#1 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had success treating their Celiac related Iron Deficiency Anemia while taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor such as Prilosec or Prevacid?

I am currently taking Prevacid for GERD and have been taking various PPI's for about 3 years now. I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and am hoping that as my body begins to heal that I will be able to stop taking PPI's completely, but I have only been gluten free for a few weeks and still have lots of GERD issues.

I also have moderate anemia and my doctor has recommended that I take either 325 mg of iron, or 65 mg of elemental iron, three times a day. Everything I have read says that PPI's reduce stomach acid and inhibit absorption of iron. My doctor kind of blew me off when I asked him about this and said we could test in a few months to see if I am absorbing the iron. I am wondering if iron supplements will even work in correcting the anemia while I am taking the PPI? I would dive right in and start taking them, but when I have taken iron supplements in the past it has made me very nauseous along with constipation. I'm not sure if I should put my body through taking such high doses of iron if it won't be absorbed anyway?

If anyone here has any experience with the situation I would so appreciate any advice or suggestions. The fatigue and brain fog the anemia is causing me is pretty extreme and I want to work at correcting it as quickly as possible.

For reference my iron blood test numbers are:

Ferritin: 2 , Iron: 11 , Iron Binding Capacity: 466 , Iron Saturation: 2 , Hemoglobin: 9.2 , Hematocrit: 30.7

They are all out of ideal range, but I don't think they are bad enough for IV iron.

Thanks in advance!

Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I had iron deficiency anemia.  My last ferritin check came back at 55 (started at 2).  Anemia was how I was diagnosed back at the end of March 2013 for celiac disease  My doc recommended iron taken twice a day.  I took a cautious approach.  I took nothing -- no supplements for a month.  Then I added in the iron taking only one a day with Vit. C at night prior to going to bed and started all the other supplements recommended on this forum for the various deficiencies I had.  That's it.  After another month I haphazardly began taking two (65 mg.) a day.  I'd reduce my dosage if I felt that it was causing constipation.  

I'm doing great now.  Back to running after a fractured vertebrae in June doing nothing!  (Get a bone scan!)  My hemoglobin is the best it's ever been (I also have Thalassemia another anemia that does not respond to iron).  I declined several blood transfusions by several doctors.  I decided to be patient.

Hopefully, you'll feel more relief in a few weeks and will be able to get off the GERD meds.  

Welcome to the board!

Think about slowly adding iron.  You won't absorb all, but at least a little.   Iron is a cheap supplement (esp. at Costco).  Add into your gluten-free diet, iron rich foods (like molasses, I ate it by the spoonful) and cook in cast iron.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I had iron deficiency anemia.  My last ferritin check came back at 55 (started at 2).  Anemia was how I was diagnosed back at the end of March 2013 for celiac disease  My doc recommended iron taken twice a day.  I took a cautious approach.  I took nothing -- no supplements for a month.  Then I added in the iron taking only one a day with Vit. C at night prior to going to bed and started all the other supplements recommended on this forum for the various deficiencies I had.  That's it.  After another month I haphazardly began taking two (65 mg.) a day.  I'd reduce my dosage if I felt that it was causing constipation.  

I'm doing great now.  Back to running after a fractured vertebrae in June doing nothing!  (Get a bone scan!)  My hemoglobin is the best it's ever been (I also have Thalassemia another anemia that does not respond to iron).  I declined several blood transfusions by several doctors.  I decided to be patient.

Hopefully, you'll feel more relief in a few weeks and will be able to get off the GERD meds.  

Welcome to the board!

Think about slowly adding iron.  You won't absorb all, but at least a little.   Iron is a cheap supplement (esp. at Costco).  Add into your gluten-free diet, iron rich foods (like molasses, I ate it by the spoonful) and cook in cast iron.

Thank you for the great advice cyclinglady!

My anemia was what led to my Celiac diagnosis also. I am more comfortable taking the cautious approach you suggested - and I will try to be patient too. I have been so tired for so long that I want to see instant results, but it sounds like that is not realistic.

I am glad to hear you are doing so great! It is very encouraging. I actually have a Bone Density Scan scheduled for tomorrow. My Vitamin D level came back at 19, so I guess they want to look in to that too. Hopefully all will go well.

I will try the molasses and cast iron too. 

Thanks Again!

Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: