This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Get Red Patches On My Hand...like Eczema.

melisadki

melisadki Explorer

They dont itch or anything they are just extremely dry it might be eczema but it comes and goes. I put lotion on them but it is still dry. After awhile they dry up and I can scratch the dry skin off and it clears up temporarily only to come back again :(

Does anyone else get this?

I also get really blotchy red arms and doctors and nurses are always asking me if I have been out in the sun.. :blink: maybe this is normal but I dont like it makes me feel ugly. There not bumps just red pigmented blotches all over my upper arms. This is the only place I have it. When the nurses do my blood pressure it gets even redder.

Any clue what this is or if it is related to gluten?

Thanks a bunch. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cornbread Explorer

I used to get a little bit of excema on my hands before I went gluten-free. Now I get it back only when I get glutened. I would conclude it's related to gluten. :)

bluelotus Contributor

I have psoriasis (an autoimmune disorder that maybe assoc with celiac disease). It sounds similar to your situation. My husband (not tested for celiac disease) has it to. Usually, it presents itself as dry skin patches that are slightly raised and will itch on occasion. These patches can be either pale or reddish. They are common on elbows, knees, groin area, and scalp. Some people will even develop it on their nails (which may or may not come and go) - usually appears as ridges or cracks in the nails. I even had it on my eye lid once. As far as the redness on your arm, I don't know, it doesn't sound entirely like psoriasis, but its different for everyone. Also, I don't have eczema or DH, so I really can't comment on whether your situation is more similar to one of the other conditions. Good luck.

melisadki Explorer

This is really so interesting........I didnt think a little food sensitivty could do so much.. :angry:

melisadki Explorer

Now that I think about it my little sister gets this too! My mother also before she died had extremely dry dermatitis skin and red and dry patches all over really bad.. :blink: I wonder if she had celiac all these years and never knew it. Did I mention she was also bipolar :unsure: .......I just hope I can get the rest of my family screened especially if I definetly am celiac and not just gluten intolerant. :wacko:

• 1 month later...
laurelfla Enthusiast

ok, i'm hoping someone can help me out here. :( i went to the dermatologist for some bumps on my calves. it started maybe back in feb. with one bump on my left calf, just raised and reddish and slightly wart-looking. it itched in the beginning but not for long, and none of them itch now.

so a couple months later i started to feel like crap (celiac disease) and i tried to figure all that out instead, since it seemed so much more important. went gluten-free along about july. fast forward to oct. or so, i noticed the bumps had spread on that same leg and had also spread to the right one. not itchy, and more pink than red, and getting larger. the dermatologist biopsied one a couple of weeks ago and called me Wed and said that they don't know what it is, but are calling it eczema. i now have a very expensive steroid cream to apply 2x daily and have to follow a hypoallergenic skin care routine (which i was pretty much doing anyway). i'm so upset. it's to the point where i can't even wear shorts anymore and i can't shave either (read: gross!!). if i get one more thing to deal with this semester i don't know what i'll do. the dermatologist threw around some really big scientific words i didn't understand, but one of the possible conditions she mentioned could take months or YEARS to go away. :(

i'm completely gluten-free, all my skin care products are too and have been for months, and it hasn't gotten better, but worse.

does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

thanks!!

laurelfla Enthusiast

also on my right elbow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

laurafla--I have not had experience with the type of eczema you have. I have it on my eyelid and have for over 10 years. It comes and goes--I've used everything from RX steroid cream to moisturizers. Nothing keeps it away for long. I hope you find the cause of yours and something that will help--at least keep it at bay. Wish I could have been more help.

• 2 months later...
Nickie Newbie
ok, i'm hoping someone can help me out here. :( i went to the dermatologist for some bumps on my calves. it started maybe back in feb. with one bump on my left calf, just raised and reddish and slightly wart-looking. it itched in the beginning but not for long, and none of them itch now.

so a couple months later i started to feel like crap (celiac disease) and i tried to figure all that out instead, since it seemed so much more important. went gluten-free along about july. fast forward to oct. or so, i noticed the bumps had spread on that same leg and had also spread to the right one. not itchy, and more pink than red, and getting larger. the dermatologist biopsied one a couple of weeks ago and called me Wed and said that they don't know what it is, but are calling it eczema. i now have a very expensive steroid cream to apply 2x daily and have to follow a hypoallergenic skin care routine (which i was pretty much doing anyway). i'm so upset. it's to the point where i can't even wear shorts anymore and i can't shave either (read: gross!!). if i get one more thing to deal with this semester i don't know what i'll do. the dermatologist threw around some really big scientific words i didn't understand, but one of the possible conditions she mentioned could take months or YEARS to go away. :(

i'm completely gluten-free, all my skin care products are too and have been for months, and it hasn't gotten better, but worse.

does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

thanks!!

Have them test for dermititis hereptiformis, my dermo just diagnosed me with this after 20 years witht he rash and if you are gluten intolerant may be DH.

Archived