14 replies to this topic

#1 capawa

capawa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:48 AM

I sent Chili's Restaurant an email to see if they have gluten-free foods and here is their response. Don't know if anyone else has a Chili's in their area.

Thank you very much for your email and for your interest in Chili's. We are very happy
to provide you with a list of suggested menu items.

Please be aware that we cannot guarantee that any item is completely wheat-free due to
cross-contamination possibilities in the preparation of our food items. Therefore, the list
we have compiled is based on the information obtained from our supplier ingredient
statements:

Bacon Burger with no bun, no dill pickles, no mayo
Baked Potato Soup
Chili's Filet Steak - no garlic toast
Chips - No Salsa
Chocolate Shake
Citrus Fire Chicken and Shrimp
Flamed-grilled Ribeye - no garlic toast
Salmon and Rice with Steamed Veggies with no ginger citrus sauce
Kid Burger and Fries - no bun
Margarita-grilled Chicken with no black beans or kettle beans
Mashed Potatoes
Mushroom Swiss Burger with no mayo, no dill pickles, no bun.
Old Timer Burger with or without Cheese with no mustard, no bun, no dill pickles.
Side of Sautéed mushrooms
Tuna Steak Sandwich with no aioli dressing, no bun
** French Fries are okay however, see note below

** French Fries are not fried in a dedicated fryer and could pick up wheat proteins from
the oil used to fry other items.

We hope you are able to choose a meal to your liking. Should you have any further
inquiries regarding our menu items please contact Mr. Tom Foegle at 972/980-9917 in
our Food & Beverage Quality Assurance Department.

Thank you again for your interest in Chili's and we look forward to serving you very
soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aightball

Aightball

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:52 AM

That looks like the email I got. THe only difference being that for me, my dairy allergy complicates things a bit. But, I think I can still eat there with few problems. I wonder, though, what's up with the mayo? I've never had a problem with mayo, so I wonder what's in theirs.

-Kel

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:49 AM

And dill pickles? What do they put in their pickles?

But it's really nice to know that there are some options, since there are Chili's almost everywhere I ever go. Those are actually enough options that you'd feel like you had some choices and could order kind of like anybody else.

Thanks for posting that list!

#4 capawa

capawa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

You're welcome. I don't understand what could be wrong with pickles or mayo either. But at least I know to stay away from them at Chili's. :D

#5 laurie17

laurie17

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

what could be wrong with the salsa?
Laurie

mother of 18 month old son dx with dairy and peanut allergy. His blood test was negative for celiac 7/08...now trying to avoid all wheat in diet

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD FOUR YEARS OLD AND INFORMATION POSTED HERE IS NOT CURRENT.

Chilli's will provide you with a current, limited gluten free menu at the restaurant.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

I have always found Chili's to be very helpful. Their gluten-free menu accounts for CC, and doesn't list dishes that are inevitably CC'd-- for example their corn chips and french fries. They were one of my first gluten-free restaurant experiences, and I said to the waitress "I have a wheat allergy" and before I could finish me sentence she said "All gluten or just wheat?" and brough me the gluten-free menu. Granted, she had worked in a health food store, but it was great nonetheless. My favorite is the margarita chicken.
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#8 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

I eat at Chile's at least once a month and have not had any problems. Granted, my dairy and corn allergies limit me to only two meats (hamburger patty and grilled chicken breast) and steamed vegetables, but it's still a treat to eat out.

I think that, as a whole, the restaurant is good at educating at least their managers about the gluten-free menus, and the cooks seem to understand about the meat being cooked on a clean grill surface. Now and then I get a new waiter/ess who isn't up to speed, but they always seem to be eager to learn about it when I give my standard explanation.

Just last week I had a waiter who was new (2nd day) but who actually knew what Celiac was and volunteered he'd make sure the cooks knew it had to be gluten-free. He just didn't know where to lay his hands on that gluten-free menu.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#9 Katester

Katester

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

I've had Chili's many times in the past couple weeks and I didn't have a single problem. I've felt perfectly normal each time. I get the Southwestern Cobb Salad with no chicken and no bacon (veg). They charge less because of the lack of meat. It's a delicious salad and I haven't had a problem with it yet! Fingers crossed!!!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007
negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007
positive bloodwork-january 2008
diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

#10 LisaInTexas

LisaInTexas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

I've had Chili's many times in the past couple weeks and I didn't have a single problem. I've felt perfectly normal each time. I get the Southwestern Cobb Salad with no chicken and no bacon (veg). They charge less because of the lack of meat. It's a delicious salad and I haven't had a problem with it yet! Fingers crossed!!!

I am a vegetarian as well (and semi-vegan) and I ordered the house salad and a bowl of potato soup (from their gluten free menu) and the salad was served first (with croutons) as well as shredded cheese that wasn't listed on the ingredients list. Then came the soup (they served it to me with cracker packages) as well as with cheese and bacon on top. argh They were nice enough to take them back for me and the manager gladly printed off the ingredient list for each of the cheeses to confirm that they were in fact gluten free (so I picked it off) but it's not reassuring for me when I order from the gluten free menu and both plates come back with gluten on or near them. Then they tell me..."Oh, I totally understand...I know...I have allergies too..." we'll go fix this for you. mmmhmmm.
---
One celiac marker, one gluten sensitive marker
Positive for autoimmune reaction/tissue transglutaminase
Positive for gluten sensitivity/IgA antibodies elevated
10/20/08 gluten free
12/1/08 meat free

#11 Treen Bean

Treen Bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

I think the salsa is fine now. I just ate at a Chili's where they provided me with a gluten-free "menu". The salsa was listed on it. Just FYI.
Treen Bean

A gluten free goddess in training! - 2 years and counting

#12 Tica

Tica

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

My daughter has eaten at chili's and she LOVED the potatoe soup.... just wanted to share that. :ph34r:
Tica

#13 GFLisa

GFLisa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

Wow, where are you guys eating? lol Every single time I go to Chilis I have a reaction. I don't even try with them anymore. :(

#14 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

I eat there occasionally when I am out by the mall and its the closest restaurant around. I feel safest with the rack of ribs and as of yet have never been glutened by them (I am very sensitive). You have to order a whole one though to fill up because they are a chain and use cheaper cuts of meat and their ribs barely have any meat on them.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#15 curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ah me too. I went in dec and felt horrid afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: