Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Donuts Made W/ Yeast And Fried Question

7 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone can give me a clue here. I'm going to try yeast raised donuts (small ones) to fill w/ jelly for Hanukkah this year. Has anyone made them before? Is there any way I can make them in advance? Or do I really have to make them the day we'll eat them?

I think I'll try a small batch before the party I hope to have and would really appreciate any thoughts!

TIA

Ads by Google:

I buy them as a mix from Gluten Free Heaven. I do make them as donut holes. The instructions say to roll them out as a snake in sprayed plastic wrap and it works really well, although it takes a little getting used to. Then you just cut them to size and let them raise. They do not keep well, even overnight and I would recommend doing them the same day, and I imagine this will be true of any, including ones you make not from a mix. You can though make and freeze the dough, then get it out and let it raise and fry and fill it the morning of.

I haven't made gluten-free donuts, but I used to make yeast jelly-filled donuts (paczki).  They tasted like heaven, but only just fresh from cooling and filling.  I didn't care for them an hour or so even (maybe I just stuffed myself so much that I got sick of them).  Commercial bakers must use preservatives to keep donuts fresh for hours.  It was a lot of work and mess, so it was only done on holidays.  

Make a trial batch before your holiday.  Good luck and keep us posted.

I didn't care for them an hour or so even (maybe I just stuffed myself so much that I got sick of them). 

Bahahaha I do that! I just keep grabbing one. It's just one right. Pretty soon I've eaten like a dozen, then more. :ph34r: An hour later I don't even want to see a donut!

I admit that I'm a piggy!  Ate about 8 Snickerdoodle cookies last night.  They tasted so good fresh from the oven (and they were just sitting there on on the cooling rack calling to me!  They taste great straight from the freezer, too!  I'm going to break a tooth someday!  Too impatient to wait for them to defrost!  I ate a frozen brownie too.  I have such a sweet tooth!

Thanks for your help! I'll make a batch but only make a few to see how it works and then freeze the rest of the dough and fry them up on party day. I'll let you know how it comes out!

If it were me, I would fry up 2 or 3 the day before just to make sure they turn out okay. And because who can't use a few donuts the day before a party to get you through the prep. :)