Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Something To Consider At Indian Restaurants

8 posts in this topic

Asafoetida (hing) is a spice that's often used often in Indian cuisine and it usually has gluten in it.

Some restaurant managers don't even know that and unintentionally will serve you gluten so be sure to ask them whether they use it or not.

Ads by Google:

Asafoetida (hing) is a spice that's often used often in Indian cuisine and it usually has gluten in it.

Some restaurant managers don't even know that and unintentionally will serve you gluten so be sure to ask them whether they use it or not.

Really? Mine is gluten free. Whole spices should be safe but I suppose if they use blends they may not be.

Just googled several sources and see where this may be true. I also read many articles said many brands are gluten free. Thanks for the info! It is good to know. I make my own Indian food but this is useful info for those who eat out.

Edited by love2travel

Real Asafoetida is a dried latex from a root of a number of plants not at all related to wheat. Having cooked in India at the Taj in Bangalore and cooking INdian at home in Hawaii, I have never seen nor can imagine Asafoetida having gluten. It might just mean finding the real spice and not a powdered imitation or blend. I get my from MVspices.com

KEn

Really? Mine is gluten free. Whole spices should be safe but I suppose if they use blends they may not be.

Just googled several sources and see where this may be true. I also read many articles said many brands are gluten free. Thanks for the info! It is good to know. I make my own Indian food but this is useful info for those who eat out.

Real Asafoetida is a dried latex from a root of a number of plants not at all related to wheat. Having cooked in India at the Taj in Bangalore and cooking INdian at home in Hawaii, I have never seen nor can imagine Asafoetida having gluten. It might just mean finding the real spice and not a powdered imitation or blend. I get my from MVspices.com

KEn

It's news to me that you can buy it without wheat flour added! - here in the UK that's how it comes. Powdered and mixed with wheat flour. I've heard rumours of an Asafoetida powder that has rice flour instead, but can't find it and never knew that you could buy it in it's pure form...hmmm, I had a look at the site you mention - interesting! I shall now hunt for some resin - thanks.

unless they changed, I always got the small pieces of dried latex. a little  goes a long  way so I've not order that in a couple of  years.  Get a lot of other pickling spices from them too.

It's news to me that you can buy it without wheat flour added! - here in the UK that's how it comes. Powdered and mixed with wheat flour. I've heard rumours of an Asafoetida powder that has rice flour instead, but can't find it and never knew that you could buy it in it's pure form...hmmm, I had a look at the site you mention - interesting! I shall now hunt for some resin - thanks.

How do you pronounce it?  I've never had a problem from Indian food, but who knows.

The curry guru has told me over and over that all there curries are gluten free and some are dairy free also

there curries seams to be ok, at least i don't think I've had any problems except a little hot some times....

It's true - Asafoetida (hing), a common spice in Indian cooking, nearly always contains wheat flour.

http://celiact.com/blog/gluten-free-spices/

I would add this is the reason why we have the forums. It's easy enough to say, "it should be safe," but you shouldn't make statements (like some of the above comments) without checking facts first.