3 replies to this topic

#1 aubnizzle

aubnizzle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi. 3 months ago, I quit gluten cold turkey because I'd suspected that my mother might have Celiac Disease and that it could also be the cause of my malnutrition as well and I wanted to see if a gluten free diet would make a difference.

7 days in, I went through wheat withdrawal, and it was the worst thing I'd ever experienced. The brain fog, the fatigue, the devil of headaches, etc. It lasted 3 days before it finally let up. I haven't touched pharmaceutical medicine in 3 1/2 years and the pain was so terrible that I actually considered Advil.

My question is this: if I choose to "cheat" on my diet and consume gluten once or twice here and there, will I experience this withdrawal again? I have never been diagnosed with any sort of gluten intolerance, but have noticed a change for the better in my health.

I ask this because as many of you probably know, the cravings get so bad sometimes and I feel like treating myself every now and then.. but not if it will hurt me!

Please respond with any of your experiences with this issue or any information you might have on it, based on my situation. Thank you! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

What we Celiacs usually find if we " cheat" or get something accidentally is that we get sick - GI issues, migraines, DH, etc. I am guessing that you wouldn't have withdrawl from one incidence.

Now, if you actually have celiac, cheating is very dangerous, even if you don't feel too bad. It starts the antibodies up and they start attacking parts of your body. Leading to lots of other issues.

If you want to cheat, why not cheat away for 2 or 3 months and get tested. Then you will know how strict you need to be.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

If your nutrient levels were low, and you have a highly nutritious diet: I would be concerned it is celiac.  If it is celiac you can't cheat.  If you want to cheat, you better be tested.  If you want to test, you get one last several week fling at eating gluten.  After all, you don't know for sure.

Most of us do have painful consequences if we accidentally ingest some gluten.  My consequences are not worth it, and I don't expect yours will be if you do have celiac. 

It sounds like you do have some kind of gluten intolerance:

Withdrawal symptoms when you stopped eating it.

Changes in your health (for the better) when removing gluten from your diet.

Keep a record of any symptoms and have your doctor consider those along with any blood tests.

D

#4 aubnizzle

aubnizzle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thank you! I will obviously have to test my reaction and see if there is a notable change in my health before making any solid decisions. I've also considered being tested for celiac disease but as I've already cleared my system of gluten, I'm terrified of the Gluten Challenge that is required to show reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: