16 replies to this topic

#1 MominSoCal

MominSoCal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I see their GFmenu, but just wondering if anyone has tried it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

No, but I have eaten at several Spaghetti Factories and have not been glutened. I have also been in their kitchen and they cook the pasta separately.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

We just tried a local Olive Garden.  YUCK.  It was with a large party and our food came cold (and gluten free noodles were hard and dry)  Stick to the salad, with no croutons.  My son had the salmon and enjoyed it. 

Could have been this location.

Michigan

#4 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I ate at an Olive Garden in Washington and it was ok.  Just ok.  I wouldn't pick it as a return to place unless there was no other choice.  It was just sort of blah! 

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Food is bleh and you really have to watch the salad.  They'll put croutons on it even when you remind them not to.  And then they'll try to pick them off!

#6 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

What would be the safest thing to eat here?

#7 MsMarginalized

MsMarginalized

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Food is bleh and you really have to watch the salad.  They'll put croutons on it even when you remind them not to.  And then they'll try to pick them off!

Before you send it back, throw on some katsup or scoop something else off of someone elses plate (ask their permission firs) and plop it on top.  Tell the server that you CANNOT have this bowl because you CANNOT pick all the gluten off.  The katsup/sauce from other plate should act as a marker that this is the original/glutened problem plate.

You can also cut meat in a strange way before sending it back if it got glutened.  (I read both of these suggestions either on Elizabeth Hasselbecks website or in 1 of her books.)

#8 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

From my experience I would try an Outback Steakhouse, P.F. Chang's, or Carrabbarra's before going to Olive Garden.  My son did enjoy the fish (I think it was salmon).

Michigan

#9 Rissa019

Rissa019

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

YES! Their pasta is wonderful!! It breaks apart easily, but does not bother me as I am not picky (since you can't exactly be a picky gluten-free eater) hehe.. salads are wonderful too. I was very impressed with how well and educated the waiter was on their gluten free options!

- Recovering from a gluten-damaged belly

Philippians 4:13. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

#10 Kath Urbahn

Kath Urbahn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

From my experience I would try an Outback Steakhouse, P.F. Chang's, or Carrabbarra's before going to Olive Garden.  My son did enjoy the fish (I think it was salmon).

I agree wholeheartedly !!! 

#11 Kath Urbahn

Kath Urbahn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

I didn't care for it.  I thought it was kinda gross.  And yeah, the salads, they're really bad about still putting croutons on it, and then just picking them off when you repeat that you cannot have croutons.  I go elsewhere, though I used to love Olive Garden.  Before I knew they had gluten-free pasta, though, I asked them for some mixed steamed veggies, and asked them to put marinara and a healthy sprinkle of cheese over it.  They were happy to comply.  It was DELICIOUS!!! :P

#12 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

We've had good luck at Olive Garden, but we live in a small market, and it's easy for the servers to get to know us.  We usually go with a good friend who doesn't mind omitting croutons (even though both he and I can have them), so there is no confusion about the salad.  The pasta is a bit dry, but we solve that by getting marinara sauce "for the breadsticks," then giving it to my celiac hubby to add to his pasta.  We do have a Biaggi's here, and that is our favorite place to go for Italian.

#13 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I  agree  with the  others  olive  garden is our  least  favorite.. There  food  is like  airline  food ,ready made  &  reheated.... I  have  eaten  there not  by  choice  ,  they  brought  me  a  separate  salad  &  dipping  oil ( I brought my  gluten-free  breadsticks) salad  was  freshly made... I  had a beef  skewer  with  veggies .... was  just  okay. Not  worth  the price... The  Pf Chang's,  Outback, or  Carrabas'  is  way  better....

#14 Charfet

Charfet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I tried the other day & it was very good.  I had the gluten-free Penne Rigate Pomodoro.  The waiter said that they are getting another brand of pasta in a couple of weeks & suggested I come back to try it.  Can't wait, it was so good.

#15 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

UPDATE!!  Our Olive Garden got the different pasta, and it is vast improvement over what they had.  Unfortunately, they have not had the time to print up a new gluten-free menu, but our server was VERY helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: