyway, here it is in case anybody else wants to copy/paste/print your own copy.

Happy Halloween!!

HALLOWEEN CANDY 2013

YES!!

• 3 Musketeers Bars (all flavors)
  • Almond Joy
  • Baby Ruth
  • Bit-O-Honey
  • Butterfinger Bar (original flavor only)
  • Charleston Chew
  • Charms Blow Pops
  • Dots
  • Dum Dums
  • Hershey’s Kisses
  • Junior Mints
  • Laffy Taffy
  • Lifesavers
  • M&Ms (original and peanut only)
  • Milky Way (Midnight and Caramel only)
  • Mounds
  • Nestle Milk Chocolate
  • Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups (original shape only)
  • Skittles
  • Skor
  • Snickers Bars
  • Starburst
  • Sugar Babies
  • Tootsie Pops
  • Tootsie Rolls
  • Wonka Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip
  • Wonka Pixy Stix
  • York Peppermint Patty

NO!!

• 100 Grand Bar
  • Andes
  • Butterfinger – NOT original
  • Chewy Spree
  • Everlasting Gobstopper
  • Hershey’s Bars
  • Licorice
  • M&Ms – NOT original or peanut
  • Mars Bars
  • Milky Way (original)
  • Mr. Goodbar
  • Smarties (“rebagged” for Halloween – NOT safe)
  • Sweetarts
  • Wonka Nerds
Adalaide Mentor

Our church does a trunk or treat. I had honestly never heard of such a thing growing up, and all I can think now is how hilarious (and kind of twisted) it is that we teach our kids to never get in a car with a stranger for candy... but it's cool to go to a parking lot full of cars with strangers with candy. :blink: Kind of mixed messages, just sayin.

MY MIL does the Halloween candy thing here so we don't get to. Which kind of sucks for the kids because she bought plain M&M's this year. Ewwwww!

And a correction on your list there, Andes are fine. I've known this since between my diagnosis and going gluten free since it was the most important candy to check.

bartfull Rising Star

I used to get dressed up and meet the kids at the door. Now, I leave the lights off. Just too many kids, and FAR too many BIG kids - older teenagers. If a seventeen-year-old kid thinks he needs to go trick or treating, I think his parents should be notified. Yes, I am a Halloween scrooge.

But if I DID do Halloween, I think I'd give them...LIVER AND ONIONS! :o  

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol:

Adalaide Mentor

I used to get dressed up and meet the kids at the door. Now, I leave the lights off. Just too many kids, and FAR too many BIG kids - older teenagers. If a seventeen-year-old kid thinks he needs to go trick or treating, I think his parents should be notified. Yes, I am a Halloween scrooge.

You're hilarious! I used my kids when they were little as an excuse to dress up and take them out and steal about 75% of their candy. :ph34r: It wasn't just that I was young either, I'd do it still now if I had kids. They just don't need all that candy. I mean come on... how much candy does a 2 year old really need? My mom stole my candy until I got wise and started hiding it all in my bedroom.

My husband doesn't like Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. We compromise by not celebrating. In exchange, he doesn't play with fireworks on the 4th. What can I say, I like a man with 10 fingers.

nvsmom Community Regular

My husband doesn't like Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. We compromise by not celebrating. In exchange, he doesn't play with fireworks on the 4th. What can I say, I like a man with 10 fingers.

LOL :lol:

We only get about 70 kids, so this year I'm giving out juice boxes and cans of cheap pop. The price is close to the same and I don't have to worry about kids with allergies. If I run out, we redistribute our boys' candy once they are home. My kids trade in most of their candy for a toy (this year is pokemon cards) which works out well since all my kids are gluten-free, and one is also dairy and nut free.

Archived