6 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreemadeleine

glutenfreemadeleine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Asafoetida (hing) is a spice that's often used often in Indian cuisine and it usually has gluten in it.

Some restaurant managers don't even know that and unintentionally will serve you gluten so be sure to ask them whether they use it or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Asafoetida (hing) is a spice that's often used often in Indian cuisine and it usually has gluten in it.

Some restaurant managers don't even know that and unintentionally will serve you gluten so be sure to ask them whether they use it or not.

Really? Mine is gluten free. Whole spices should be safe but I suppose if they use blends they may not be.

Just googled several sources and see where this may be true. I also read many articles said many brands are gluten free. Thanks for the info! It is good to know. I make my own Indian food but this is useful info for those who eat out.

Edited by love2travel, 05 November 2013 - 06:40 PM.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Real Asafoetida is a dried latex from a root of a number of plants not at all related to wheat. Having cooked in India at the Taj in Bangalore and cooking INdian at home in Hawaii, I have never seen nor can imagine Asafoetida having gluten. It might just mean finding the real spice and not a powdered imitation or blend. I get my from MVspices.com

KEn

Really? Mine is gluten free. Whole spices should be safe but I suppose if they use blends they may not be.

Just googled several sources and see where this may be true. I also read many articles said many brands are gluten free. Thanks for the info! It is good to know. I make my own Indian food but this is useful info for those who eat out.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Real Asafoetida is a dried latex from a root of a number of plants not at all related to wheat. Having cooked in India at the Taj in Bangalore and cooking INdian at home in Hawaii, I have never seen nor can imagine Asafoetida having gluten. It might just mean finding the real spice and not a powdered imitation or blend. I get my from MVspices.com

KEn

It's news to me that you can buy it without wheat flour added! - here in the UK that's how it comes. Powdered and mixed with wheat flour. I've heard rumours of an Asafoetida powder that has rice flour instead, but can't find it and never knew that you could buy it in it's pure form...hmmm, I had a look at the site you mention - interesting! I shall now hunt for some resin - thanks.

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#5 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

unless they changed, I always got the small pieces of dried latex. a little  goes a long  way so I've not order that in a couple of  years.  Get a lot of other pickling spices from them too.

It's news to me that you can buy it without wheat flour added! - here in the UK that's how it comes. Powdered and mixed with wheat flour. I've heard rumours of an Asafoetida powder that has rice flour instead, but can't find it and never knew that you could buy it in it's pure form...hmmm, I had a look at the site you mention - interesting! I shall now hunt for some resin - thanks.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

How do you pronounce it?  I've never had a problem from Indian food, but who knows.

#7 peter/southland

peter/southland

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

The curry guru has told me over and over that all there curries are gluten free and some are dairy free also

there curries seams to be ok, at least i don't think I've had any problems except a little hot some times....

It's all good
Peter/southland/New zealand

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: