Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Update On "drunken" Symptoms In 3 Year Old.

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 D-borealis

D-borealis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Purely by accident, I believe I have discovered what was causing my daughter's drunken symptoms explained in a previous post. OATS.  We had been having certified gluten free oatmeal every morning for quite some time, and then just happened to run out. 3 days after not eating it for breakfast I realized the loopy behavior seemed to be diminishing. We are going to give it more time to see if things continue to improve, but I am quite hopeful that this is the ticket, and my daughter is one of those 20% of celiacs that also reacts to oats. I hope this discovery can help someone else that someday might experience the same, so I wanted to update.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

thanks!

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

Glad you figured it out.  I am also sensitive to oats.

#4 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Wow!! Even Gluten Free oats huh? Good to know! What brand are they? I am glad to hear you figured it out!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#5 D-borealis

D-borealis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Wow!! Even Gluten Free oats huh? Good to know! What brand are they? I am glad to hear you figured it out!! 

I've used two brands one is prOatina and one is the Bob's red mill, both are certified gluten-free however apparently 20% of celiacs react to oat protein in and of itself and I think that is what's going on here.

#6 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm glad you may possibly have it figured out. It stinks that it's another food you have to cut....but awesome that it isn't something more serious.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

So glad it isn't something more serious. The possibilities with those symptoms were positively scary! And hey, there are worse things to live without than oats. It's doubtful that she'll remember her oatmeal mornings and there are other hot cereals she should be able to have if you want to keep giving her hot cereal with winter fast approaching. (Or already here depending on where you live.)

A lot of people (me included) like Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal, although to be honest I'm not sure on whether or not it's oat safe because of possible CC. A quick email or call should be able to let you know. And there is a ton you can do with grits to make it appealing to kids her age.

Anywho, gratz on figuring it out and on it being something so minor and not a major medical issue. That is such great news. :)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Interesting!  Due to a mistake on my part, I now know that oats make me itch all over.  gluten-free or otherwise.

#9 tommysmommy

tommysmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Amazing. Glad you figured it out. Some days I feel like life is a jigsaw puzzle, if you keep looking - eventually the pieces will fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: