#1 Curious9

Curious9

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hello, 

I posted a couple weeks ago. I went gluten free for 10.5 days and experienced a huge improvement in my G.I. symptoms. My doctor suggested I go back to eating gluten for 2 weeks to do the blood panel. It has now been exactly 2 weeks. Today I bought the biocard home celiac test. It cost only $50 opposed to the $100 and some for the blood panel. I understand that it is not as complete as it only covers tTG-IgA and if it is negative, I may still consider going for the blood panel. Since I was only gluten free for 10.5 days and have been eating gluten again for 14 days, do you guys think I can do the test now? I know there is no definitive answer to this question, just looking for some opinions.

Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Probably.... but if you can wait longer I would.

I'm one who did the Biocard test once and I barely had a positive line. I wasn't eating huge amounts of gluten at the time, I think about once or twicea day for 3-4 weeks (I was pretty gluten light prior to that), and my positive was barely visible. I don't think it helped that I did not get the full amount of blood into the tiny tube either.

I upped my gluten intake for two more weeks and went to a doctor to have the same test done (tTG IgA) and it cam back extremely positive. I don't know if it was because it was a more sensitive lab, a fuller blood sample or a longer and heavier gluten challenge.

If you can wait longer, I would but I know that is easier said than done! Good luck.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 tommysmommy

tommysmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

A celiac test is complicated and can only be done by certain labs with the expertise to run the panel accurately. I'd return the home test and go through your doctor. Also note, a blood test alone is rarely enough for a medical diagnosis, the second step is endoscopy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: