This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rosacea/seborrheic Dermatitis?

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

I have both rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. The dermatitis has gotten a lot better since starting the gluten free diet, it's a work in progress - but the rosacea has never subsided. I don't really have much acne (usually) though when I do break out, Aczone usually helps. I also have a candida issue, so I am currently taking Diflucan every day. I still haven't seen an improvement in my rosacea. When first diagnosed (about 3-4 years ago) I was prescribed Metrogel. That did nothing either.

I know there is no cure for rosacea, but most people at least get it into remission for a few months or weeks at a time, then experience flare ups. Mine has been consistent for years - some days it looks better than others, but it's never fully faded. Any tips or advice? Once my gut fully heals, will the rosacea clear up? I heard Diflucan is a good treatment, but so far it's done nothing to improve my rosacea. It's really just redness all over my cheeks/sides of my face...and acne occasionally (mostly around the time of my period)

Any advice on the seborrheic dermatitis would also be appreciated. This is all extremely overwhelming, I almost feel like I'll never get better. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have both rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. The dermatitis has gotten a lot better since starting the gluten free diet, it's a work in progress - but the rosacea has never subsided. I don't really have much acne (usually) though when I do break out, Aczone usually helps. I also have a candida issue, so I am currently taking Diflucan every day. I still haven't seen an improvement in my rosacea. When first diagnosed (about 3-4 years ago) I was prescribed Metrogel. That did nothing either.

I know there is no cure for rosacea, but most people at least get it into remission for a few months or weeks at a time, then experience flare ups. Mine has been consistent for years - some days it looks better than others, but it's never fully faded. Any tips or advice? Once my gut fully heals, will the rosacea clear up? I heard Diflucan is a good treatment, but so far it's done nothing to improve my rosacea. It's really just redness all over my cheeks/sides of my face...and acne occasionally (mostly around the time of my period)

Any advice on the seborrheic dermatitis would also be appreciated. This is all extremely overwhelming, I almost feel like I'll never get better. 

I have rosacea, except my face is completely clear unless I consume foods that trigger symptoms.  This would include wine (sulfates and tannins) and garlic.  I consume them and every single time my face breaks out (I get tiny pustules, yuck! besides the redness and inflammation.  I used to purchase capryilic day cream from a pharmacy in Colorado and my doctor would write the prescription.  It did a better job than Metrogel.  

But honestly, the real triggers turned out to be my food allergies/intolerances.  I was on Diflucan too but that is for fungal issues (ironically I developed that after my dermatologist prescribed oral antibiotics that I stupidly took for two years!)  It had no impact on my rosacea.  So, keep a food journal.  

Here's a hint....green concealer works wonders during flare ups.   

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I have rosacea and I'm hoping it will resolve soon with the gluten-free diet. Aside from gluten, my triggers are alcohol, heat and stress. When a flare hits, I glow like a big, red tomato.

As cyclinglady mentioned, using make-up with a green tint is a great way to conceal the redness. A green moisturizer is available, too. I use one made by Eucerin and a little goes a long way. I don't wear a lot of make-up so I apply the moisturizer and then sweep over it with a little powder that is made to even out skin tone. 

Thanks for the tips! I never use cover up or concealer. I never found anything that works. : \ And I'm sure as you both know, it's even trickier now because I have to find a good moisturizer that works AND that's gluten free. I'm also very fair skinned, so its hard to find makeup that matches my skin tone. I was already thinking about keeping a food diary, I definitely think that's a good idea to pinpointing flare ups. I don't drink alcohol at all, I avoid spicy foods...I'm not sure what else could be triggering it. I think vinegar triggers it so I stopped using it in my salads...but I haven't seen an improvement. I don't eat that much sugar...and I don't drink ANY sugar since I always just drink water. I am lactose intolerant, but I still eat dairy. I suppose it could be the dairy..but it'll be really hard to give it up completely now that I can't have gluten. 

I know Diflucan is for fungal issues, but I read that it also is sometimes prescribed to help rosacea. :\ So far no changes. 

Could you please give specific examples of concealers/moisturizers/powders, etc? I really don't use any of this stuff. I always just dealt with it without even trying to cover it up. 

answerseeker Enthusiast

I have rosacea too. I've been gluten free since July and have noticed the pustules and papules I would get are gone. My face is clear but still red. The redness on my nose is permanent and can only be removed with laser. But I'm no longer inflamed. I haven't found anything that really works but I use Estée Lauder creme compact makeup which covers it well. I'm very fair and this makeup matches my skin

answerseeker Enthusiast

Oh and I have had great results with natural oils. Emu oil is a really good one, and sea buckthorn oil

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Yes, same with me - I only breakout occasionally and usually the Aczone by dermatologist prescribed me clears it up pretty fast. It's just patchy redness that I'm left with on my cheeks/sides of my face. It's so irritating! Okay, I'll look into the Estee Lauder. Thanks! What brand of sea buckthorn oil do you buy? And how do you apply it? Do you just put a little on a cotton ball and swab it on the red skin? I really haven't tried much for my skin apart from the metrogel, which did nothing at all - and the Aczone only clears up the acne, not the redness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

answerseeker Enthusiast

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Yes, same with me - I only breakout occasionally and usually the Aczone by dermatologist prescribed me clears it up pretty fast. It's just patchy redness that I'm left with on my cheeks/sides of my face. It's so irritating! Okay, I'll look into the Estee Lauder. Thanks! What brand of sea buckthorn oil do you buy? And how do you apply it? Do you just put a little on a cotton ball and swab it on the red skin? I really haven't tried much for my skin apart from the metrogel, which did nothing at all - and the Aczone only clears up the acne, not the redness.

It's this one here

Open Original Shared Link

and the foundation I use

Open Original Shared Link

I use the fair color and it matches perfectly

for the oil you rub in a drop or two on damp skin, google sea buckthorn seed oil and rosacea and you'll get a lot of info!

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

Metrogel didn't do a thing for me either.

My dermatologist suggested CeraVe products for cleansers and moisturizers and they are great.

He also was the one that suggested the Eucerin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion (use sparingly or you'll look like an alien just in time for Halloween!). 

The powder I use is Physician's Formula Mineral Correcting Powder. 

Btw, this didn't work for me but it might for others, my dermo had recommended a trial of Afrin Nasal Spray....applied topically to your face. Uh, yeah, that's right. You spray it on your face and let it air dry. I found this way too drying. Just didn't work for me at all.

Thanks for the tips! I've tried Cerave lotions before...I didn't see any changes. My first dermatologist (I've seen three) first recommended Cetaphil. That one left too much residue, it didn't blend into my skin very well. Cerave was a bit better, but it didn't really improve the condition of my skin. I prefer Simple Skin Care as a moisturizer, they also have a day cream that works well. Additionally, I used to get a really dry, thin patch of skin under one of my eyes...(especially after eating gluten, but I didn't know I had celiac disease at the time. I Just knew it would get worse with certain foods) and they have an eye roll on that i used to use under my eyelids that really helped clear it up. I would definitely recommend that brand for people with seborrheic dermatitis, but I don't think it did anything for the rosacea.

Okay, I will definitely try that Eucerin lotion! I asked my second dermatologist about green tinted lotions/concealers and he brushed it off and told me they didn't work. : ( He did nothing to help me, really. And I've used Physician's Formula before too! You just lightly brush powder on over the lotion? This is really all new to me. I tried the metrogel and when that didn't work I pretty much just tried to avoid triggers. Some days are better than others but like I said, it's never fully gone into 'remission'. It would be nice if I could kind of conceal it while I try to work at making it go away.

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I used to get those dry patches too. It was embarrassing and I had no idea what they were at the time.

I won't say that the CeraVe improved my rosacea at all but the fact that it didn't irritate my skin was huge for me. I was spending A LOT of money trying various products that made my skin even worse.

Even when I use the Eucerin (green) lotion, I still use a different (better?) moisturizer first. I tend to use the Eucerin as make-up even though it is a lotion. I apply just a little green at a time and try to avoid areas that do not tend to be red.  Once I have blended well and it has fully absorbed, I then apply a powder. 

Hmm, okay I will definitely have to look into this. Another question - do you have clogged pores at all? Have you been able to find a toner that doesn't trigger your rosacea or make your skin extremely dry? I haven't found anything that is effective on my pores/blackheads and it's really frustrating. I was told the Aczone would work but it didn't really do anything to improve the blackheads or clogged pores.

ndw3363 Contributor

I use an Apple Cider Vinegar/water mixture as a toner for my rosacea and seb derm.  My face isn't nearly as red as it was before.  My seb derm has gotten out of control lately and I'm pretty sure it's candida related (once again).  God forbid I have a glass of wine or a CARB once in awhile.  I notice it the most on my poor scalp, but also have dry itchy patches on my eyelids and right under my eyes.  Diflucan will work for me to clear it up temporarily, but it comes right back - plus that stuff is really hard on your liver.  I've heard that Nystatin is easier on the system - my Gyn won't prescribe it of course because she doesn't believe in systemic yeast issues.  Have an appt with my dermatologist next week - hopefully she has some better answers (although I know the real answer is don't ever ingest a grain, sugar or a drop of wine the rest of your entire life).  Sigh....

I've tried the Apple Cider Vinegar/Water mixture toner! It actually did work to clear up the seb derm patches, but I didn't see an improvement with my rosacea. Then again, I haven't tried it since I went gluten free. I have considered giving it another go, but I don't want to smell like vinegar. :'( Did you find that the acv helped clear out your pores/blackheads? I never saw that kind of result, but again - I was still eating gluten last time I used it. The results might be even better now.  My scalp was AWFUL. I tried so many different prescription shampoos, natural shampoos, moistruzing shampoos, gluten free shampoos, I tried going 'no poo' and using just baking soda..I tried rinsing my scalp with apple cider vinegar..nothing was working. It's calmed down a lot, but the back of my neck still gets pretty bad and that's where all of the dandruff comes from..so of course, even though my scalp has healed a lot, i still have dandruff. -_- My doctor told me to use Head & Shoulders (as if I didn't try that multiple times already) but I did find it does help in addition with the gluten free diet. Before it didn't really do much, but it could be because I was still eating gluten. Have you tried mometasone? I was prescribed that by my doctor and my current dermatologist. It smells like alcohol and it burns a little, but it's pretty effective. It cleaned my scalp/behind my ears up really well. It's nothing like it was. 

As for the Diflucan, yeah I really didn't want to take a pill...but on top of my existing candida issue, I developed a rash that spread from my neck area down to my stomach. Apparently it's called "Tinea Versicolor" (as if I didn't have enough problems?) so far the rash is still there, it doesn't seem like the Diflucan is making too much of a difference. I mean, it IS improving, but hearing that your candida kept coming back after using Diflucan doesn't make me too optimistic : \ 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use an Apple Cider Vinegar/water mixture as a toner for my rosacea and seb derm.  My face isn't nearly as red as it was before.  My seb derm has gotten out of control lately and I'm pretty sure it's candida related (once again).  God forbid I have a glass of wine or a CARB once in awhile.  I notice it the most on my poor scalp, but also have dry itchy patches on my eyelids and right under my eyes.  Diflucan will work for me to clear it up temporarily, but it comes right back - plus that stuff is really hard on your liver.  I've heard that Nystatin is easier on the system - my Gyn won't prescribe it of course because she doesn't believe in systemic yeast issues.  Have an appt with my dermatologist next week - hopefully she has some better answers (although I know the real answer is don't ever ingest a grain, sugar or a drop of wine the rest of your entire life).  Sigh....

Not true!  You'll be able to have sugar once again and the wine occasionally, if you don't mind a rosacea flare-up.   Diflucan can be hard on your liver, but while you're on it (long term) your doctor should be ordering liver panels every four to six weeks.  Nystatin is not a systemic fix.  It only coats the digestive tract (e.g. good for oral thrush).  

I had to give up wine (still) but switched to beer (no flares), but now with celiac disease, I'm just drinking potato vodka with juice.  That does not affect my face which I think is related to food intolerances/allergies -- anything that can produce inflammation.

I'm the queen of sweets but I did have to abstain until the fungal issues were resolved (about a year).  '

Hang in there! 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Another item in my medicine cabinet is pure Tea Tree oil.  It works as an antibiotic and an anti-fungal.  I apply it to my face during a flare-up.  Works great for athlete's foot too!  I always travel with my tea tree.  

My daughter uses it too and for a toner, she uses old-fashioned Dickenson's witch hazel.  

I have read a lot that sugar is the main culprit with candida/fungal issues...but how do you avoid sugar completely? I don't even drink wine or any other alcoholic beverages - I just drink water. I try not to indulge in gluten free sweets, or even breads - but of course sometimes it's bound to happen...and the sugar content is higher than in the regular products. Then there's fruit, which also has sugar in it.  How do you completely avoid sugar? Does it just mean avoid sweets/candy/juice etc, or all sugar? It seems there is sugar in everything. This is so overwhelming. I am on Diflucan for three weeks, so hopefully it won't do any damage to the liver. I just want to look/feel better, what a process.

Which brand of tea tree oil do you use? Does it actually bring the redness down during a flare up? Do you dilute it at all? I've used tea tree oil soap from Dr. Bronner's before, but not on my rosacea...just my scalp. It sort of helped, but again - this was before i knew i had celiac disease so any improvement was short lived.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have read a lot that sugar is the main culprit with candida/fungal issues...but how do you avoid sugar completely? I don't even drink wine or any other alcoholic beverages - I just drink water. I try not to indulge in gluten free sweets, or even breads - but of course sometimes it's bound to happen...and the sugar content is higher than in the regular products. Then there's fruit, which also has sugar in it.  How do you completely avoid sugar? Does it just mean avoid sweets/candy/juice etc, or all sugar? It seems there is sugar in everything. This is so overwhelming. I am on Diflucan for three weeks, so hopefully it won't do any damage to the liver. I just want to look/feel better, what a process.

Sugar does include fruit.  I went on a four day rotational diet (had allergies and intolerances too) and kept to non-processed meat/fish and veggies.  Only one piece of fruit a week.  Did this for a month.  Added in more fruit, whole grains, seeds, etc.  after that first month.  Avoided processed sugar (cakes, cookies, frozen desserts) for a year except on a holiday.  It's not a complete avoidance, but cutting down on natural and processed sugars (honey, cane sugar, fructose, etc.) helped.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Which brand of tea tree oil do you use? Does it actually bring the redness down during a flare up? Do you dilute it at all? I've used tea tree oil soap from Dr. Bronner's before, but not on my rosacea...just my scalp. It sort of helped, but again - this was before i knew i had celiac disease so any improvement was short lived.

Tea Tree Therapy, but any will do as long as it's in a brown bottle and comes from a safe place (Australia).

notme Experienced

Another item in my medicine cabinet is pure Tea Tree oil.  It works as an antibiotic and an anti-fungal.  I apply it to my face during a flare-up.  Works great for athlete's foot too!  I always travel with my tea tree.  

My daughter uses it too and for a toner, she uses old-fashioned Dickenson's witch hazel.  

i am a huge fan of tea tree oil - i make my own 'salve' (just melt petroluem jelly & add about 4-5 drops of oil) and it keeps my skin from drying out in the winter if i slather it on right after showering.  you would think it would be greasy but my skin just soaks it all up.  i also use shampoo that has tea tree and lavender and it seems to keep the sebhorblabic dermititis <o my that is bad spelling lolz) on my scalp from flaring up unless i stress out for any reason.  then my head itches and my hair falls out  :(  ok, i pull it out.  because it itches....

i did a tiny bit of research on rosecea (my friend has it and he can't get it to go away)  and some of what i found was that when a person stresses out, their ph changes and (expecially on face and certain areas) makes it a wonderful environment for mites to set up housekeeping.  it was a news article - let me see if i can find it....

www.nbcnews.com%2Fhealth%2Ftiny-mites-your-face-may-cause-rosacea-970809&ei=iYVyUuSHA6Kb2wWo_4DQAw&usg=AFQjCNHPWzVxhfCwF7mLhb4TrAj1NSaw2g&sig2=vHf2xfZXBMyXRnOCKlpE5Q&bvm=bv.55819444,d.b2I

if that doesn't work, just google rosecea mites - it was an nbc news story.  anyways, i am trying to convince him to try the gluten-free diet in the interest that it may change his ph altogether.  i know it is driving him insane  :(  why is everybody so afraid of this diet LOLZ  ???

edited to add - i think the stress factor was in a different article - and i can't find it - oopsies

Thanks for all of the input, guys! 

Notme! - It is definitely true that stress is a huge trigger. I always find whenever I get upset/emotional that my face immediately flushes and I can feel how hot it is. People just assume I get embarrassed because it looks like I'm blushing. It seems like everything is a trigger, though...hot weather, cold weather. Exercise. Hot showers. Diet. Alcohol. I remember my face would get HORRIBLY red and hot every time I worked out at the gym...same with when I would get out of the shower. You can't control what the weather is like, so it's hard to prevent triggers that are caused by the weather. This condition itself is stressful, which makes the condition even worse. UGH! Glad I found this site...it's so nice to know that there are others in the same boat.

Archived