4 replies to this topic

#1 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

This does not happen all the time, rather on occasion.

I will wake up in the morning and when i get out of bed my stomach starts doing this weird cramping thing (no other way to explain it). My stomach rolls and I feel like i'm going to get sick. If i ignore it and don't eat anything (which seems to help a litle bit), it can and will escalate into full abdomen cramps.

This is something that has been going on for several years. It only happens when i have to get up early as well.

Any ideas? I've tried tracking food among other things, none of which hasn't helped.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I get something kind of like that but usually only if I eat immediately after getting up. I generally have to wait about 2 hours before eating a meal after waking up or it makes me sick. Doesn't matter what I eat, either. There is a rare occasion when I wake up starving that I can eat something small and be ok but those times really are very rare.

Wish I could help! Hugs to you!

#3 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

A few possibilities come to mind...

If you're eating too close to when you go to bed, or eat gas-producing food at dinner time, this can cause pain in the morning.

If you are not getting enough sleep, this can actually throw off your metabolism and even affect your blood sugar levels, which can cause morning nausea, cramping, light headedness, etc.

Not to be an alarmist, but if it happens often - or several days in a row - you should mention it to your doctor because it could be a serious intestinal thing, or a form of IBS.  Certain types of cancer can present themselves this way too.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

A few possibilities come to mind...

If you're eating too close to when you go to bed, or eat gas-producing food at dinner time, this can cause pain in the morning.

If you are not getting enough sleep, this can actually throw off your metabolism and even affect your blood sugar levels, which can cause morning nausea, cramping, light headedness, etc.

Not to be an alarmist, but if it happens often - or several days in a row - you should mention it to your doctor because it could be a serious intestinal thing, or a form of IBS.  Certain types of cancer can present themselves this way too.

The sleep idea is a good one. There are times when i get very little sleep.

Before my celiac dx I would have it nearly every morning in one form or another (in this case it was almost always an upset stomach).

Now it only occurs maybe once or twice a month, if that.

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

On occasion I'll wake up with stomach pains, and sometimes feeling a bit nauseous... not because I ate (or drank) too much the night before, but because I didn't eat enough! I wake up starving! Sometimes it will wake me up in the night insisting that I must be fed and have to do some bleary-eyed middle of the night munching just to settle things down and get to sleep.

But it definitely could be a blood-sugar thing, or a not enough sleep thing (I also feel nauseous when I don't have enough sleep).

Maybe record what/when you ate the night before when this happens, and see if any patterns show up?

No idea if its a Celiac/gluten related problem or not.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: