3 replies to this topic

#1 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum thread - but I was not sure where else to post this. I was diagnosed with celiac disease just over three months ago (early July) and I have been avoiding gluten since then. My boyfriend has recently told me that since the diagnosis, my breath has been - bad, for lack of a better word. The strange thing is that I have very good oral hygiene - I brush my teeth twice a day, I floss, I only drink water - and I've never had a cavity. I just went to the dentist a few days ago and she once again told me how clean my teeth are, and there was no mention of any bad breath. I don't taste or smell anything different. I've read that bad breath is a symptom of celiac disease and that it can have something to do with your gut issues, not your oral hygiene - but the problem is that even after I drink plenty of water and even about an hour after I brush my teeth, he still notices it. It's really embarrassing and I'm not sure how to fix it. What else can I do but take care of my mouth/teeth? My doctor told me I have a problem with stomach acid, so I'm wondering if that will stop it. Also, I was looking into gluten free mouth wash and I was happy to discover the Tom's of Maine mouthwash in my cabinet was gluten free...but I woke up today with a terrible aftertaste. There's no way I can keep using that, I feel like it will make it worse. Does anyone have any similar experiences, or can anyone recommend a decent gluten free mouthwash? I'm perplexed by this...I've never had anyone say anything about my breath and my oral hygiene is, again, impeccable. This is terribly embarrassing and I don't know what to do about it. 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I use Crest Pro Health rinse.  Like you said, there are many causes of bad bread.  Here is some information on the subject, it might help you find the cause.

http://www.halitosis...sis-causes.html

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thank you for your reply. :) I actually read from another member that her son was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and he was told that's what caused his bad breath. I am lactose intolerant as well! I guess I'll be cutting back on dairy and using my lactaid pills more often - I only use them for high lactose dairy products, I don't bother when eating cheese, sour cream, etc - so I'm not absorbing it properly. What a relief! That has to be it.

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#4 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Did you have an endoscopy done? My husband said after my endoscopy my breath was really bad for some time. Maybe it's because the tube makes stuff come up (I also have GERD) I don't know but he said in 17 years if marriage that was the first time he ever noticed it.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: