Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Update On "drunken" Symptoms In 3 Year Old.

9 posts in this topic

Purely by accident, I believe I have discovered what was causing my daughter's drunken symptoms explained in a previous post. OATS.  We had been having certified gluten free oatmeal every morning for quite some time, and then just happened to run out. 3 days after not eating it for breakfast I realized the loopy behavior seemed to be diminishing. We are going to give it more time to see if things continue to improve, but I am quite hopeful that this is the ticket, and my daughter is one of those 20% of celiacs that also reacts to oats. I hope this discovery can help someone else that someday might experience the same, so I wanted to update.

Ads by Google:

Glad you figured it out.  I am also sensitive to oats.

Wow!! Even Gluten Free oats huh? Good to know! What brand are they? I am glad to hear you figured it out!! 

Wow!! Even Gluten Free oats huh? Good to know! What brand are they? I am glad to hear you figured it out!! 

I've used two brands one is prOatina and one is the Bob's red mill, both are certified gluten-free however apparently 20% of celiacs react to oat protein in and of itself and I think that is what's going on here.

I'm glad you may possibly have it figured out. It stinks that it's another food you have to cut....but awesome that it isn't something more serious.

So glad it isn't something more serious. The possibilities with those symptoms were positively scary! And hey, there are worse things to live without than oats. It's doubtful that she'll remember her oatmeal mornings and there are other hot cereals she should be able to have if you want to keep giving her hot cereal with winter fast approaching. (Or already here depending on where you live.)

A lot of people (me included) like Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal, although to be honest I'm not sure on whether or not it's oat safe because of possible CC. A quick email or call should be able to let you know. And there is a ton you can do with grits to make it appealing to kids her age.

Anywho, gratz on figuring it out and on it being something so minor and not a major medical issue. That is such great news. :)

Interesting!  Due to a mistake on my part, I now know that oats make me itch all over.  gluten-free or otherwise.

Amazing. Glad you figured it out. Some days I feel like life is a jigsaw puzzle, if you keep looking - eventually the pieces will fit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      Look into The Paleo Approach by Sara Ballentyne, PhD.  Great resource and will probably answer your questions.  I have the same problem. You have to really read labels.  The only coconut milk I can use is an organic canned one.  Others have too many ingredients that are problematic.  For now, stay with meat and vegetables as someone else has recommended.  If rice works for you, great.  If not, winter squash is good.  The diet change is overwhelming at first but then it starts to make sense.  The one good thing about an intolerance versus allergy is the possibility of someday being able to add it back into your diet once your gut has healed.
    • Anyone experience brain fog like this?
      I went gluten free about a month ago, and was finally feeling *great* last week when wham -- my well-meaning Dad cooked me dinner and forgot to check the ingredients on the fish sauce he used. The upside of being glutened for the first time is that, after a couple weeks of feeling good, I feel like I can discern the symptoms a lot better now. I've noticed that the worst part, aside from the nausea, is the "brain fog," but I'm curious if my experience of brain fog is the same as or similar to what other people are feeling. For me, it becomes almost physically painful to concentrate on anything. If I try to read a book, or watch a TV show, it makes me feel dizzy, overwhelmed, and nauseous. For a couple days, I feel like all I can do is try to stay still and do as little as possible while I wait it out. It feels similar to anxiety, but not quite the same, and none of the usual tricks for getting through a panic attack help. Do any of you experience brain fog in a similar way? Where it basically makes you feel sick to try and concentrate on anything, even fun and relaxing things?
    • gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      I've never gone fructose free so can't help much with that.  But any fruit is probably a problem.  If you are serious about avoiding fructose you could do a search and print out a list of foods to avoid. http://www.mayoclinic.org/fructose-intolerance/expert-answers/faq-20058097 Yes, it very possible to have multiple food intolerance issues.  Many people have multiple food intolerances.  It might help to avoid any foods that are sweet for now.  Meat and most veggies are probably the way to go.  You may want to get some jerky to eat for snacks.  Peanuts might be ok but you'll need to verify that.  Boiled eggs are probably ok.  Most soda would be a no-no.      
    • Help
      Hi Courtney, You asked about dairy, and RMJ got it right.  Celiac disease destroys the villi lining of the small intestine.  Those villi make the lactase enzyme we need to digest dairy. Sigmoid colon thickening could be related to diverticulitis.  Which according to Wiki is a fairly common condition but doesn't always cause symptoms.  Diverticulitis can cause a problem if there is an infection though.  The sigmoid colon is part of the large intestine.  Celiac disease affects the small intestine, so celiac isn't likely involved.  I am not sure why the resident suggested celiac, unless there were some other reason to do so.  Possibly the weight loss, which could be explained by celiac disease.  Thickening of the colon may happen with Crohn's disease also.  And I'm not sure about UCD (ulcerative colitis disease) but it might cause that also, not sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulosis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoid_colon http://biology-pages.info/G/GITract.html#pancreas http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/
    • So I've been glutened....
      Hi JMG, Since it's easy, and always fun, I'd blame your sister. That's what I do.  But seriously, if it's an ongoing problem, rather than an isolated incident stick with your first guess.  Then test it.   So get rid of the oat bread or the sister (her food) or anything that is a consistent part of your diet and you suspect could be the problem.  Of course processed foods are the most likely issue always. It's easy enough to drop back to a very few foods for a few days and see if things improve.  Eating with celiac isn't about having the most exciting diet, it's about eating a medically safe diet.  So it can be boring sometimes.  That's ok, being in pain is exciting but not so fun.   Boring is fine. You might ask your sister what brands of flour she used, and other ingredients.  Then check on those products for possible gluten issues.  If they turn out to be possible problems, make a note of it so you can avoid them in the future. My own sister has been gluten-free for years but she has made me sick several times with her "creations".  It really is best to trust your own cooking and nobody else's for at least 6 months as you are getting used to the diet and healing.  Then slowly branch out and add things in maybe 1 new item in a week.  Slow and controlled diet changes are the way to go.  Boring but safe.  Happy but slow.    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    jamieleggatt@gmail.com