This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation Cause And Help

Renaye

Renaye Contributor

My pain that I have had for many years is gone after I quit gluten but not the constipation.  I have some other intolerances - dairy, peanuts and egg that I have taken out of my diet but that has not helped the constipation either.  I have tried various forms of fiber and now take miralax which works but I really don't have "normal" bms with it. I generally don't go without using something.  I really see my constipation get worse with eating gluten-free bread and pasta which I woke up this morning thinking rice may be the problem.  Any ideas?  I love pasta but use it in moderation already.  I feel like I will never gain or even maintain my weight if I take out rice products.  New gastro only pushes FIBER and more FIBER.....

There is a good possiblity that it could be autoimmune related as I have a positive ANA and may have some sort of lupus thing going on.  Thyroid is normal.  Being constipated is so depressing.  What are your thoughts on rice?

Thanks

Renaye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I read a book called Fiber Menace, which is very controversial, but in my opinion I really think the author has got something.  GutSense.org is his website, and there's a lot of information there.  He talks about how gluten and casein should be eliminated for everyone.

Like I said I realize it's controversial, and all we hear is more fiber, more fiber and water, but the author completely denounces that idea.  I am a prime example of pumping the fiber into my body and drinking boat loads of water, and it only made me feel worse.  Giving up gluten made everything work, and I was so excited, but a few weeks ago I reintroduced dairy, and realized I still wasn't ready for it, and I'm still trying to get my system back on track.  

Although they are not appealing, I find the thing that works best for me when I need some help is not an enema or glycerin suppositories, but pure liquid glycerin.  I don't use any of the ones that have any kind of stimulating agent in them because I don't want to cause dependency.  Trust me I've tried all kinds of laxatives, and I've found this is the best one and safest in my opinion.

Sometimes there is that controversial person, but I believe in what he's saying.  He says some plant fiber is fine from fruits and veggies, but added fiber is a big no-no.  

I always like to remember that there was a point in time where people thought the man that suggested the world is round and not flat was crazy.  Who's laughing now  :)

My pain that I have had for many years is gone after I quit gluten but not the constipation.  I have some other intolerances - dairy, peanuts and egg that I have taken out of my diet but that has not helped the constipation either.  I have tried various forms of fiber and now take miralax which works but I really don't have "normal" bms with it. I generally don't go without using something.  I really see my constipation get worse with eating gluten-free bread and pasta which I woke up this morning thinking rice may be the problem.  Any ideas?  I love pasta but use it in moderation already.  I feel like I will never gain or even maintain my weight if I take out rice products.  New gastro only pushes FIBER and more FIBER.....

There is a good possiblity that it could be autoimmune related as I have a positive ANA and may have some sort of lupus thing going on.  Thyroid is normal.  Being constipated is so depressing.  What are your thoughts on rice?

Thanks

Renaye

nvsmom Community Regular

Fibre did nothing for me either. I used to take two types of fibre pills and mix in fibre into my water... Didn't help. Going gluten-free only helped my C after I had been gluten-free for close to a year.... Probably not what you want to hear. :(.

Coconut oil and cream, nuts, and coffee help me now. Good luck.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks

Renaye

Which thyroid test results convinced you that your thyroid is 'normal'? Did you test free t3, free t4, TPOab, as well as TSH? What was your doc's normal range for TSH? 

I struggled with constipation for years. Abstaining from gluten and my other 6 allergies helped somewhat, but I wasn't normal. Other digestive aid (betaine hcl for hypochloridia) eliminated bloating after eating.  Taking Magnesium aspartate insured a daily bowel movement, but I still didn't have normal stools.  Only after I was dx'd with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and another year of getting the proper dose of thyroid supplement did I finally have normal stools, no matter how much fiber I consume, no matter.  I still take magnesium, but more for bone health than laxative effect.  I can also get diarrhea if I eat too many grapes or too many sweets. I never got diarrhea before thyroid supplements. 

Besides constipation, I had all the classic hypothyroid symptoms: fatigue, fingernail ridges and tears, feeling cold except in 80 degree weather, feeling overwhelmed by simple tasks, etc.I didn't have weight problems, because I had digestive difficulties for years before dx'd with celiac, food allergies and hypochloridia (low stomach acid). Do you have any of those classic hypothyroid symptoms?

Renaye Contributor

I have been gluten-free since April 2011 and dairy, peanut and egg free since April 2012.  Nothing has made a difference yet.  I believe I was tested for T4 free and T4, T3 uptake and thyroid antibodies which were all in normal range.  Before I went gluten-free I had a low TSH 0.307 but now miraculously is within normal range.  I don't know details but am getting retested again at the end of January.  I have symptoms of fatigue, cold all the time and constipation, but unfortunately the cold and fatigue can match many other autoimmune diseases.

Renaye

nutritionguy Rookie

Thanks

Renaye

One of the most powerful things you can do to reverse constipation and keep your bowels moving is exercise, and walking continuously for up to 30 minutes a day (if you are up to this) will help a great deal if you are not yet doing this.  As for fiber, the best type of fiber is the natural fiber that is found in whole foods--vegetables and nuts.  Although almost all vegetables can be beneficial, nondigestable carbohydrates called fructooligosaccharides (found in significant amounts in foods such as onions, garlic, asparagus, and artichoke) may be especially helpful because they promote and stimulate the growth of probiotic "bifidofacteria" in the gastrointestinal tract.  These probiotic bacteria help to minimize inflammation caused by other bacteria that are normally found and grow in the gastrointestinal tract.  

BelleVie Enthusiast

As far as the cause of your constipation, I wouldn't know what to tell you. But (and sorry if this is too forward, folks!) enemas work miracles for me when I am constipated. You can get them at any drug store for a very low price. The instructions are inside. It's incredibly easy and ALWAYS works for me when I have problems going. I hope that helps you! (For the record, I tried more fiber, laxatives that only sometimes worked, psyllium husks, etc. Enemas are the only thing that has consistently worked for me.) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived