This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Got Back From My Endoscopy

bellybattle

bellybattle Apprentice

I just got back from my endoscopy and I am surprisingly alert! I thought that I was going to be dead tired the rest of the day. The procedure wasn't too bad, I don't really remember too much. I feel silly for worrying so much about it! :rolleyes:

The doctor said that there wasn't any noticable damage so basically I just have to wait for the biopsy results. I was wondering though, if I were to have celiac disease, wouldn't the doctor be able to see some damage with the scope? Or, is it the biopsy that will show the most damage? I thought that he would be able to see villi damage with the scope. Any thoughts? Thanks!

BB

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I also was alert after the procedure and I had both an endoscopy & colonoscopy. Actually, my husband and I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home! (I was supposed to go home and rest, but went anyway) They have to look at the samples under a microscope to see if there was any villi damage. The Dr. can see inflammation during the procedure if present. I knew before I left the surgery center that he had found gastrisis, but the biopsy took a week or so. Glad you came through with no problems!

skbird Contributor

I was pretty alert, too, but not very hungry as I had a blood sugar problem during the whole thing. That did make me tired in the end. They didn't see anything, except a polyp, and then when the biopsy came back everything was fine. I was really surprised they didn't notice any inflammation at all because I had a pretty upset system at the time. Goes to show it doesn't always show what you feel, I guess.

Stephanie

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I wasn't alert at all. The nurse pushed me out to the car (was in a wheelchair). Apparently I was chatting with her the whole time but I have no recollection of what was said...I also barely remembered how I even got to the car. :huh:

bellybattle Apprentice

Thanks guys! I'm a little anxious to get the results back. My bloodwork came back only slightly positive as opposed to really high as many of you have mentioned. I was a little surprised after the biopsy. I remember feeling like I was gagging a little at the beginning, and I think I remember a poking feeling in my stomach, but that was it. I wasn't expecting my throat to hurt so much though. I was expecting my throat to be a little sore, but not like this. I actually had to stay in the recovery room a little longer because I lost my voice ! :o I have it back now - I still have that froggy feeling and a little bit of a cough. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I hope there wasn't any damage done...

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks guys! I'm a little anxious to get the results back. My bloodwork came back only slightly positive as opposed to really high as many of you have mentioned. I was a little surprised after the biopsy. I remember feeling like I was gagging a little at the beginning, and I think I remember a poking feeling in my stomach, but that was it. I wasn't expecting my throat to hurt so much though. I was expecting my throat to be a little sore, but not like this. I actually had to stay in the recovery room a little longer because I lost my voice ! :o  I have it back now - I still have that froggy feeling and a little bit of a cough. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I hope there wasn't any damage done...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah thats fine.. sounds liek they just did not put you under quite as far as some of us have went.. took me 1/2 a day to just wake up enough to get in thte truck for my wife to get me home! LOL

NYCisTHEplaceTObe Rookie

i was actually really alert too. I remember everything that the doc told me before I left. I actually remember being really upset because I was having a really good dream that they woke me up from! Then I was fine the rest of the day, I just layed around and was lazy, which felt really good since I am usually such a high strung stressed out person!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I was wondering though, if I were to have celiac disease, wouldn't the doctor be able to see some damage with the scope? Or, is it the biopsy that will show the most damage? I thought that he would be able to see villi damage with the scope. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Not necessarily, the villi are very tiny and the procedure is so quick that they don't really have much time to look. My GI doctor said that he could see that there were problems with my intestine after the scope, but he couldn't confirm anything until after the biopsy results.
jenvan Collaborator

it is hard to tell with the naked eye...and there is quite a range of damage that can be found--villi that are merely blunted (the tips are gone) to no villi in areas...

jmarie Newbie

I just had a 2nd endoscopy (6 month follow-up). Last time, my dr said that my intestines had atophied & were just really dysfunctional. This time, he just said "Your celiac's is unresolved by your diet". At which point, of course, I burst into tears. They all looked confused that I would be so upset, but I feel like I put forth a lot of effort for naught.

Anyway, the procedure was not that bad - I was totally asleep for the 2nd one. The colonoscopy, on the other hand, was horrible b/c I had to fast for so long and drink that vile liquid laxative. And that test showed nothing.

Argh.

darkangel Rookie
I just had a 2nd endoscopy (6 month follow-up).  Last time, my dr said that my intestines had atophied & were just really dysfunctional.  This time, he just said "Your celiac's is unresolved by your diet".  At which point, of course, I burst into tears.  They all looked confused that I would be so upset, but I feel like I put forth a lot of effort for naught.

Anyway, the procedure was not that bad - I was totally asleep for the 2nd one.  The colonoscopy, on the other hand, was horrible b/c I had to fast for so long and drink that vile liquid laxative.  And that test showed nothing. 

Argh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doctors can be so insensitive. When I asked about dietary recommendations or lifestyle changes, my first GI told me, "You have ulcerative colitis. You'll never be well. You'll be on medication the rest of your life and may eventually have to have your colon removed to be 'cured.' Get over it." Then she wondered why I burst into tears.

I'm feelin' ya on the colonoscopy. The first one I had was a nightmare. I was so inflamed and reactive, they couldn't get all the way around. They gave me maximum drugs. Afterwards, they asked me if I could remember any of it and I said, "I remember hearing someone screaming." Um... yeah... that would be me. Yet, my Mom says they gave me all kinds of post-procedure instrux and I sat and chatted with the doctor, but couldn't remember any of that when I got home.

Thank God the next time they tried it a year or two later, they used a child-sized scope and managed to knock me out completely.

jknnej Collaborator

Both my colonoscopy and endocscopy they had to give me double the meds to put me out. I guess i won't go easily! LOL

because of the double dosage I was OUT for the entire day and night. My hubby had to bring me out in a wheelchair and take me home and put me to bed.

Endo was So easy, prep for colonoscopy sucked. I was starving and dehydrated, plus nauseated from drinking all that soda with the laxatives. Ick.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor
I just had a 2nd endoscopy (6 month follow-up).  Last time, my dr said that my intestines had atophied & were just really dysfunctional.  This time, he just said "Your celiac's is unresolved by your diet".  At which point, of course, I burst into tears.  They all looked confused that I would be so upset, but I feel like I put forth a lot of effort for naught.

Anyway, the procedure was not that bad - I was totally asleep for the 2nd one.  The colonoscopy, on the other hand, was horrible b/c I had to fast for so long and drink that vile liquid laxative.  And that test showed nothing. 

Argh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sorry to hear that your gut is not healed yet...and that your doc delivered the news in a poor manner -

Have you begun to look into ALL possible sources of gluten contamination?

Did you doc mention that it can take longer than 6 months to heal?

Also...I have seen threads on here that discuss other possible causes of villi damage...did your doc talk to you about them?

Gina

PS - I, too, had a colonoscopy, and got sick from the prep, then had to be up all night drinking more prep...glad it's over...for 10 years, at least! :-)

Archived