This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Greenbean Casserole?

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Ah! This is my first gluten free Thanksgiving, and one of my favorite dishes is the green bean casserole. Unfortunately, 2 of the main ingredients are not gluten free. 

Besides the green beans, we use the French's Fried onions, and Campbells cream of cheddar soup (or cream of chicken, etc etc)

Any suggestions for what to substitute these with? I've never made it myself, but the recipe is fairly simple with only three ingredients - I think I can handle it as long as I know what to use.

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gluten Free Yourself Newbie

Ah! This is my first gluten free Thanksgiving, and one of my favorite dishes is the green bean casserole. Unfortunately, 2 of the main ingredients are not gluten free. 

Besides the green beans, we use the French's Fried onions, and Campbells cream of cheddar soup (or cream of chicken, etc etc)

Any suggestions for what to substitute these with? I've never made it myself, but the recipe is fairly simple with only three ingredients - I think I can handle it as long as I know what to use.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just came across this recipe for a gluten free Green Bean Casserole, hopefully this will help.  I haven't tried it yet but I will be testing it out very soon.  Have a great Gluten Free Holiday! 

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

I know some people use Funyons for the onions and this gluten-free cream of mushroom soup

We aren't a big fan of the traditional GB Casserole.  We like the one I posted here:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/104920-recipes-needed-please/

Wow! Both recipes look great. I'm not sure how it's going to go...my family might not be willing to eat the gluten free recipe and in that case, I will have to make two separate dishes.

Funyons are an interesting idea. Would gluten free onion rings work, assuming I can find them? There is a restaurant near my house, (99% gluten free, it's great!) worst case scenario I could order a batch to go, maybe? They are the stringy, long kind of onion rings so I think that would be a good topper. As for the cream of mushroom soup, for me that would be great...I like mushroom - but my parents, boyfriend and sister do not. Do you know of a gluten free cheese substitute? If I could make a gluten free version as close to the real version as possible it would be ideal. Is there an easy way to melt down gluten free cheddar cheese, for example?

I'm also not a very experienced cook, I've made simple things like English muffin pizzas, scrambled eggs, cakes, stuff like that. I feel like if I tried to get too creative it will taste awful ;P

Thanks for your responses!

Would something like this work?

kareng Grand Master

Wow! Both recipes look great. I'm not sure how it's going to go...my family might not be willing to eat the gluten free recipe and in that case, I will have to make two separate dishes.

Funyons are an interesting idea. Would gluten free onion rings work, assuming I can find them? There is a restaurant near my house, (99% gluten free, it's great!) worst case scenario I could order a batch to go, maybe? They are the stringy, long kind of onion rings so I think that would be a good topper. As for the cream of mushroom soup, for me that would be great...I like mushroom - but my parents, boyfriend and sister do not. Do you know of a gluten free cheese substitute? If I could make a gluten free version as close to the real version as possible it would be ideal. Is there an easy way to melt down gluten free cheddar cheese, for example?

I'm also not a very experienced cook, I've made simple things like English muffin pizzas, scrambled eggs, cakes, stuff like that. I feel like if I tried to get too creative it will taste awful ;P

Thanks for your responses!

What do you usually make green bean casserole with?  Usually its cream of mushroom soup and does not contain cheese.

My mom usually would use either cream of cheddar, or cream of chicken because she, my dad and sister don't like mushrooms. (My boyfriend doesn't either, but I think he would try it just to be supportive) My family won't want to eat it if I use a mushroom soup, so I was hoping to find a gluten free cheddar soup substitute that would work similarly. It would be ideal if I could just make one pan of it that everyone will be willing to try. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

My mom usually would use either cream of cheddar, or cream of chicken because she, my dad and sister don't like mushrooms. (My boyfriend doesn't either, but I think he would try it just to be supportive) My family won't want to eat it if I use a mushroom soup, so I was hoping to find a gluten free cheddar soup substitute that would work similarly. It would be ideal if I could just make one pan of it that everyone will be willing to try. 

Pacific has gluten-free cream of chicken.  Maybe you could add some cheese?

Adalaide Mentor

I thought this looked like a nice traditional recipe. You can of course use any soup you like.

Fourmonkeysjumping Rookie

I don't recommend the funyons. We tried it once and they got horribly soggy. I'll grant you, it was years ago (we've been gluten-free nine years) and I don't think there was a readily available cream of mushroom soup, so I'm sure we made our own and it may have been too thin. I honestly don't remember, I just remember being so disappointed in how soggy and gross the funyons got.

Archived