Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anybody Use Penzey's Spices?

16 posts in this topic

They have always been my favorite and my spice drawer is almost exclusively from their selection. But as I am continuing to make the clean sweep through my kitchen to get rid of anything possibly gluten-tainted, I am wondering if spices are of concern (gawd, I hope not!)

Ads by Google:

I love Penzy's spices. Pure spices should not be a concern.  Unless you used the flour spoon in the cinnamon.

Abby, I use them!  I get my in-laws to pick them up for me when they go to the U.S.  None that I have contain gluten - in fact, I do not think any do (but I have not called them myself for over a year).  My spice cupboard contains 85+ spices I roast and grind.  I am a spice fanatic!  :D   Sometimes I open the pantry and sigh deeply... ;)

This reminds me - I owe you some recipes! 

My bff chef pal uses Penzey's and I have eaten in her home many, many times...no problem.

When my McCormick spices start to dwindle, I am going to try some Penzey's.

Abby, I use them!  I get my in-laws to pick them up for me when they go to the U.S.  None that I have contain gluten - in fact, I do not think any do (but I have not called them myself for over a year).  My spice cupboard contains 85+ spices I roast and grind.  I am a spice fanatic!  :D   Sometimes I open the pantry and sigh deeply... ;)

This reminds me - I owe you some recipes! 

before I forget, can you pipe in over here.....? merci, sweet girl.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/104920-recipes-needed-please/

I am pretty sure she means you, not me. ;)

I'm sure if our resident expert meanders along she'll be able to explain that there is an important difference 

Oh this is good to hear. Thank you all! I am also a spice fanatic and the thought of havin got start over with all new spices is horrifying. Plus, Penzey's really are my favorite - always so fresh and bright tasting, never "dusty". I am fortunate that they have two retail locations in my city, but I used to order from them before they opened up here. Tomorrow I will be visiting them again to re-up a few things!

Oh this is good to hear. Thank you all! I am also a spice fanatic and the thought of havin got start over with all new spices is horrifying. Plus, Penzey's really are my favorite - always so fresh and bright tasting, never "dusty". I am fortunate that they have two retail locations in my city, but I used to order from them before they opened up here. Tomorrow I will be visiting them again to re-up a few things!

Two retail stores???? How can you stand it? I would be there so often I would get kicked out!

Two retail stores???? How can you stand it? I would be there so often I would get kicked out!

did you go where I asked yet? focus, girl, focus LMAO

did you go where I asked yet? focus, girl, focus LMAO

But I *am* focused very intently.

It's pretty awesome. And dangerous... :D

Our Penzys is next to an olive oil store and a Ten Thousand Villages. You can't get off that block for less than $100.

now we're talkin!

I confess....I found a Sur la table and a Whole foods down here last week, plus a G F cafe...

omg...it was a $265 day. eek!

Our Penzys is next to an olive oil store and a Ten Thousand Villages. You can't get off that block for less than $100.

Stop it! All we have in this town is piles and piles of snow. No food stores or book stores. And I've read every decent book in our wee library about 12 times each.

Also, if you sign up for Penzy's mailing list, they'll send you a catalog each month with a coupon for a free spice that can be redeemed at the store.  No other purchase necessary.  My coworker does it.

I know--old thread but I use Penzey's and I emailed the to confirm they were gluten-free because my cupboard is full of their spices and mixes.  This was their response "You may be happy to know that spices are naturally gluten-free, and we do not use any wheat, rye, oats, or barley in any of our products. Ingredients are clearly listed on our seasonings as well. We are in the process of testing all of our spices for gluten, but until everything is tested we cannot claim to be gluten free."  I was mostly concerned about their mixes since I use a lot of them.  We used to live 2 miles from a retail store and it was like a second home to me :D.  Now, I have to mail order....