This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Allergy Now?

mmcc54

mmcc54 Contributor

Hi everyone so my 18 month old was diagnosed with celiacs right after her first birthday shes stil breast fed but withing the past month shes been drinking more whole milk out of a sippy...since then shes had a red rash around her mouth it looks very much like the rash she gets on her back from gluten...I KNOW shes not getting gluten so that's not an issue...could she now have a milk allergy too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taking her to the Drs today but wanted to get some feedback from other people...is this a common thing in suffers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

If the only thing she has is a red rash around her mouth, I would not leap to an allergy.  Are her diapers okay?  Any swelling?  Vomiting? Those would be signs of a true allergy (IgE mediated).  It may be an intolerance though those signs are usually GI in nature.  I would be VERY reluctant to do allergy testing at all.  They are notoriously INACCURATE and can lead to removing foods unnecessarily.

shadowicewolf Proficient

If the only thing she has is a red rash around her mouth, I would not leap to an allergy.  Are her diapers okay?  Any swelling?  Vomiting? Those would be signs of a true allergy (IgE mediated).  It may be an intolerance though those signs are usually GI in nature.  I would be VERY reluctant to do allergy testing at all.  They are notoriously INACCURATE and can lead to removing foods unnecessarily.

However, if something is suspected, they can be useful.

StephanieL Enthusiast

However, if something is suspected, they can be useful.

Yes, that's true. The current recommendation is that unless there is a KNOWN reaction, testing not be conducted. A rash around the mouth would not be considered a reaction.

bartfull Rising Star

Maybe there is something in the plastic the sippy cup is made of that she is reacting to? Try giving her whole milk out of a different container for a while and see if the rash goes away.

Or maybe she has taken up a new behavior. Sometimes kids go through phases where they will do the strangest things, like start chewing on a stuffed animal that they sleep with. Could be she is just rubbing her mouth area a lot.

IrishHeart Veteran

IMHO

StephanieL has major life experience with allergies in children, so in this case, I am going to say..."whatever she says".

StephanieL Enthusiast

IMHO

StephanieL has major life experience with allergies in children, so in this case, I am going to say..."whatever she says".

lol  So I'm an expert in something after all ;)  Just wish this wasn't it just like all you hear being Celiac experts right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

lol  So I'm an expert in something after all ;)  Just wish this wasn't it just like all you hear being Celiac experts right?

sigh....yes, I never expected to become so fluent in poopology or matters of the GI tract. I mean...blech. lol

mommy2krj Explorer

Both my boys get cold sore type things around their mouths. Especially this time of year. My oldest gets it the worst, though. Thankfully it is finally not appearing so much for him any more as he's almost 16 and I know that would be embarrassing. But they get them from chewing/sucking on their clothes.

It's hard to describe it as it starts out looking like a rash around their mouths. Then after a week or two it turns into this big, scabby, ugly looking thing all the way around. Some years it travels down his chin. When it gets really bad and stays for a long time...it hurts. I'm just glad he's finally getting over his need to chew on the collar of his shirt/jacket.

My youngest son does the same thing but not anywhere close to the extent of his older brother so he's only gotten it once or twice.

Our neighbor kid would get the same thing for the same reason.

There are things other than allergies that can give your kiddo a rash around the mouth. Hand, foot, mouth can do the same thing. Yeast infections can too. Ah, the joys of little kids. :) Hope you get it figured out. Little kids can get some of the most mysterious ailments!

mmcc54 Contributor

Thanks everyone for the input! This was a sippy she would drink water out of for awhile same cup no different soap so I don't think that's it...she sleeps swaddled tight still so she doesn't rub her face. The rash started with milk 4 weeks ago...its now gone after no milk for 2 days! Its hard to tell if anything else has been bothering her since she doesn't really talk but the rash around her mouth very much mimicked her gluten rash which would appear on her lower back hours after eating..I don't know what to think! Her pedi did send a referral for the allergist and she sees her GI dr on Friday...a lot of people have told me the celiacs do sometimes have a hard time with dairy? Is that true?? THANK YOU ALL for taking the time to help!

mommy2krj Explorer

Thanks everyone for the input! This was a sippy she would drink water out of for awhile same cup no different soap so I don't think that's it...she sleeps swaddled tight still so she doesn't rub her face. The rash started with milk 4 weeks ago...its now gone after no milk for 2 days! Its hard to tell if anything else has been bothering her since she doesn't really talk but the rash around her mouth very much mimicked her gluten rash which would appear on her lower back hours after eating..I don't know what to think! Her pedi did send a referral for the allergist and she sees her GI dr on Friday...a lot of people have told me the celiacs do sometimes have a hard time with dairy? Is that true?? THANK YOU ALL for taking the time to help!

Celiacs do often have dairy issues....though from what I've read and seen with my own little guy they are mostly digestive. Not to say it can't rear it's ugly head any other way...just the digestive issues are more common. It's so hard when they're that little to try to figure out what's going on with their bodies.

Let us know what the allergist says and the GI. We did cut milk consumption by quite a bit but it was due to still having stomach troubles. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out!

mmcc54 Contributor

she has an allergist apt on the 14th! I will update this after so anyone with future issues will see the outcome :) Thank you all!

StephanieL Enthusiast

Be mindful that allergy results are very often inaccurate. I would not suggest (and a GOOD Dr. should not either) testing for anything other than milk because of the high false positive rates. Also, some kids have very reactive skin and it isn't a good indicator for skin testing esp. those with eczema.  

Archived