32 replies to this topic

#1 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Because my celiacs are still quite young and can't control themselves to crumbs on the floor I'd like to make a sign for the front door.  This would be a visual for adults to keep their Cheerios and their granola bars in their bags and not on my kitchen table!  It would hang next to the doorbell so it can't be missed.

Help me brainstorm ideas - this was what first came to mind, but I'm having a real mental block on this because I don't want to sound controlling, but also want to make my point.

"Welcome to our gluten free home!

Please do not bring any food into the house.

Please wash your hands upon entrance.

Thank you for understanding! :)"

I've seen these for nut-free houses and they always have the smiling peanut in the picture, but wheat would look goofy just hanging out on a piece of plastic.  I so wish I had a graphic arts background right now...

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Because my celiacs are still quite young and can't control themselves to crumbs on the floor I'd like to make a sign for the front door.  This would be a visual for adults to keep their Cheerios and their granola bars in their bags and not on my kitchen table!  It would hang next to the doorbell so it can't be missed.

Help me brainstorm ideas - this was what first came to mind, but I'm having a real mental block on this because I don't want to sound controlling, but also want to make my point.

"Welcome to our gluten free home!

Please do not bring any food into the house.

Please wash your hands upon entrance.

Thank you for understanding! :)"

I've seen these for nut-free houses and they always have the smiling peanut in the picture, but wheat would look goofy just hanging out on a piece of plastic.  I so wish I had a graphic arts background right now...

Or, you could just infrom people who are coming over not to bring any.

Edit to add: People can tend to overlook signs.

#3 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Weird - my post didn't show up!

Oh, yes, I tell people to not bring anything!  No worries about that.  Our house is *the* house for entertaining so it's not uncommon to have families with young kids coming and going all the time.  Since so many moms keep snacks in their purse/diaper bag I wanted ONE more reminder to not bring it in.  Some moms have already shown up with food and had me "approve" it at the front door before even stepping inside.  I think most people recognize that I'm doing this for my kids (I hope!) so they'll just see it as a gentle reminder.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#4 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think it could be a good idea. I've known some new moms who feel very scatter-brained. They probably wouldn't remember that kind of gluten-free protocol and would just walk in feeding their kids Life cereal and cookies. Another perk is that hopefully your guests won't feel accosted by you reminding them when they walk in the door, and you won't feel annoying.

I think your wording is friendly and to the point, but maybe instead of saying "please don't bring any food into the house" maybe say "please keep all food in your purse" or something to that extent. I think it sounds less strict and a little more realistic. 

Also, search google images for gluten free and you'll see tons of options. :)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

I think your idea for a sign is perfect. And I would also keep paper towels by the nearest sink instead of real towels, because some people might either pretend to wash their hands, or not wash them well. I'd hate to see your little ones transfer the potential gluten from the towels to their hands.

Here at the shop I don't have a sign about food, but I have told all of my regulars not to bring in food, and if a customer I don't know brings in food, I politely ask them to go put it in the car. I just tell them I have food allergies because it is easier than explaining intolerances. No one has ever been offended.

Perfume, on the other hand, has been a problem. I have asthma, and I have asked a few "regulars" not to wear it, and they HAVE been offended. It's OK. If they are that inconsiderate, I'd rather have them stay away anyway.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

When we have parties, we put something like this on the invitation:  Due to food allergies in our home, please do not bring any food.  But most people I invite know about my Celiac.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'd make it light and simple and funny if I had kiddos coming to my house.

"No wheat, no crumbs, no food allowed.

We're glad you're here, come join the crowd!"

and have a big smiling cute picture like this guy

kitten-says-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

They already know about your kids' celiac, so there's no need to hammer it home too much.

I would not insist  people walk straight to the bathroom to wash their hands. That, to me, sounds like

a criticism of their cleanliness habits. IMO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Here's the reason (with kids) you want people washing their hands right away, and why I did it to my toddler cousin when I babysat him. Toddlers are, to be blunt, cesspools of gluten. They even eat in the car. They show up on doorsteps, hands covered in poison. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that they make an attempt to wash the stuff off when they show up before touching everything in the house, or your kid.

Of course, take everything I say about kids with a grain of salt because as I've said before they scare the crap out of me. I won't go near the things if I don't have to, little poison bombs. :ph34r:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I dunno, if I had kids I'd make everyone wash their hands. Most people eat in

the car, so even just the steering wheel would be contaminated, and I've had

enough small children chew on my hands to know how easy that transfer would

be. Not to mention all the dirty food-covered money, fast-food joint door handles,

and who knows what that people touch without thinking about it. As an adult

living alone I can monitor what I put in my mouth, but a two-year old is pretty

hard to police lol~

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Of course, take everything I say about kids with a grain of salt because as I've said before they scare the crap out of me. I won't go near the things if I don't have to, little poison bombs. :ph34r:

:lol: Little Poison Bombs... LMBO  :P  :D

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

:lol: come on guys, I have been around kids all my life (teaching, babysitting, lots of nephews and nieces, godchildren and even holding babies

while their parents were represented in family court)

and yeah, they can get messy, but I find it hard to believe any mother coming to visit the OP is going to allow her babes

to walk through the door, filthy, smeared and covered in gluten muck. and even if they did, I wouldn't let them put their hands in my mouth.

eww!

Maybe you have met some pretty dirty kids in your lives, but I just don't see rushing to the door and saying:

"OMG! everyone--go hose off!! Now! you've been handling money and doorknobs and steering wheels and maybe even boogers!! arrgh!"... so, does this mean even the parents have to march to the bathroom and wash up too? yowzers....I think I'd be insulted that she does not think I am washing my hands.

Geesh....the bigger concern might be them bringing in the  flu. 

Too much "watchdog" may make these people think twice about visiting. Give them some credit and see if they come and honor your request first before making it so difficult.

IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

:lol: come on guys, I have been around kids all my life (teaching, babysitting, lots of nephews and nieces, godchildren and even holding babies

while their parents were represented in family court)

and yeah, they can get messy, but I find it hard to believe any mother coming to visit the OP is going to allow her babes

to walk through the door, filthy, smeared and covered in gluten muck. and even if they did, I wouldn't let them put their hands in my mouth.

eww!

Maybe you have met some pretty dirty kids in your lives, but I just don't see rushing to the door and saying:

"OMG! everyone--go hose off!! Now! you've been handling money and doorknobs and steering wheels and maybe even boogers!! arrgh!"... so, does this mean even the parents have to march to the bathroom and wash up too? yowzers....I think I'd be insulted that she does not think I am washing my hands.

Geesh....the bigger concern might be them bringing in the  flu. 

Too much "watchdog" may make these people think twice about visiting. Give them some credit and see if they come and honor your request first before making it so difficult.

IMHO

You have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much common sense, Irish!  ;)  I agree with every word here. No need to worry about anything if you wash your hands before eating. It really is as simple as that.

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Except that the OP stated that her kids were still quite young. Little kids will often just pop something into their mouths without washing their hands first. I look at it the same way as folks who worry about their small children at school. Some gluten-handed kid might reach into the celiac kids bag of chips or M&M's and contaminate the whole bag. Better to be safe than sorry.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think your sign is great. I'm considering putting up something like that on my front door, too. Annnnd, here's where I admit that I am not doing it for kids, as I don't have any, but simply because I am terrified of gluten and have worked really hard to scrub all traces of it from my house. But, if I had little kids, I would definitely hang a sign like yours.

Mine might just say "Welcome! This house is gluten free." or something. It will hang right next to the sign that says: "Welcome! This is a shoes free house." Ha! Yeah, I'm that person. :rolleyes:

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

"Welcome! This is a shoes free house." Ha! Yeah, I'm that person. :rolleyes:

:D I'm that person too. Shoe-free. Started when we lived in the country on a dirt road and continues here where the sand is always

finding a way inside.

Maybe we should all get signs saying

Come on in, but take off everything, hose down outside and sit buck naked at the table.

Maybe it's not practical, but it might be fun...and can you imagine the look of horror on Aunt Betty and Uncle George's faces when

they come for Thanksgiving?

(I'm just kidding everyone...don't do this with neighbors and children! then, you'll just be that whacko lady down the street. :blink: )

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: