Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Newbie :need Help

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I am a newly diagnosed celiac and have been on gluten free diet for just over a week. I left gluten, dairy corn and processed food when I started the diet. I am not sure if it is too extreem but I jave been following the newbie info thread. My headaches have finally gone away.I am still trying to figure out this diet and feel that I am almost always paranoid of getting glutened even though I only buy gluten free foods.

I was hoping if you guys can tell me if the lactose free lactaid milk is safe to drink. I have not noticed dairy giving me problems but since I had bad villous atrophy I thought it would be a good idea to drop lactose. I don't consume any other products like ice cream or yogurt but do like eggs. Are they safe as well?

Also wondering if homemade gluten free pancakes with maple syrup are ok to eat (mabe once a month) this early in my new diet or should I strictly stick to whole foods.

I enjoy spicy food so I make currys with wild rice and eat it once a day . I don't use a lot of spices just use salt pepper and hot peppers and turmeric. Are they safe to eat ? I do eat lots of salads and fruits and nuts but I really feel like eating the rice once a day.

I am sorry these are a lot of questions but I will really appreciate your help. I don't want to eat anything wrong. Being new to diet I always feel that everything has gluten.did someone else feel like this or its just me :(

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ads by Google:

lactaid is good - i started drinking it when i was first diagnosed (skipped dairy for about 6 months) and now i still drink it because i like it.  eggs are not dairy, but some people are sensitive or allergic to eggs, but they are gluten free and are safe to eat on gluten-free diet.  pancakes are awesome :)  maple syrup is good, i bet you will find alot of recipes for pancakes on the recipe/baking forum - just google 'pancakes' and you should get a bunch of different recipes.  i used to make myself crepes early in, to make myself feel better when i was having a 'poor me' day, lolz - spiciness and peppers irritated my guts in the beginning, but they are gluten-free (check labels on everything) and won't cause an auto-immune reaction, although if (and you will know it, use common sense) you feel like they are irritating you, stop eating them for awhile - rice is good and one of my 'go-to' foods when i get glutened or my guts are wonky.  i had trouble digesting raw veggies in the beginning, but if you can eat salad and raw veggies, they are good.  nuts - check the labels.  some say 'processed on equipment that also process wheat containing products' plain nuts are usually ok and nuts are naturally gluten free ;)

that is not alot of questions, everybody *does* feel like this in the beginning.  i cried in the supermarket (bought nothing) went home, had a tantrum, etc...  so, you are in good company here.  we have all been through this.  glad you have read the newbie thread and ask away.  welcome to the best club you never wanted to join....  <_<  and don't worry - it gets easier :)

I think you are doing the right thing in listening in to your body and how it feels.  :)  It does get better and a little less anxiety-causing as time passes.  And of course, the more time passes, the better you feel :)

Planter's nuts are NOT made in a facility that processes wheat (unless it says so on the label - and it WILL if they are). That is the only brand I eat, unless I eat nuts that come still in the shell.

There is no need to give up corn unless you have problems with it, but if you do, or still want to be corn-free, make sure the syrup you put on those pancakes is real maple syrup. Most brands in the grocery store are maple flavored corn syrup.

Do try to stick to mostly whole foods at first. You will get less "crap" like artificial flavorings, colors and chemical preservatives and a lot more nutrition. 

And yes, welcome! Got more questions? Fire away. :)

Thank you so much notme!, LauraTX and bartfull ! This is really helpful. I am sorry for this late reply as I have been working a lot lately and feel totally drained when I get home. Even more drained than I use to when I was on gluten diet L

I love the taste of lactaid and I am glad I found it because I wasn’t so sure if I could continue to drink the almond milk. I did not visit the supermarket in my first week because I felt I won’t be able to handle it. I did have few meltdowns following this. But now I have found a motivator – having a healthy baby and being able to take care of it and of course living a healthier life than people who are eating all that junk food.  I do feel like treating myself with some pancakes or something sweet maybe once a month. I have read that sugar can cause inflammation so I decreased the amount I have (well I only use small amounts of honey).

I think you guys are right. I need to be patient because it takes time for things to heal. I am going to stick to whole foods for first few months.  Although I am not sure if I should incorporate more animal proteins into my diet. I only eat chicken (rarely. We don’t cook red meats due to history of cancer in my husband’s family). I also don’t like the smell of fish L . I do cook lots of legumes though. I drink a lot of smoothies (milk, kale, spinach, all berries, walnuts).

Do you guys have any suggestions to get more protein & omega 3 in the diet?

Thanks a lot!

Here is a list of foods by protein content:  I was told by my Oncologist that Bison was a good replacement for red meat.  I stay away from pork but I do have chicken in moderation.  I also stay away from sugar as much as possible. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foods_by_protein_content

Since you don't like fish, seeds and nuts would be a good source of Omega 3's.

Here is a list of foods that are anti-inflammatory.

http://www.naturalantiinflammatory.org/anti-inflammatory-foods.html

Hope this helps.

Colleen

Most definitely eat those pancakes, loaded with real maple syrup.  It's good for the soul........ ;)

Most definitely eat those pancakes, loaded with real maple syrup.  It's good for the soul........ ;)

I second this!

I am so glad your headaches are gone and happy the Newbie thread is helping. If there's anything else we can help with, just shout!