Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Frustrated With Dr

2 posts in this topic

I just received my results back from my endoscopy and colonoscopy. Everything was negative. When I asked how many biopsies the Dr took, the receptionist said 7 (but only 1 in the small intestine). He did not do a blood test prior to the procedures. My PCP who referred me specifically said to test for Celiac. My instructions from the GI office is to continue Prilosec (which was giving to me Oct 3) and take Immodium and return in 3 months. I feel like the last 2 months have been wasted and no telling how much $$.

My choices are

1. Go back to my PCP and ask for a celiac panel. Dr visit: $100+ costs of blood tests (my annual blood tests run $125-200, so no telling how much a panel will cost).

2. Follow the GI instructions and be in pain for 3 more months and then pay $150 to see him again.

3. Go to another GI, which who knows how much that will be. Probaly $150-225 for office visit. Plus tests costs. My endoscopy/ colonoscopy was $1000 (hospital fee)+ dr fee+anesthia fee (haven't received bills yet).

4. Go gluten free and see how I feel.

Since the end of August to now, we have/will spend about $2500-3000 for my digestive issues and really didn't testing done that needed to be done. With our high deductible, this is all out of the pocket.

Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, Cancer, Bacteria, etc has been ruled out. But now I'm wondering if that is bogus too since he ruled out Celiac.

The reasons I wanted a dx was so I know how careful I need to be, whether or not to get my son tested, and to have "proof" that im not crazy..

Ads by Google:

If I were you....I would talk to my regular Dr. since he seems to be on board with the Celiac thing. Let him know exactly what you put in your post about the lack of biopsies and that the GI was an idiot. Then ask him for the Celiac panel blood tests. Do the blood work then after giving the blood for said blood work I would go on a gluten free trial. Depending on whether you're willing to spend more money to go see a new GI doc for another round of biopsies. If you are, wait for the biopsies to be done and then do the trial gluten free.

How frustrating it is to have doctors that don't know what they're doing when it comes to this. There is actually a topic here in the forums devoted just to that....but I don't remember off the top of my head where it is.

Hope you can get some answers. Either from doctors that are doing a decent job or from your own trial and error.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Laurabella, Yes, you could have celiac disease!  It is important to keep eating gluten until all testing is completed, including an endoscopy with biopsy samples if the doctor recommends it.  The doctors usually do want the endoscopy.  The biopsy samples of the small intestine lining (4 to 6 samples) are checked for microscopic damage that indicates celiac disease.  Gall bladder problems can happen with celiac disease.  Your pain could also be from intestinal damage in any part of the small intestine. Some things you could try while you are waiting for your tests to be completed are stopping all dairy, and taking peppermint tea for gas in the stomach.  Celiac disease damage makes it hard to digest dairy sugar (lactose) and that can cause bloating and pain.  Constipation and diahrea are also possible fun symptoms. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Beachgrl, We have had members with microscopic colitis before, usually in addition to celiac disease.  Have you been tested for celiac disease?  The reason I ask is, it is much better to be tested for celiac before starting the gluten-free diet.  The primary tests for celiac are to detect antibodies to gliaden in the bloodstream.  Those antibodies start to decline when a person stops eating gluten, so the tests become useless. There is no reason a person can't have more than one digestive system disease.  So it is smart to be tested for celiac disease if you can get the testing arranged.  Any change in symptoms after stopping gluten is an indicator that gluten is causing a reaction of some kind.  It could be celiac, or it could be non-celiac gluten intolerance, (NCGI).  There aren't any reliable tests for NCGI yet. Welcome to the forum!
    • I have microscopic colitis. Having a bad flare of D.  On Budesonide for first time for this. It's helping some- only on it a week. Do you think gluten free would help even if tested negative a few years ago?  Was gluten free yesterday and no BM changes. Even had cramps this AM that wasn't really having before. Thank you!!
    • Do you want to tell us the name of it ans where it is located.  maybe someone else will be looking for a restaurant there. Also, it is very helpful if you go to Find me Gluten Free and review it.
    • Hi. Im currently under consultants at my hospital,  and have just been for a blood test to test for celiacs. My symptoms are.... Low weight (8stone and 5ft6tall) Joint pain,particularly my hips and lower back  Severe pain in my gall bladder area which happens spontaneously... Especially after eating foods containing gluten.  When i have foods with wheat in i pain in my  right side just under my bottom rib, i become a bit spaced out and cant focus on anything. Also get diahorrea aswell. I recently contracted C-Diff and was in hospital for 4 days very poorly. Im 29years old (female) and the doctors r trying to work out what is wrong with me. I have always struggled to gain weight,  even after having 2 children i am still only 8stone. I was just wondering if u think i could have celiacs?  The pain in my side has been on and off for 7years! And the last 3years its been severe. And it definitely comes on as soon as i have gluten/wheat.   
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Laurabella