9 replies to this topic

#1 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Ah! This is my first gluten free Thanksgiving, and one of my favorite dishes is the green bean casserole. Unfortunately, 2 of the main ingredients are not gluten free. 

Besides the green beans, we use the French's Fried onions, and Campbells cream of cheddar soup (or cream of chicken, etc etc)

Any suggestions for what to substitute these with? I've never made it myself, but the recipe is fairly simple with only three ingredients - I think I can handle it as long as I know what to use.

Thanks in advance!

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe pollen/grass/tree allergies, sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome, possible histamine intolerance

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14

"I am in control of my own health"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gluten Free Yourself

Gluten Free Yourself

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Ah! This is my first gluten free Thanksgiving, and one of my favorite dishes is the green bean casserole. Unfortunately, 2 of the main ingredients are not gluten free. 

Besides the green beans, we use the French's Fried onions, and Campbells cream of cheddar soup (or cream of chicken, etc etc)

Any suggestions for what to substitute these with? I've never made it myself, but the recipe is fairly simple with only three ingredients - I think I can handle it as long as I know what to use.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just came across this recipe for a gluten free Green Bean Casserole, hopefully this will help.  I haven't tried it yet but I will be testing it out very soon.  Have a great Gluten Free Holiday! 

http://www.oregonliv..._gluten-fr.html

#3 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

I know some people use Funyons for the onions and this gluten-free cream of mushroom soup

http://www.pacificfo...ensed-soup.aspx

We aren't a big fan of the traditional GB Casserole.  We like the one I posted here:

http://www.celiac.co...-needed-please/

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Wow! Both recipes look great. I'm not sure how it's going to go...my family might not be willing to eat the gluten free recipe and in that case, I will have to make two separate dishes.

Funyons are an interesting idea. Would gluten free onion rings work, assuming I can find them? There is a restaurant near my house, (99% gluten free, it's great!) worst case scenario I could order a batch to go, maybe? They are the stringy, long kind of onion rings so I think that would be a good topper. As for the cream of mushroom soup, for me that would be great...I like mushroom - but my parents, boyfriend and sister do not. Do you know of a gluten free cheese substitute? If I could make a gluten free version as close to the real version as possible it would be ideal. Is there an easy way to melt down gluten free cheddar cheese, for example?

I'm also not a very experienced cook, I've made simple things like English muffin pizzas, scrambled eggs, cakes, stuff like that. I feel like if I tried to get too creative it will taste awful ;P

Thanks for your responses!

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Allergies: Severe pollen/grass/tree allergies, sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome, possible histamine intolerance

#5 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0062JVUHA

#6 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Wow! Both recipes look great. I'm not sure how it's going to go...my family might not be willing to eat the gluten free recipe and in that case, I will have to make two separate dishes.

Funyons are an interesting idea. Would gluten free onion rings work, assuming I can find them? There is a restaurant near my house, (99% gluten free, it's great!) worst case scenario I could order a batch to go, maybe? They are the stringy, long kind of onion rings so I think that would be a good topper. As for the cream of mushroom soup, for me that would be great...I like mushroom - but my parents, boyfriend and sister do not. Do you know of a gluten free cheese substitute? If I could make a gluten free version as close to the real version as possible it would be ideal. Is there an easy way to melt down gluten free cheddar cheese, for example?

I'm also not a very experienced cook, I've made simple things like English muffin pizzas, scrambled eggs, cakes, stuff like that. I feel like if I tried to get too creative it will taste awful ;P

Thanks for your responses!

What do you usually make green bean casserole with?  Usually its cream of mushroom soup and does not contain cheese.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

LTES

#7 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

My mom usually would use either cream of cheddar, or cream of chicken because she, my dad and sister don't like mushrooms. (My boyfriend doesn't either, but I think he would try it just to be supportive) My family won't want to eat it if I use a mushroom soup, so I was hoping to find a gluten free cheddar soup substitute that would work similarly. It would be ideal if I could just make one pan of it that everyone will be willing to try. 

#8 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

My mom usually would use either cream of cheddar, or cream of chicken because she, my dad and sister don't like mushrooms. (My boyfriend doesn't either, but I think he would try it just to be supportive) My family won't want to eat it if I use a mushroom soup, so I was hoping to find a gluten free cheddar soup substitute that would work similarly. It would be ideal if I could just make one pan of it that everyone will be willing to try. 

Pacific has gluten-free cream of chicken.  Maybe you could add some cheese?

LTES

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I thought this looked like a nice traditional recipe. You can of course use any soup you like.

http://www.glutenist...ep-by-step.html

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 Fourmonkeysjumping

Fourmonkeysjumping

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

I don't recommend the funyons. We tried it once and they got horribly soggy. I'll grant you, it was years ago (we've been gluten-free nine years) and I don't think there was a readily available cream of mushroom soup, so I'm sure we made our own and it may have been too thin. I honestly don't remember, I just remember being so disappointed in how soggy and gross the funyons got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: