Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What's Your Favorite gluten-free Chocolate? (Soy Free, If Possible)

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

I have been eyeing the Enjoy Life brand chips. I like that it does not have any soy (in the form of soy lecithin) because I am currently low-iodine and that eliminates soy. (Though I wonder if soy lecithin really a problem, but better safe than sorry, I guess)

What other brands of good gluten-free chocolate are there? Bars, chips, baking, cocoa etc.

Thanks!

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'm not brand picky. That said, I buy almost exclusively what most people (including my husband) would consider rather expensive chocolate. I like dark chocolate, not milk and find that more often than not it what I pick up to check ingredients on doesn't have soy in it. You may find that if you stop shopping chocolates advertised as allergy freindly and what those of us who are chocolate snobs consider crap (Hershey, Nestle, etc...) you'll be pleasantly surprised by your options.

I am particular to Amano chocolates. They aren't as pricey as some of the others I enjoy and they're from a company in the city I live in.

This page has some good information about a few companies although it is by no means exhaustive as there are far more companies that I could go buy chocolate from just at the store 5 minutes from here than they list. They do list Amano. http://ultimatechoco...cithin-are.html

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

I am completely sold on Ghiradelli Chocolate.  

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

I am completely sold on Ghiradelli Chocolate.  

Colleen

They make a decent chocolate bar. The bag of squares is good for portion control. I was rather convinced that they have soy in them though?

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thank you both! I've never heard of Amano - I'll check it out.

Hershey's seems to be quite good with their gluten free knowledge and offerings, but on another site it says that they have a risk of cross-contamination on anything besides their milk chocolate bars (It could be wrong, of course...) http://www.thehershe...px#/Gluten-Free

Ghiradelli also seems to have a risk of cc (shared equipment): http://www.ghirardel...ce-20121001.pdf

Seriously, there are worse things than researching chocolate... :)

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Addy, forgot all the soy issues.  Here I am trying to poison Abbs...Sorry Abbs.  I still love Ghiradelli anyways. :D

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Ghiradelli is enjoyed by many here. While I do have a soy problem, it's a weird one and oddly enough I seem to do okay with lecithin and do enjoy Ghiradelli when I'm slumming it. I'm not even a little kidding about the chocolate snob thing. I can't imagine any circumstance under which I would willingly eat Hershey chocolate.

I can't recommend Amano enough. And once you get into that price range on chocolate you'll find it's less and less likely to see soy in your chocolate bars. I eat exclusively dark chocolate, I don't even know when the last time is that I even looked at a milk chocolate bar so I'm not sure if the same holds true for milk chocolate.

On top of that, if you buy a Hershey bar, a Ghiradelli bar and an Amano bar I guarantee that blindfolded you will know the difference in taste. Even if you had never tasted any of them before. You would be able to pinpoint which is which, or at least you would be able to line them up in price order in a heartbeat. There is a reason I generally stick to the $7-12 price range on chocolate bars, and it's because the quality is just not found in anything cheaper.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

You really need to try Booja Booja chocolate truffles - dairy free, soy free and gluten free. I thought I'd never find chocolate that didn't make me ill.....I found these the week before my birthday (last week)......after 2 boxes, I can verify that even the snobbiest of chocolate snobs will love these - I do! :)

Correction - "did" love these....need...some....more, lol.

P.S. watch out - online there seem to be some old stock that does have soy, they are the same looking boxes, but clearly labelled.

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Somebody recommended Taza chocolate a while back.  Not sure if it is good, I haven't actually tried it yet.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Somebody recommended Taza chocolate a while back.  Not sure if it is good, I haven't actually tried it yet.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/

Can not recommend. I had heard them recommended and went out of my usual price range for them. The discs are good for a Mexican hot chocolate but outside that they taste kinda funky and have really bad texture.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hersheys unsweetened cocoa .

ingredients list: cocoa.

I use this in baking or if I need a chocolate "fix" I use it to make hot cocoa.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

Can not recommend. I had heard them recommended and went out of my usual price range for them. The discs are good for a Mexican hot chocolate but outside that they taste kinda funky and have really bad texture.

Thanks for the heads up Addy! :)

Hersheys unsweetened cocoa .

ingredients list: cocoa.

I use this in baking or if I need a chocolate "fix" I use it to make hot cocoa.

I use Chatfields carob powder for things like that.  Not exact same as choc flavor but close enough for some people.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

http://wellnessmama....ocolate-recipe/

I have not tried this yet but it looks yummy :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: