Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Stool Test Shows Elevated Eosinophils, Could It Be Celiac?

genovastooltest eosinophils

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 rdmullins

rdmullins

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi, I am new to all this but need some advice on how I should proceed with testing. 

I have a 12 month old son, that is by all standards, a healthy normal boy. He is on tract developmentally, growth chart-wise, etc. He doesn't seem to be in pain before, during, or after eating. The only problem I have noticed is ever since starting solids (at 7 months) he has a lot of undigested food in his stool. I get mixed reviews on if this is a concern or not, but my gut feeling is its not right. I could easily tell you what he had as his last meal by his poop. Its that obvious. He has no other symptoms of pain, rashes, hives, etc. 

I am still breastfeeding him and I currently consume gluten, but have never gave it to him until recently. At his first birthday party a few weeks ago he got ahold of some gluten. Long story short, it was a poor decision on my part. He ended up breaking out in a Keratosis Pilaris type of rash all over his trunk area. The only thing I can figure is its from the gluten he ate. Two weeks later, its still not gone. 

Before all this, I went to a holistic MD/ND doctor and requested a Genova Dianogtics CDSA stool test. i wanted to see what was going on in his gut. After the party I got his results back. One of the biggest concerns is his had elevated eosinophils in his stool (his level was 11.2 and the max should be 7). The Dr was very concerned about this. Basically his body is fighting something off as if its an infection, but we don't know what. Also his pH level was really acidic (4.2 when it should be between a 6-7).

The doctor's first line of attack is its a parasite. I find this highly unlikely but I am retesting the parasite part of the Genova stool test to confirm. If its not that, then he suspects a food related allergy, such as celiac, crohn's disase, etc. 

In conclusion, I am trying to figure out what would be the best testing for him to figure out whats causing the undigested food. I have researched Cyrex, Genova, and Entero lab. He has never had any food allergy testing done (blood or skin prick). 

Here are my questions:

-would the blood test be accurate on him? Since he has only had one gluten exposure (other than he gets it everyday through me breastfeeding). 

-would jumping to a celiac test be necessary at this point? or should I stick with general allergy testing? 

-As anyone had elevated eosinophils in stool? I know this can be related to EGID and celiac but he honestly has no symptoms of either disease. 

Thank you for an insight you can give me, my doctors appt is tomorrow afternoon. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Celiac can be "silent" and not be diagnosed until blood panel and endoscopy with biopsy is done. Your child is showing symptoms of something going on and is possibly Celiac. (an endoscopy with biopsy can also test for EGID, H. Ployri infection, parasites and other possible conditions.)

Your child needs to keep eating a "normal" diet.  If you eliminate the "trigger" for Celiac or EGID it will not cause the damage and will not be diagnosed.

Michigan

#3 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

My youngest's primary source of gluten was via breastmilk and she tested off.the.charts. in her celiac lab.

I'd get the blood test sooner rather than later.  It's easy enough to do and will give you a ballpark of where he stands.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: