15 replies to this topic

#1 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

They have always been my favorite and my spice drawer is almost exclusively from their selection. But as I am continuing to make the clean sweep through my kitchen to get rid of anything possibly gluten-tainted, I am wondering if spices are of concern (gawd, I hope not!)

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I love Penzy's spices. Pure spices should not be a concern.  Unless you used the flour spoon in the cinnamon.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Abby, I use them!  I get my in-laws to pick them up for me when they go to the U.S.  None that I have contain gluten - in fact, I do not think any do (but I have not called them myself for over a year).  My spice cupboard contains 85+ spices I roast and grind.  I am a spice fanatic!  :D   Sometimes I open the pantry and sigh deeply... ;)

This reminds me - I owe you some recipes! 

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

My bff chef pal uses Penzey's and I have eaten in her home many, many times...no problem.

When my McCormick spices start to dwindle, I am going to try some Penzey's.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Abby, I use them!  I get my in-laws to pick them up for me when they go to the U.S.  None that I have contain gluten - in fact, I do not think any do (but I have not called them myself for over a year).  My spice cupboard contains 85+ spices I roast and grind.  I am a spice fanatic!  :D   Sometimes I open the pantry and sigh deeply... ;)

This reminds me - I owe you some recipes! 

before I forget, can you pipe in over here.....? merci, sweet girl.

http://www.celiac.co...-needed-please/

I am pretty sure she means you, not me. ;)

I'm sure if our resident expert meanders along she'll be able to explain that there is an important difference 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Oh this is good to hear. Thank you all! I am also a spice fanatic and the thought of havin got start over with all new spices is horrifying. Plus, Penzey's really are my favorite - always so fresh and bright tasting, never "dusty". I am fortunate that they have two retail locations in my city, but I used to order from them before they opened up here. Tomorrow I will be visiting them again to re-up a few things!

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Oh this is good to hear. Thank you all! I am also a spice fanatic and the thought of havin got start over with all new spices is horrifying. Plus, Penzey's really are my favorite - always so fresh and bright tasting, never "dusty". I am fortunate that they have two retail locations in my city, but I used to order from them before they opened up here. Tomorrow I will be visiting them again to re-up a few things!

Two retail stores???? How can you stand it? I would be there so often I would get kicked out!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Two retail stores???? How can you stand it? I would be there so often I would get kicked out!

did you go where I asked yet? focus, girl, focus LMAO

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

did you go where I asked yet? focus, girl, focus LMAO

But I *am* focused very intently.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

But I *am* focused very intently.

they need you here  :D

http://www.celiac.co...-needed-please/

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's pretty awesome. And dangerous... :D

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Love Heals.

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Our Penzys is next to an olive oil store and a Ten Thousand Villages. You can't get off that block for less than $100.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

now we're talkin!

I confess....I found a Sur la table and a Whole foods down here last week, plus a G F cafe...

omg...it was a $265 day. eek!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Our Penzys is next to an olive oil store and a Ten Thousand Villages. You can't get off that block for less than $100.

Stop it! All we have in this town is piles and piles of snow. No food stores or book stores. And I've read every decent book in our wee library about 12 times each.

#15 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Also, if you sign up for Penzy's mailing list, they'll send you a catalog each month with a coupon for a free spice that can be redeemed at the store.  No other purchase necessary.  My coworker does it.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: