Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Thank You For This Site

4 posts in this topic

Good afternoon! I have been a creeper on this site since June, and just had to join.  I'll hopefully keep this post shorter, but also introduce myself and give some of my background.

I am a stay at home mom with two children, run a small daycare in my home and also have a part time job as a bookkeeper.  I live in Canada, and have a mini zoo in my home.  As a child I always wanted to 'save' every animal I found, and now that Im the grown up I get too... and major bonus is my husband supports it :)

What brought me here?

I had my first born, and from the moment he was born both of us were going through medical issues. I knew the second he was placed on my chest that there was something wrong.  But it was chalked up to be being a young parent and hormonal. At the age of 5 months my son had already been in the hospital 3 times, and we found out that he was anaphylactic to dairy (I supplemented with formula). This is were my journey with learning everything there was to know about food began. My son has major food allergies, but as he has gotten older he has been reintroduced to many foods that he can now have.  At his worse, he had to be a vegan who was also allergic to a handful of fruits a couple of veggies and nuts.  It was a crazy time, and felt like the biggest elimination diet ever (this lasted for 18 mths) He is able to eat almost everything now, except he is anaphylactic to dairy (all derivatives), peanuts and tree nuts, and all types of seafood.  He's 9 yrs old now

Now about me, since I had my first born I started feeling ill all the time. I had to run to the bathroom, what felt like every time I ate. I started suffering from horrible migraines, and restless nights. I felt tired all the time.  I had gone to the doctor many times about my issues, brought it up at every physical.  I had gone for blood work, and everything came back normal.  After 4 yrs of my complaining they set me up an appt for a colonoscopy.  I couldnt make that appt due to the fact I found out I was pregnant with my second child.  I prayed that my issues would correct themselves with this pregnancy.  They did not.  They got worse.  I had to start seeing a neurologist for my migraines, as I was getting them in clusters.  My stomach issues got worse, so I was set for a full panel of allergy tests.  Everything came normal except a few things. I was in horrible pain all the time, and never had energy to do anything. I started having joint issue's, and got sent for xrays to see if I had arthritis. I also got sent to a dermatologist because I starting suffering from psoriasis. My goodness, I felt broken.  Then in the beginning of this year I had had enough!  I chose to do a total elimination diet for myself.  I started feeling better after a few months, my skin started clearing up and my migraines even got better.  After a doctors appt I had in May, I told her what I had been doing.  She sent me for more blood work (first time that she had check for gluten screen).  I got a call the next week from a GI doctor asking me to come in.  I met with him at the end of May, and give my medical history he was very surprised that I hadn't been referred to him years ago.  He told me to go back to eating what I was when I was ill, and that I'd have an endoscopy done. 

Boy oh boy, I did not realize what I was getting myself into.  My endoscopy was booked for Aug 29, so needless to say I had the worse summer ever.  I was so sick, all the time.  I had to go for more blood work 2 weeks before the test and it came back with low B12.  I had the biopsy done and he suggested right after the procedure I go on a gluten free diet asap. I was told that I would get a call once the test results came back.  (during the summer months I started really looking into things, and that is how I found this site)

I had my appt with the GI doctor two weeks ago and got the diagnose of celiac disease.  He said that he was pretty shocked to see the amount of bluntness to the villi considering I was gluten free for some time before we had even met.  So, I am gluten free 100%.  Ive changed hair and makeup products and have already started seeing a change in my skin. 

It's been a long road, and I'm sure it'll still be a bit longer as I'm gonna need time to heal.  Both my children have been requested to go for blood work to check them, and their B12 levels by their paediatrician. I'll be bringing them next week.  The doctor is a tad worried about my daughter, she's almost 4, as since she was 7 mths old she has had constipation issue's, and has already gone for a barium enema. My son has been screened before, but the doctor would like to do it again. Do to his medical history, and he is also anaemic.

So... ya... that was my "short" post on introducing myself.

Thank for reading!!

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board!  Sounds like quite a road you have traveled.  This has been a real helpful place for me and wrote my thank you earlier this month, actually.  Way to take control of your health!

I am thankful for your definitive results.  I hope the same for your children

You have an incredible story and I hope one day you will produce a happy ending for it.

Welcome,  I'm so glad you decided to share your story.  Like so many of us here, it has been a long hard road.  Now you, and  soon your family, can start some real healing and feel some control about your health.  I'm so happy for you :D