1 reply to this topic

#1 itstaylorrose

itstaylorrose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi everyone! So I have had scalp/skin seborrhea for the past 3 years. My dermatologist has prescribed me numerous ointments and medications, all of which i stopped applying after I googled the ingredients. About 7 months ago I was speaking to a family friend who is currently in med school, he advised me to try cutting out gluten as dermatitis was an inflammatory disease which can be triggered by the protein in gluten. I immediately stopped eating gluten and within weeks all signs of my SD were gone. Even if I cheated a little bit, I would immediately get red and itchy. I don't completely understand the correlation between gluten and seborrhea but I have read that gluten causes autoimmune reactions in the body. Psoriasis runs in my family as well as asthma, arthritis, reflux and IBS. I have had acid reflux since I was born as well. I am thinking about being tested for Celiac's but I have had an endoscopy before and all they diagnosed me with was reflux. If anyone has any thoughts on this or has experienced the same thing please share. i do not completely understand the idea of gluten intolerance quite yet! Thanks :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

The University of Chicago's Celiac website is a great place to start!  Here's a link regarding the actual blood tests that your doctor can order.  You must be eating gluten though (for a couple of months) in order to get a valid result.  

http://www.curecelia...s3_Antibody.pdf

If positive, you may need an endoscopy where the doctor should take up to six or seven tissue samples (biopsy).  It sounds like your doctor just did a visual on your last endoscopy.  

Welcome to the forum and search the forum for topics that might apply to you (e.g. your SD)!  There's a wealth of information about celiac disease and gluten intolerance.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: