4 replies to this topic

#1 Syracusegirl1999

Syracusegirl1999

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

I know that others have posted pictures in here, and I'm just looking for some help.

I've had these intensely itchy spots on my hands for about 18 years (I'm 36 now). Whenever I get them, I can wash my hands, use hand cream, cortisone ointment, hand sanitizer - nothing will stop the itch. The itch is stopped only by scratching, and it's a conscious thing - to scratch so much that the topmost layer of skin comes off. Once that happens, the spot goes numb. Day 2 is the most painful. Day 3 on, the wound is scabbed and healing.

The bad part (you know, other than tearing my skin off) is that it looks like a burn.

Here's a pic of my hand 3 days after the itchiness started: http://www.flickr.co...02/10354205753/

My "doctor" today told me it was "eczema" and "ringworm" and prescribed me a steroid cream from looking at my hand from 5 feet away. 

Has anyone else ever had something like this? I know it doesn't look like the typical DH and I realize it might not be DH (if not, mods feel free to delete). I'm just looking for some help because I've also had these spots on my ankles, wrists, arms and legs.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't know a lot about Dh but I think the question would be - what do they look like before you scratch them?

Also, I do know about ringworm and that is nothing like ringworm!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Syracusegirl1999

Syracusegirl1999

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't know a lot about Dh but I think the question would be - what do they look like before you scratch them?

Also, I do know about ringworm and that is nothing like ringworm!

Before I scratch, they get really red and inflamed. As I scratch the skin acts like it's blistering - it seems to get "loose" and I can pull the top layer away. Once the "blister pop" there is clear fluid, the skin turn whitish and red around it.

I also have 2 little spots on my left palm, here's a small example of what they look like before it get scratched:

http://www.flickr.co...02/10354529496/

#4 Syracusegirl1999

Syracusegirl1999

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Additional spots on my left inside wrist and left index . . . so frustrating

#5 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I cannot say for sure if it is Dh, but I will say this: don't get too hung up on what "typical" Dh looks like. If you look at the photo bank here you will see a fair amount of variation in rashes and locations. Mine is considered "atypical" according to common medical knowledge and that was enough to make multiple derms and docs decide it wasn't Dh. (Common medical knowledge says that Dh occurs mostly in males and on the elbows, knees and back of the neck. I am female and have it all over the front and sides of my torso and across my lower back.)

You may need to be "pushy" with you docs and ask to see a dermatologist. Then you may need to be pushy with them to get them to test for Dh (and then you need to make sure that they know how to properly take a biopsy for Dh) It's frustrating, I know.

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: