Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Got Glutened...ugh

6 posts in this topic

I let a friend cook an extravagant dinner for a group, she knows I have celiac...but something slipped in there obviously.  This was LAST Sunday...as in, the 13th.  It took a few days before I knew what was going on...but then it hit me, and hit me hard.  And still is.  I've been gluten-free for over a year now...this has to be my biggest unknown slip-up, and I'm miserable!  My stomach is making noises it never should.  Food is literally running out of me.  It's been almost 2 weeks...anything I can do to ease the "pain"??  I thought it would be out of my system by now!  Dang food anyway...

Ads by Google:

I've had a similar experience recently and the only thing that helped me was gluten and wheat free slippery elm (in capsule form). Hope this helps. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

i am right there with you - not last saturday, but the saturday before we went out of town and one of the places we ate at (yeah, i broke my own rules - sick of hearing 'we're hungry, where should we eat" so i did the 'find me gluten-free' app (which is actually pretty good on the phone - i thought it was better than the website) and let them pick some places - MISTAAAKKE!)  evidently glutened me.  i am just starting to feel a little better today  :(  this thing is soooo miserable.  my digestive issues weren't as bad as the neuro ones this time.  i am going to take that as i am doing pretty good with healing after 3 years lolz - but - i thought it might go away sooner(it's 14 days for me)  but i am still dragging and staying pretty close to the bathroom :( and bed :( 

hard to believe i used to feel like this (or worse!) all the time...  wait it out, be gentle on your insides as far as foods, drink water, for me,. hot showers maybe, i guess mostly time.  feel better soon!  :)

When I have been hit, I double the probiotics for a week  (dose in morning, dose at bedtime) and it knocks down the inflammation

and I drink a lot of water. Take it slow, rest. It's all we can do.

Time heals.

I eat mostly carby stuff (I know, fattening) but toast with jam  just makes me feel better and then, just ride it out.

Sorry, hunny ((HUGS))

Thanks for all the good advice, and support!  I know we all try hard to be super careful...but sometimes it happens!  I really need to get back on a good probiotic...I used to take it religously, but have slacked lately.  Hadn't heard of the slippery elm...I'll look into that too!  I am just sick of having to run to the bathroom 100 times a day...gets old!! :angry:

I've heard papaya extract (papayne sp?) can be helpful but I think after two weeks, it wouldn't do much.  :(

L-glutamine is helpful in healing muscular linings (ie. the intestines). That might be one to try. It's usually in health food stores.

I hope you turn a corner this weekend.  (hugs)