This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non Celiac - But Are These Symptoms?

Mo92109

Mo92109 Apprentice

A Dr. told me that I was wheat intolerant and to go on celiac.com for more information. I got the awful biopsy done and do not have celiac, though. I've had some dr's tell me that I can have bread, as long as it's not wheat and that non-wheat beer is ok too. I did my own research and decided to be gluten-free altogether and have been for 6 months. Now, if I accidentially eat something (usually flour hidden in something) I get really itchy all over and sneezy - a symptom that has never happened before. Before, it was stomach and bad bowl problems and horrible heartburn (is that related, or is that something else?) Even though I do feel better for the most part, I still have a bloated stomach (I am very thin everywhere else) bad heartburn (I'm on two different prescriptions) and have embarrassing gas almost all the time. Another thing I noticed within the past year is that I can't remember anything... turned into a real dope.

Any of this sound like Celiac or is there something else wrong with me? Isn't wheat intolerant the same as gluten intolerant? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Did you have bloodwork done or just the biopsy? A negative biopsy doesnt mean you dont have Celiac.

Mo92109 Apprentice

The boolwork said I was "wheat intolerant" according to my Dr.

Is there something else?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...there are specific tests for Celiac. I'm thinking you didn't have those tests if they told you that you're wheat intolerant. <_<

Gluten intolerance is more than just avoiding wheat. I think they are giving you wrong information. :unsure:

Mo92109 Apprentice

Are all those things (gas, memory, heart burn) associated wth gluten intolerance/celiac or can it be something else caused by celiac?

So confused.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yes, those can all be symptoms of Celiac/Gluten Intolerance.

The brainfog/memory problems were one of my worst symptoms. If you are still having these symptoms after 6 months you are probably not completely gluten-free....assuming you are Celiac or gluten intolerant. Those symptoms could be caused by other things as well so you would need to be very diligent on the diet to know for sure...it sounds to me like you're probably not 100% gluten free.

falwell57 Newbie
A Dr. told me that I was wheat intolerant and to go on celiac.com for more information. I got the awful biopsy done and do not have celiac, though. I've had some dr's tell me that I can have bread, as long as it's not wheat and that non-wheat beer is ok too. I did my own research and decided to be gluten-free altogether and have been for 6 months. Now, if I accidentially eat something (usually flour hidden in something) I get really itchy all over and sneezy - a symptom that has never happened before. Before, it was stomach and bad bowl problems and horrible heartburn (is that related, or is that something else?) Even though I do feel better for the most part, I still have a bloated stomach (I am very thin everywhere else) bad heartburn (I'm on two different prescriptions) and have embarrassing gas almost all the time. Another thing I noticed within the past year is that I can't remember anything... turned into a real dope.

Any of this sound like Celiac or is there something else wrong with me? Isn't wheat intolerant the same as gluten intolerant? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mo92109 Apprentice

Wow, thank you... I guess I need to be educated better. Lots of info on this site I am collecting and I have an appointment to have a sonogram on my pelvis and abdomen to check out the bloating.

Thanks again, it is nice to know that maybe I am NOT getting stupider.

gfsimon Newbie

I have all these things you listed and my blood test is where it showed up not in the biopsy so my doctor wanted me to go on gluten free diet I have and I am much better - I can even think better, but I have trouble with mouth ulcers everytime I accidently eat gluten, my mouth breaks outs - do you have this problem? I understand that wheat intolerant is the same as gluten intolerant. It is all so new to me, but I do feel better since I have been on the gluten free diet. Gwen

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

falwell57 Newbie

Maureen - I have been gluten-free since Feb. and have learned so so much from reading other people's posts. (I often just want to read all day long to learn more.) Since April, I have become reactive to lactose/casein, and now, most likely caffeine. It makes me have "holes" in my brain power. I can't focus on tasks, organize things, do numbers of any kind (simple adding and subtracting), or get anything done at all. I cannot work anymore, and for a while, I couldn't even work the cash register at our home-owned business. I still do not feel really great, like I did the first 2 months after going gluten-free. I have learned that now that gluten isn't a problem, all the other things that my body has developed sensitivities to are taking their turn making me feel bad. So, unless I get the food sensitivities tests done soon, I will just go back to bare basics and add one thing in at a time. I have read that corn, soy, peanuts, glutamates (MSG), aspartates, and all artificial sweeteners are things that celiacs can easily be sensitive to, especially if it has gone undiagnosed for many years like me - over 40 years till diagnosed. Who knows, the food tests might save me a lot of time of trial and error. If you haven't read it, read The Answer by Dogtor J at www.dogtorj.com It has some interesting information.

BTW - once I got completely OFF the caffeine - tea, coffee, sodas, etc. I can at least "think" again. All I drink is water. Good Luck, Jan

Claire Collaborator

Doctors as well as patients get the wheat and gluten thing mixed up.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. The protein of oats is different but must oats in the US is too gluten contaminated to be safe to eat. Gluten is used in thousands of common products. I saw the other day a statement that 90% of the food in the supermarket contains gluten.

There are people who are allergic to wheat but it is too easy to misidentify the problem,

15 years ago when Celiac was thought to be rare and little research had been done, I was told that i had a Type II, Delayed Food Reaction to all grains except rice and oats. Not one word about gluten. I stopped eating bread and the other flour fillled products but made no attempt as such to avoid gluten. I got remarkably better but still had problems. Only this year did I make the gluten/celiac, Delayed Food Reaction connection. Rather late as I now have neurological problems either caused by or aggravated by the small amount of gluten I was getting.

Get the gluten out before it does you more harm than you want to deal with. Get some tests done and resolve the issue - for certain.

Take care of you. Claire

Mo92109 Apprentice

Thanks everyone. This sucks.

This forum realy helps so much!

Archived