Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Seborrheic Dermatitis

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! So I have had scalp/skin seborrhea for the past 3 years. My dermatologist has prescribed me numerous ointments and medications, all of which i stopped applying after I googled the ingredients. About 7 months ago I was speaking to a family friend who is currently in med school, he advised me to try cutting out gluten as dermatitis was an inflammatory disease which can be triggered by the protein in gluten. I immediately stopped eating gluten and within weeks all signs of my SD were gone. Even if I cheated a little bit, I would immediately get red and itchy. I don't completely understand the correlation between gluten and seborrhea but I have read that gluten causes autoimmune reactions in the body. Psoriasis runs in my family as well as asthma, arthritis, reflux and IBS. I have had acid reflux since I was born as well. I am thinking about being tested for Celiac's but I have had an endoscopy before and all they diagnosed me with was reflux. If anyone has any thoughts on this or has experienced the same thing please share. i do not completely understand the idea of gluten intolerance quite yet! Thanks :) 

Ads by Google:

The University of Chicago's Celiac website is a great place to start!  Here's a link regarding the actual blood tests that your doctor can order.  You must be eating gluten though (for a couple of months) in order to get a valid result.

If positive, you may need an endoscopy where the doctor should take up to six or seven tissue samples (biopsy).  It sounds like your doctor just did a visual on your last endoscopy.  

Welcome to the forum and search the forum for topics that might apply to you (e.g. your SD)!  There's a wealth of information about celiac disease and gluten intolerance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• They didn't. The labs were run two and a half weeks ago and before I got confirmation on here that it should be done despite my drs saying otherwise. I was glutened the week prior anyway so it would've been high regardless.  It's all very frustrating. So I guess I'll wait five or six months and go back and demand it vs asking about it. 
    • Did they run a DGP IGA?  While your DGP can take over a year to come down, I still think you should be getting tested every six months until you see a downward trend.  I am not making that up.  Google it.   My DGP was off the charts when I was glutened last summer.  My symtoms were severe, yet at diagnosis, I just had anemia.  It took six months for all symptoms to completely resolve (rashes and hives took the longest and three month to regain dairy).  What I am saying is that symptoms for celiac disease can change.    
    • Long pause because I wanted my latest lab results and they took forever.  Cortisol, ACTH, estadiol, vitamin a and whatever else were all fine. They are retesting my thyroid in four weeks. I definitely bought the wrong product and glutened myself a few weeks back so I guess that has to wait which really irritates me. My gliadin iga ab was greater than 100 almost two yrs ago at diagnosis so I guess sometime next yr I'll redo that and hope it's down :-/. Trying to do all the right things and get bad information from doctors.  Thanks for all the info you've shared and helped me with. I've had lab work every month since May and will next month for the thyroid again. Sigh. 
    • Hi Carle, Congrats on your symptoms going away.  I did seem to have reactions to rice for a while after going gluten-free.  But after some years on the gluten-free diet I can eat it again.  So reactions can change over time. I was searching for an article on gluten in common store products, but didn't find it.  There was a group that did testing on some common grocery products like beans, rice, corn etc that we would normally consider to be gluten-free naturally.  But they found some level of gluten in some of them.  So it's not impossible to pick up something off the shelf that ought to be naturally gluten-free and find it is contaminated.  That may have happened with the rice you ate.  A quick rinse of water before using the rice might help.
    • Hi Doit, The reference ranges to the right of the test result show the values the result ought to be in for normal readings (no celiac disease).  Your results appear to show no higher than normal results that I can see. However, you aren't following the recommended process for celiac disease blood testing.  The blood test is supposed to preceded by 12 weeks of daily gluten eating.  That is generally enough time to cause a sufficient quantity of antibodies to build up in the blood stream to be detectable by the tests. Not having antibodies in the blood stream doesn't mean you aren't being damaged.  People with DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) sometimes test negative on the standard blood tests.  My theory is possibly because the antibodies are concentrated in the skin instead of the blood.  In gut damage, it is possible the antibodies are concentrated in the gut, instead of the blood.  After some time they show up in the blood also.  The thinking is the antibodies go where the work is.  Anyway, theories aside, it takes very little gluten to kick off an immune response.  Those antibodies are not aimless soldiers.  They start doing their work and destroying gluten and gut tissue even if you don't feel symptoms.  Did you know there are some people who have no GI symptoms of celiac disease but still have it?  They call that silent celiac.  So going by symptoms is not a good way to judge actual damage in the gut. You are wise to go in for followup testing, but the followup testing is hopefully to show compliance with the gluten-free diet, and lower antibody test results.  Have your close family members been tested for celiac disease?  It sounds like they should be.   There is a 5% higher chance of them having celiac than the general population. Welcome to the forum!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member