3 replies to this topic

#1 Patt

Patt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

Does anyone know what pain killers are gluten free in Canada? Specificly advil and tylenol. (sobeys brand) compliments acetominophen, compliments ibuprophen, pepto bismol, compliments allegy formula?

also if anyone knows any lipbalm brands like burts bees, blistex, Avon, NYC... stuff like that would be nice too

CANADA New Brunswick :)  Accidently saw the light. 

Continuously looking for no subsitute recipes

its not complicated! its just hard.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

well, I use Kirkland Signature Ibuprofen and it seems alright, I didn't call to make sure it was gluten free, but I had no reactions and I'm pretty sensitive to gluten.

haven't had much luck with lipbalms though.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#3 cayrien

cayrien

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hi there Patt :)

So this is from advil.ca (advil = ibuprofen):

Advil is gluten-free and is safe for individuals with celiac disease.

In terms of Tylenol, I have read that generic acetaminophen can be made with gluten. So I'd be careful of generic brands for sure. You may need to contact the company, I can't find anything online to say for sure about the name brand.

I've also read that the following website: http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com is a good resource for finding drugs that are gluten free.

In terms of lip balm, the biggest concern is usually the tocopherol/vitamin e (it can be sourced from wheat, soy, sunflower, nuts, etc) as well as, of course, cross contamination during manufacturing. One brand that is readily available in Canada, EOS (Evolution of Smooth), (it's these little round balls, they're kinda cute really) are gluten free, and I've read that the company actively tests for gluten in their lip balm . Another company, Hurraw! is in the process of gluten free certification, so that will be another viable option. Intelligent Nutrients also has a lip balm. I contacted the company and they assured me that all their products are gluten free and manufactured in a gluten free facility. However, they did not mention if they test for gluten or not. So, I'll leave that up to your discretion.

Hope that helps! :)

#4 Rucko

Rucko

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Most products have contact numbers and many have websites, so you could investigate items yourself for the most current information.  I've also been at my pharmacy and enlisted the pharmacist to help me find out about some products, they're usually good about checking the house brand of pain meds if nothing else.  But ask when they're not too busy or they'll probably give you the brush-off...

I bought some Arbonne lip balm a few years ago that was gluten free but you'd have to investigate if they still make it.  That's the trouble - companies change their formulas or processes so we're forced to check each time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: