Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Full Work Load, Exhaustion, And Drugs.

2 posts in this topic

You know how many celiacs are tired all of the time? It makes performing well at school or work very difficult. Even when I eat as healthy as I can and take my supplements  I still have issues falling asleep or not being able to focus. 

So in college when a friend I trusted gave me adderall, I gave it a shot. I would take 10-20mg to study during finals week. I loved how tuned in it made me feel. Like awake and able to access all of the information in my brain, rather than stupid brain-fog. I had never been able to feel so clear (I wasn't dx'd until a year after graduating from college). 

I stopped taking adderall after college and didn't start taking it again until about two months ago. It had been about 3 years, and I figured I knew how to control it. But I was so eager to perform well at my job that I lost my head and started taking 10mg on work days and 20mg on weekends. Always for work, never for play. 

But yesterday I experienced serotonin syndrom. Luckily, my roommate is a nurse and he knew how to counter act the effects. But that wasn't until hours after taking the drugs, and my suffering and fear of dying. 

I am done with the drugs. Forever. But I worry I won't be able to be productive at work. I know I should eat well, take supplements, and exercise. But even with all of that I can't focus and I fall asleep. I've been dx'd with celiac for over a year and a half, but I can't beat the fatigue.

What can I do to be healthy and productive?

Please have your thyroid checked because it can cause all the symptoms you are describing.  Thyroid disease is very common with Celiac. At 1 1/2 years into the gluten-free diet, you should not be this tired and unfocused so I would look for another underlying cause.  Also, have your vitamin levels checked to see if they are within normal, optimal ranges.

I work more than full time and, although I still had some symptoms until the 3 year mark, the brain fog and fatigue were much, much better after a year. I also have Hashi's thyroid disease and those particular symptoms will return if my thyroid is off.

Hang in there and hope you feel better soon!