#1 annajazz

annajazz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hello Everyone!

I will admit that before becoming a Celiac (about two weeks ago) I loved everything breaded!

Bread Crumbs are always present in a abundance in my kitchen....now.....not so much.

I went to a couple of my local grocery stores looking for a good sub. Now I have given rice flour a try, but I want that crunch/ texture of bread crumbs. I also tried some corn gluten free guarantee to be the best thing ever $8 bag of stuff, ehh it was ok. 

So about four days ago I started to put everything together to make some Danish meatballs, only to remember that I could not have the bread crumbs in it any more :( 

So I decided to be inventive. I noticed my box of rice chex. And decided why not? So I subbed my 1/2 cup of bread crumb for a 1/2 cup of crushed up Rice Chex cereal. And they turned out great!

Last night I used crushed up Corn Chex to make a outer coating to some baked chicken legs. Nice and crunchy. 

Just though I would share :)

What are things other people have come up with to sub for bread crumbs? Let me know :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

I save the ends of my loaves I purchase and keep them in the freezer.  When I accumulate a bag full, I run it in the food processor (or crunch it up in a plastic bag using a rolling pin).  

Good tip on the crushed Chex!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I also save the end pieces of my bread. When I have a bag full I cut each slice into four pieces and put it in the oven at 325 for as long as it takes to dry out all the way through and lightly brown, about 20-30 minutes. I keep the pieces in an air tight can. Need bread crumbs? Throw some in the blender. Need snacks? Spread cheese on a few or use it for bruschetta. I love having it available.  

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Mostly homemade bread but also pulverized lentils, gluten-free steel cut oats, crackers
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 blmoreschi

blmoreschi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

I read somewhere to use frozen waffles, and we had one brand that my Celiac daughter didn't like at all that had just been taking up space in the freezer. So last week I put them in my mini food processor and voila! breadcrumbs. They were perfect and not sweet at all.  Other than that, I do like others. I save the heels from Udi's or Canyon Bakehouse breads (our preferred) and use those for breadcrumbs or homemade croutons. And I've used gluten-free quick oats in meatloaf in place of bread crumbs, too. I can't imagine buying one of those bags of gluten-free breadcrumbs - very pricey!

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

I call them bread butts, but I do the same thing. I just keep them in the freezer until I need breadcrumbs, toast them in the toaster then put them in my food processor. I don't think I ever buy regular flavored Chex so they wouldn't work out well for me, but I have been known to use other cereals for breading as a coating.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 annajazz

annajazz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

I also save the end pieces of my bread. When I have a bag full I cut each slice into four pieces and put it in the oven at 325 for as long as it takes to dry out all the way through and lightly brown, about 20-30 minutes. I keep the pieces in an air tight can. Need bread crumbs? Throw some in the blender. Need snacks? Spread cheese on a few or use it for bruschetta. I love having it available.  

O.O That is such a great idea! Will definitely try this. :)

Thanks for the tip!

-anna 

#8 annajazz

annajazz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

I read somewhere to use frozen waffles, and we had one brand that my Celiac daughter didn't like at all that had just been taking up space in the freezer. So last week I put them in my mini food processor and voila! breadcrumbs. They were perfect and not sweet at all.  Other than that, I do like others. I save the heels from Udi's or Canyon Bakehouse breads (our preferred) and use those for breadcrumbs or homemade croutons. And I've used gluten-free quick oats in meatloaf in place of bread crumbs, too. I can't imagine buying one of those bags of gluten-free breadcrumbs - very pricey!

That's a great idea! Will have to keep that in mind next time I hit the store. Ya those gluten-free breadcrumbs are pricey and not really all that good in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips :D

-annajazz

#9 mamafish

mamafish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

It's been a while since we were last gluten-free, but I used gluten-free oats buzzed in the blender for meatballs and stuff where I just needed the absorbency.  For things like gluten-free homemade chicken nuggets, where crunch matters, I crushed up potato chips.

#10 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Great ideas in this thread :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi!

I have been using Chex rice cereal from the minute that they came out.

From the beginning, when I just started with the gluten free baking, I made only bread crumbs :D :D :D. I tried many recipes and made huge breads that were edible proximately for two days. Rest got hard like stone. You could break your teeth on them. I dried them up, and made bread crumbs with the help of food processor. Today, I'm a "professional" in baking, and I have a problem with bread crumbs. I don't make them anymore. So I have been using Chex.

I will run 1 and half box of Chex cereal in the food processor. It will turn to flour. Then I will crunch another half of  bag with a rolling pin, or meat tenderizer. I will mix everything together, and store in a steel container.  

#12 massagemamaof3

massagemamaof3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

These are all great ideas! We are just starting our gluten-free lifestyle, so I've been worried about how to revamp my regular recipes.  I will definitely try the chex for my chicken recipes!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: