This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Uncommon Question

Macmuireadhaigh

Macmuireadhaigh Enthusiast

So, I've been on a gluten-free diet for a little over a month and decided to go out and try Dominos gluten-free pan pizza. Although they claim the ingredients are gluten-free, they clearly state that its made on the same tables as regular pizzas. There's a risk of cross-contamination. But that's not even my problem. I am undiagnosed and have went on the gluten-free until I can find out what's wrong. Here's my question. Since I've been off gluten for a month, I have not had a problem with vague metallic tasting, until tonight when I ate this pizza again. Nobody has been able to explain this to me, and I find it frustrating because it makes no sense. I was already tested for mercury and other poisonings, and I had none. I find it interesting that I haven't had a problem until eating this pizza (since being on the gluten-free diet), which is made on glutenous pizzas. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelleVie Enthusiast

One of the many symptoms of a food intolerance is getting a metallic taste in the mouth after eating the offending food. I used to get a similar taste in my mouth after eating baked goods. 

But was this related to your celiac or a food allergy?

BelleVie Enthusiast

Celiac, I'm pretty sure. I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of. 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

There are a few diseases that can cause a metallic taste, but so can a Vit B-12 deficiency or a Zinc deficiency.  Celiac can cause all sorts of vitamin deficiencies.

LauraTX Rising Star

I have had a few gluten free processed items and mixes that give a vague metallic aftertaste to me.  If it is that pizza, and that pizza only that causes the metallic taste and it goes away, I would say maybe it is just full of weird ingredients that don't add up to a proper flavor profile.  If the metallic taste came and stayed, I would say it may not have anything to do with the food you ate, it just happened to manifest at that time.  If the taste does not go away, I would definitely go to the doctor for it.

It definitely stops after about eight hours of eating, sometimes longer, because I didn't have it at all for weeks while on the gluten-free diet. Mind you, I didn't have pizza the whole few weeks either so IDK. 

BellVie, you said that you used to get a similar taste in your mouth after eating baked goods, I'm guessing this was before you were diagnosed? So, then did you celiac cause this or was it a food alergy? Just a little confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelleVie Enthusiast

Hi Macmuireadhaigh, it was before my diagnosis. I noticed it from time to time before, but didn't put it together until I started doing research into food intolerances in trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Like I said, I haven't been diagnosed with any allergies, so I'm assuming the metallic taste in my mouth was due to gluten intolerance. At any rate, I don't get it anymore, which is why I think it was celiac related. But like LauraTX said, if it's really worrisome for you, perhaps you could get it checked out again by a different doctor. You could also try keeping a food diary noting what you eat and at which times. Maybe with that you could see if there is a discernible pattern to the metallic taste. It could be another food intolerance as well. You could use it to rule out common intolerances like corn, soy, eggs, etc. 

Archived