This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help Please

MommyOfTwinkies<3

MommyOfTwinkies<3 Newbie

Avoid oats right now.  You should only get certified gluten free oats, but sometime the protein chain is too close to gluten.

Give your little one options which gluten free option would you like?  Pack a emergency stash at school of "party treat" and snacks for the teacher to keep at school.

Already have the emergency stash for school ;) & I talked to her teacher about her taking an extra treat(s) for days they have parties (which I go to all of those) & for just days when they have a birthday in the class room. Thanks for the advice :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MommyOfTwinkies<3 Newbie

I have been hand washing her dishes separately from the others  with a clean washcloth every time, no sponges! & just hand drying them & putting them in her tubs(I am not comfortable using my dishwasher for her stuff) at least not right now. Yes it is a lot more work but I worry enough more than enough :( & I would rather not take the chance of CC & have something else to worry about. Thank you all for all of your advice & for answering all of my questions! :)

MommyOfTwinkies<3 Newbie

Do you mean the velveeta stick or the squeezy cheese that comes in a non gluten-free Mac n cheese? The stick is gluten-free, the other I wouldn't trust. Try the Annie's Mac n cheese with the squeezy cheese, it tastes the best,IMO. Also, the trader joes is really good. My kids have never have fast food, so they don't know to miss it, but my husband will sometimes get a chocolate ice cream thing from Wendy's (forget what it's called). Honestly, with all of the work you are doing, it would honestly be cheaper and easier for you to all just go gluten-free. I'm actually shocked at how much our food bill dropped once we all stopped eating gluten. No buying double of everything.

I was talking about the block of velvetta. Annie's mac n cheese with the squeezy cheese is actually what I made last night & neither one of my kids liked it, even though I ate the same thing & it tasted fine to me. I am making gluten free dinners for all of us right now but my husband isn't to fond of going gluten free. I am one of those people that LOVE to bake & cook :) I would make everything homemade but everything I made pretty much had gluten in it so it is a big transition for all of us.. I am sure it is going to take some time to get used 2. The good thing about it is since my daughter (& son) are 5 it is not as "hard" on her/ him as say me or my husband because we have been eating gluten for years. It is difficult since some of the snacks she used to love she cant have. But we took her to a health food store & she had a blast picking out all of her gluten free foods :)

MommyOfTwinkies<3 Newbie

I was talking about the block of velvetta. Annie's mac n cheese with the squeezy cheese is actually what I made last night & neither one of my kids liked it, even though I ate the same thing & it tasted fine to me. I am making gluten free dinners for all of us right now but my husband isn't to fond of going gluten free. I am one of those people that LOVE to bake & cook :) I would make everything homemade but everything I made pretty much had gluten in it so it is a big transition for all of us.. I am sure it is going to take some time to get used 2. The good thing about it is since my daughter (& son) are 5 it is not as "hard" on her/ him as say me or my husband because we have been eating gluten for years. It is difficult since some of the snacks she used to love she cant have. But we took her to a health food store & she had a blast picking out all of her gluten free foods :)

So far I have been lucky & she has found more foods she likes than dislikes :)

mommy2krj Explorer

The baking does get a bit overwhelming at first. I love to bake....cook, not so much. My husband was kinda leery about going gluten free as well since he isn't the one to get sick but he's discovered that it's just as good as "normal" food....unless you try to get him to eat the noodles. For whatever reason he won't budge on that one. So, anything with noodles he eats without noodles. :) I was worried about my oldest son not eating any of this stuff but he seems to have found that he prefers it and if not prefers then at least finds it edible. :) He's so picky we've been amazed at how he's taking to it! And we've all discovered how much better we feel when eating gluten free. It is hereditary so it has to come from somewhere.....I think there are a lot of intolerances to wheat in my family that we are now discovering...even if it isn't full blown Celiac.

And you are definitely welcome! :) It took me a good week or so before I figured out I needed to take a step back and just calm down. Wrote out a list of the foods that everyone here likes that are already naturally gluten free. Made a list of side dishes and then figured out meals and discovered that bread was really the only thing that was glaringly absent. We waited about two months before we really started adding gluten free bread in every once in a while so it didn't taste so off....now I find I like it and now I need to work on making my own! My little guy, thankfully loves tortillas and I discovered very quickly that the corn ones worked just fine for him. He ate a LOT of corn tortillas the first month.

I have had to restrict his milk intake a little bit as he was still having some tummy issues (though nothing like before!) but nothing drastic as of yet. I'm waiting another month or two until I attempt the gluten free oats. I wanted to let him heal some first.

Giving her the chance to pick out her own snacks was an excellent way to help her own her food choices. My biggest issue now is trying to determine if the foods that are gluten free but still processed in plants that process wheat is something he should be eating or not. :/ That one makes it hard.

notme Experienced

see if she can wash her hands with soap and water at school instead of the wipes.  soap and water will wash any gluten away and will be better than wipes  :)  i live with WEs <wheateaters and we share the dishwasher, no prob.  high temp, high speed washing and rinsing i am comfortable that everything gets rinsed well.  plus, i'm lazy as all get-out ;)

Archived