2 replies to this topic

#1 elye

elye

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well, you never know where you can end up finding answers to life's big problems.....In the years that I've been here, you wonderful forum members have often come to my rescue. So I figured that some magic just may happen here, again, with a very different subject matter.

My twenty year-old daughter has been accepted into an exchange program for one semester of her third year at the University of Ottawa -- she is heading to the University of Sydney (I still cannot believe this -- thousands of miles away) from February until the end of June 2014. Truly, my little girl has grown up.  :wub:   :(

Everything is set -- she's had her acceptance letters from both universities. BUT.....she cannot find accommodation. She was not accepted into the international residences on campus (too late), and the satellite boarding seems to be all booked. She is really stressed out, trying to find apartments close enough to the campus that fit our budget -- boy, this is one popular university....very little available that we can afford. It's very tough doing this from Canada, I tell ya! She's on the university website, checking out everything that they advise.  So far, no luck. :( So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, any contacts, any leads or wise words for my daughter as she looks for a place to live in Sydney, Australia from about February 20th to June 30th 2014.  Any celiac Aussies on here, looking for a sweet, bubbly, studious student to board with them for four months?  ;)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Neon rainbow

Neon rainbow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

That's awesome, hope she finds a place. My brother recently moved to Sydney (just a jump over the ditch for us) he loves it. Try checking on Facebook, there's probably a Sydney buy/sell page she could post on about finding a place.

Good luck!!

#3 elye

elye

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Looks like she's found something.....thank gawd! :rolleyes:   She's gotten into an off-campus residence, a fifteen-minute walk to classes. Just about anywhere in Australia is going to offer a much nicer commute to school than here in an Ottawa January.....  <_<  The only glitch is that she's got the room on March 1st, but will be arriving there Feb. 24th, so she'll have to do a hostel for that first week or so.

Oh, to be young....  

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: