This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sign For The Front Door...

africanqueen99

africanqueen99 Contributor

Because my celiacs are still quite young and can't control themselves to crumbs on the floor I'd like to make a sign for the front door.  This would be a visual for adults to keep their Cheerios and their granola bars in their bags and not on my kitchen table!  It would hang next to the doorbell so it can't be missed.

Help me brainstorm ideas - this was what first came to mind, but I'm having a real mental block on this because I don't want to sound controlling, but also want to make my point.

"Welcome to our gluten free home!

Please do not bring any food into the house.

Please wash your hands upon entrance.

Thank you for understanding! :)"

I've seen these for nut-free houses and they always have the smiling peanut in the picture, but wheat would look goofy just hanging out on a piece of plastic.  I so wish I had a graphic arts background right now...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Because my celiacs are still quite young and can't control themselves to crumbs on the floor I'd like to make a sign for the front door.  This would be a visual for adults to keep their Cheerios and their granola bars in their bags and not on my kitchen table!  It would hang next to the doorbell so it can't be missed.

Help me brainstorm ideas - this was what first came to mind, but I'm having a real mental block on this because I don't want to sound controlling, but also want to make my point.

"Welcome to our gluten free home!

Please do not bring any food into the house.

Please wash your hands upon entrance.

Thank you for understanding! :)"

I've seen these for nut-free houses and they always have the smiling peanut in the picture, but wheat would look goofy just hanging out on a piece of plastic.  I so wish I had a graphic arts background right now...

Or, you could just infrom people who are coming over not to bring any.

Edit to add: People can tend to overlook signs.

Weird - my post didn't show up!

Oh, yes, I tell people to not bring anything!  No worries about that.  Our house is *the* house for entertaining so it's not uncommon to have families with young kids coming and going all the time.  Since so many moms keep snacks in their purse/diaper bag I wanted ONE more reminder to not bring it in.  Some moms have already shown up with food and had me "approve" it at the front door before even stepping inside.  I think most people recognize that I'm doing this for my kids (I hope!) so they'll just see it as a gentle reminder.

WinterSong Community Regular

I think it could be a good idea. I've known some new moms who feel very scatter-brained. They probably wouldn't remember that kind of gluten-free protocol and would just walk in feeding their kids Life cereal and cookies. Another perk is that hopefully your guests won't feel accosted by you reminding them when they walk in the door, and you won't feel annoying.

I think your wording is friendly and to the point, but maybe instead of saying "please don't bring any food into the house" maybe say "please keep all food in your purse" or something to that extent. I think it sounds less strict and a little more realistic. 

Also, search google images for gluten free and you'll see tons of options. :)

bartfull Rising Star

I think your idea for a sign is perfect. And I would also keep paper towels by the nearest sink instead of real towels, because some people might either pretend to wash their hands, or not wash them well. I'd hate to see your little ones transfer the potential gluten from the towels to their hands.

Here at the shop I don't have a sign about food, but I have told all of my regulars not to bring in food, and if a customer I don't know brings in food, I politely ask them to go put it in the car. I just tell them I have food allergies because it is easier than explaining intolerances. No one has ever been offended.

Perfume, on the other hand, has been a problem. I have asthma, and I have asked a few "regulars" not to wear it, and they HAVE been offended. It's OK. If they are that inconsiderate, I'd rather have them stay away anyway.

kareng Grand Master

When we have parties, we put something like this on the invitation:  Due to food allergies in our home, please do not bring any food.  But most people I invite know about my Celiac.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd make it light and simple and funny if I had kiddos coming to my house.

"No wheat, no crumbs, no food allowed.

We're glad you're here, come join the crowd!"

and have a big smiling cute picture like this guy

kitten-says-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

They already know about your kids' celiac, so there's no need to hammer it home too much.

I would not insist  people walk straight to the bathroom to wash their hands. That, to me, sounds like

a criticism of their cleanliness habits. IMO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Here's the reason (with kids) you want people washing their hands right away, and why I did it to my toddler cousin when I babysat him. Toddlers are, to be blunt, cesspools of gluten. They even eat in the car. They show up on doorsteps, hands covered in poison. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask that they make an attempt to wash the stuff off when they show up before touching everything in the house, or your kid.

Of course, take everything I say about kids with a grain of salt because as I've said before they scare the crap out of me. I won't go near the things if I don't have to, little poison bombs. :ph34r:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I dunno, if I had kids I'd make everyone wash their hands. Most people eat in

the car, so even just the steering wheel would be contaminated, and I've had

enough small children chew on my hands to know how easy that transfer would

be. Not to mention all the dirty food-covered money, fast-food joint door handles,

and who knows what that people touch without thinking about it. As an adult

living alone I can monitor what I put in my mouth, but a two-year old is pretty

hard to police lol~

nvsmom Community Regular

Of course, take everything I say about kids with a grain of salt because as I've said before they scare the crap out of me. I won't go near the things if I don't have to, little poison bombs. :ph34r:

:lol: Little Poison Bombs... LMBO  :P  :D

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: come on guys, I have been around kids all my life (teaching, babysitting, lots of nephews and nieces, godchildren and even holding babies

while their parents were represented in family court)

and yeah, they can get messy, but I find it hard to believe any mother coming to visit the OP is going to allow her babes

to walk through the door, filthy, smeared and covered in gluten muck. and even if they did, I wouldn't let them put their hands in my mouth.

eww!

Maybe you have met some pretty dirty kids in your lives, but I just don't see rushing to the door and saying:

"OMG! everyone--go hose off!! Now! you've been handling money and doorknobs and steering wheels and maybe even boogers!! arrgh!"... so, does this mean even the parents have to march to the bathroom and wash up too? yowzers....I think I'd be insulted that she does not think I am washing my hands.

Geesh....the bigger concern might be them bringing in the  flu. 

Too much "watchdog" may make these people think twice about visiting. Give them some credit and see if they come and honor your request first before making it so difficult.

IMHO

Gemini Experienced

:lol: come on guys, I have been around kids all my life (teaching, babysitting, lots of nephews and nieces, godchildren and even holding babies

while their parents were represented in family court)

and yeah, they can get messy, but I find it hard to believe any mother coming to visit the OP is going to allow her babes

to walk through the door, filthy, smeared and covered in gluten muck. and even if they did, I wouldn't let them put their hands in my mouth.

eww!

Maybe you have met some pretty dirty kids in your lives, but I just don't see rushing to the door and saying:

"OMG! everyone--go hose off!! Now! you've been handling money and doorknobs and steering wheels and maybe even boogers!! arrgh!"... so, does this mean even the parents have to march to the bathroom and wash up too? yowzers....I think I'd be insulted that she does not think I am washing my hands.

Geesh....the bigger concern might be them bringing in the  flu. 

Too much "watchdog" may make these people think twice about visiting. Give them some credit and see if they come and honor your request first before making it so difficult.

IMHO

You have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much common sense, Irish!  ;)  I agree with every word here. No need to worry about anything if you wash your hands before eating. It really is as simple as that.

bartfull Rising Star

Except that the OP stated that her kids were still quite young. Little kids will often just pop something into their mouths without washing their hands first. I look at it the same way as folks who worry about their small children at school. Some gluten-handed kid might reach into the celiac kids bag of chips or M&M's and contaminate the whole bag. Better to be safe than sorry.

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

I think your sign is great. I'm considering putting up something like that on my front door, too. Annnnd, here's where I admit that I am not doing it for kids, as I don't have any, but simply because I am terrified of gluten and have worked really hard to scrub all traces of it from my house. But, if I had little kids, I would definitely hang a sign like yours.

Mine might just say "Welcome! This house is gluten free." or something. It will hang right next to the sign that says: "Welcome! This is a shoes free house." Ha! Yeah, I'm that person. :rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

"Welcome! This is a shoes free house." Ha! Yeah, I'm that person. :rolleyes:

:D I'm that person too. Shoe-free. Started when we lived in the country on a dirt road and continues here where the sand is always

finding a way inside.

Maybe we should all get signs saying

Come on in, but take off everything, hose down outside and sit buck naked at the table.

Maybe it's not practical, but it might be fun...and can you imagine the look of horror on Aunt Betty and Uncle George's faces when

they come for Thanksgiving?

(I'm just kidding everyone...don't do this with neighbors and children! then, you'll just be that whacko lady down the street. :blink: )

Adalaide Mentor

:D I'm that person too. Shoe-free. Started when we lived in the country on a dirt road and continues here where the sand is always

finding a way inside.

Maybe we should all get signs saying

Come on in, but take off everything, hose down outside and sit buck naked at the table.

Maybe it's not practical, but it might be fun...and can you imagine the look of horror on Aunt Betty and Uncle George's faces when

they come for Thanksgiving?

(I'm just kidding everyone...don't do this with neighbors and children! then, you'll just be that whacko lady down the street. :blink: )

Naturally you would remove the sign for family gatherings. It is only for attractive non-related company that you need it. :lol:

I respectfully disagree about the hand washing. I wouldn't if the only person in the house with celiac was an adult. But since the people the concern is about are children too small to truly understand, and presumably the children coming to visit them are also, hand washing isn't a terrible idea. I know it seems outrageous, but there are plenty of scenarios in which a small child will have just eaten and not washed their hands after. We're all taught to wash our hands before we eat, not after, especially if we don't get visibly dirty or sticky.

IrishHeart Veteran

But if they aren't visibly sticky or dirty, how can you reasonably say it's gluten! If I can't see it, I am not assuming anything.

How can you say "Go wash you hands right now" to every person that walks through the door??.

I am trying to say: If a kiddo comes in obviously filthy, hell ya...ask him to go wash his hands.

If someone is coming to visit and they are clean and excited to see your children, the very last thing I would do

is say "Everyone has to wash their hands before coming inside.".

I would hate to see the OP viewed as "that mom".

I am trying to present a reasonable approach, where maybe we at least let people through the front door before we start laying    down

laws and conditions--I mean, we want these moms and their kiddos to come back again, right?--but clearly, my intent is lost.

okee dokee....I'm out.

Good luck, Mom!  ;)

Wow!  Who would have thought a sign to protect the little safe home bubble for my kids would have brought out such emotion?  I'm amazed by that!

I see both sides of the coin.  Truly.  The vast majority of people that come over have kids that are friends with my kids - which means they care about my kids.  I'm thinking a gentle reminder to wash any potential gluten off their hands wouldn't cause an issue.  Maybe I'll change it to "Please consider washing your hands if you may have any food on them."

I will say that my oldest is allowed a weekly playdate friend to come over after school.  Different kids every single week and not one of them has ever made even an odd peep about washing hands the second they get off the bus.  The oldest is also gluten-free at school so, technically, she shouldn't have any gluten on her hands when she walks in the door.  Do I trust that to be the case?  HECK NO!

To some of the comments - and I really did appreciate your thoughtfulness in replying:

Bartfull - Thank you for the idea of paper towels by the sink!  I seriously would not have thought of that and my kids use that same bathroom towel like everybody else.

Gemini - It's not as easy as just washing your hands before you eat.  My youngest is a year old.  If a friend drops a goldfish on the floor she would eat it.  If a friend has gluten-y hands and then plays with her stuff before she sucks her thumb then she's toast.

IrishHeart - I get what you're saying, I really do.  Do you get where some of the others are coming from?  If someone glutens MY kid then I'M the one that has to clean the s$#& off the floor.  I am the one that will be up all night with her while she's in pain.  Those "offended" people aren't the one trying to console her for five straight hours at night and working off steam for sleep.  I absolutely believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt...until I know that the doubt is what hurts my kids.

kareng Grand Master

I will say that my oldest is allowed a weekly playdate friend to come over after school.  Different kids every single week and not one of them has ever made even an odd peep about washing hands the second they get off the bus. 

Whether it is really necessary or not... I don't know.  Its harmless, so why not?

I actually know a lot of people, especially when something is going around at school, who make kids wash their hands when they come home.  My older son had a friend with a fragile system and everyone had to wash hands and take off shoes at the door.  It may not be that odd to kids, especially if they are going to have a snack right after coming in the door.

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart - I get what you're saying, I really do.  Do you get where some of the others are coming from?  If someone glutens MY kid then I'M the one that has to clean the s$#& off the floor.  I am the one that will be up all night with her while she's in pain.  Those "offended" people aren't the one trying to console her for five straight hours at night and working off steam for sleep.  I absolutely believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt...until I know that the doubt is what hurts my kids.

Of course I get where everyone is coming from, hon. If you knew me well, you'd know...that's my best feature! ;) 

I  like to consider all the sides of the situation. That's what discussions on a forum are for, right?

We all put it out there and weigh all the options. We work together and we respect each other even if we do not always agree. You asked a question and we answered in a variety of ways. It always helped me with decision-making.

(At least, that's how I operate. I shouldn't speak for everyone else).

As always, feel free to disregard anything I say. Best wishes to you!

Besides, you're the mom--and what moms say rule (my 85 year old Mom told me to say that)

(and for the record, I have always kept paper towels in my bathrooms. I prefer them myself.)

Gemini Experienced
Gemini - It's not as easy as just washing your hands before you eat.  My youngest is a year old.  If a friend drops a goldfish on the floor she would eat it.  If a friend has gluten-y hands and then plays with her stuff before she sucks her thumb then she's toast.

Well...actually it is.  There are too many people who overthink and over worry this stuff.  Do you think that kids years ago didn't have food allergies and intolerances that had to be dealt with?  We did not use signage, either.

Obviously, with small children, you have complete control over what they eat.  When other kids come over, they wash their hands before they start playing because that's what you have to do when you come in from the outside world and play with a kid with allergies/intolerances.  Kids seem to be always eating today so probably a good idea anyway...from a colds and flu point of view also. If they play in your house, gluten-free snacks only.  As for other people's homes, that's something you'll have to figure out, depending on who your friends are. You may even have to drop some friends if your kids get sick all the time while with them because there will always be those who just don't get it.

But you do not have to keep your kids in a bubble and you will also have to accept that once in a while, it may happen they take a hit.  That's life and it isn't going to be possible to protect them from the outside world 100% of the time. The only way to avoid it more is to prohibit food when you have company....unless you provide it and it's gluten-free.

Putting out a sign is a big turn-off for many.  Wouldn't your close friends know what to do, once you tell them?

nvsmom Community Regular

I think Gemini could be right that the sign is a turn-off, plus I think it wouldn't be that effective as most people are doing a meet and greet at the door and busy hanging up jackets and such.  My opinion that a verbal reminder before people come over and as they come in, should be enough. Once poeple are good at it, a complement along the lines of :"I appreciate that you've helped me keep Dd or Ds safe, thanks." Just repeat that one every few months and I imagine it would be good.

If people are not respecting your wishes then don't invite them over, meet at a park or somewhere else to chat - something not food oriented.  

Best wishes.  :)

StephanieL Enthusiast

How can you say "Go wash you hands right now" to every person that walks through the door??.

I say this "Did you wash your hands yet?  You can use the bathroom or the kitchen."  And I watch them till they go do it. To every person who comes in my house every time they come into my house. 

And they leave shoes at the door too.  Why would I want the shoes you walk around in public with all day every day on the floor when I walk with no socks on!  Ewwww ;)   

I'm fun to live with and fun to visit.  My house, my rules. Don't like it, don't some back ;) 

I have also washed off people fast food cups they bring into my home.  Oh and if my Mother or MIL puts her filthy purse onto my kitchen table where we eat one more time I will make her lick it clean (after brushing her teeth of course!)  

IrishHeart Veteran

I say this "Did you wash your hands yet?  You can use the bathroom or the kitchen."  And I watch them till they go do it. To every person who comes in my house every time they come into my house. 

And they leave shoes at the door too.  Why would I want the shoes you walk around in public with all day every day on the floor when I walk with no socks on!  Ewwww ;)   

I'm fun to live with and fun to visit.  My house, my rules. Don't like it, don't some back ;) 

I have also washed off people fast food cups they bring into my home.  Oh and if my Mother or MIL puts her filthy purse onto my kitchen table where we eat one more time I will make her lick it clean (after brushing her teeth of course!)  

but, in all fairness, full disclosure for the OP....you have children who have serious life-threatening allergies, too.

I can see why you might have a different set of rules, Stephanie. 

bartfull Rising Star

Not trying to be contentious, HONESTLY I'm not, but didn't we just have a discussion the other day about people thinking allergies are worse than celiac? And didn't most posters say either that celiac was worse because the suffering lasted longer, or think it was insulting for someone to try to "one up" us?

So why is it OK for someone with allergic people in the household to post a sign, but not someone with a one-year-old whom the OP said WOULD pop anything in her mouth, to post a sign?

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/104853-what-do-you-say/

I think everyone is different, and if someone wants to post a sign, they should do it.

Archived