Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Have Much To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving. Help Me Celebrate!

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

After having been low iodine for what seems like a lifetime in order to keep the dh rash from eating me/us alive, I am overjoyed to say that both my husband & I are eating iodine without incident! We began the iodine experiment slowly & cautiously on September 10th of this year. We have a whole egg every morning, in fact, this morning my hubs had two! We have cheese, ohhhhhhh that lovely flavor of cheese.... longhorn cheddar, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, swiss. Milk, milk for sake of itself, milk in things, milk chocolate (we may die from Raisinette overdose! LOL!), sour cream, chicken parmesan with the cheese, pizza, butter. Tonight we had baked potatoes halved & loaded with butter & sharp cheddar. Cheese in salads! The list goes on. We're no longer afraid of anything dairy because of the iodine content. You ought to see next weeks grocery list. Cream cheese, cottage cheese & more. I can finally have one of my favorite comfort foods ~~~~ cream of potato soup. 

Being gluten free was one thing & we have dealt with that very well. Not a big deal. But not being able to have dairy or turnip greens, spinach, asparagus, lima beans or other high iodine beans, whole eggs was torture. It seemed that every time we turned around we couldn't eat this or that or make this or that because of the iodine. I would find wonderful gluten-free recipes online or given to me by friends & there was always that big moment of letdown when it contained high iodine foods.

Yes, we still both have rash but it has been no worse since we reintroduced iodine.

It won't be long before we try adding back seafood.

But for now we are celebrating like crazy!!!!!!!! We truly have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. :D

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

So glad that you are healing so well and are able to include a few more tasty goodies in your diet. I love to hear this! :wub:

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

After having been low iodine for what seems like a lifetime in order to keep the dh rash from eating me/us alive, I am overjoyed to say that both my husband & I are eating iodine without incident! We began the iodine experiment slowly & cautiously on September 10th of this year. We have a whole egg every morning, in fact, this morning my hubs had two! We have cheese, ohhhhhhh that lovely flavor of cheese.... longhorn cheddar, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, swiss. Milk, milk for sake of itself, milk in things, milk chocolate (we may die from Raisinette overdose! LOL!), sour cream, chicken parmesan with the cheese, pizza, butter. Tonight we had baked potatoes halved & loaded with butter & sharp cheddar. Cheese in salads! The list goes on. We're no longer afraid of anything dairy because of the iodine content. You ought to see next weeks grocery list. Cream cheese, cottage cheese & more. I can finally have one of my favorite comfort foods ~~~~ cream of potato soup. 

Being gluten free was one thing & we have dealt with that very well. Not a big deal. But not being able to have dairy or turnip greens, spinach, asparagus, lima beans or other high iodine beans, whole eggs was torture. It seemed that every time we turned around we couldn't eat this or that or make this or that because of the iodine. I would find wonderful gluten-free recipes online or given to me by friends & there was always that big moment of letdown when it contained high iodine foods.

Yes, we still both have rash but it has been no worse since we reintroduced iodine.

It won't be long before we try adding back seafood.

But for now we are celebrating like crazy!!!!!!!! We truly have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. :D

Wow Squirms,  you sooooooooooooooooo deserve to have those foods back.  I will think of you today when I have my spinach salad for lunch !  We are all blessed and have much to be thankful for :D

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

Wow Squirms,  you sooooooooooooooooo deserve to have those foods back.  I will think of you today when I have my spinach salad for lunch !  We are all blessed and have much to be thankful for :D

Colleen

You are right on all counts Colleen! You have conquered cancer & hubs & I have an entire food group back AND more! I just can't wait to find some fresh asparagus!!!! Hubs calls it a vile weed but I say yummy, yummy in my tummy. :) And baked rice pudding here I come! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I am always happy to hear my friends are enjoying better health, reintroducing foods without adverse reactions and

in general, enjoying life as they so richly deserve! So whooooohoooo!

There was a time when I could barely eat anything, my GI tract was a such a burning, churning mess and then, the histamine intolerance made 

me so unhappy, but all that is reasonably under control now. I had shellfish last week and I'm ok! whew! 

Healed gut = happy campers enjoying simple pleasures!

Happy Thanksgiving. xx  Mangia & bon appetite!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

So glad that you are healing so well and are able to include a few more tasty goodies in your diet. I love to hear this! :wub:

You'll get there Abbs! There is light at the end of the tunnel & I can see it! One day we will both be on the other side of this bitch called dh & dancing in the rain. :)

I am always happy to hear my friends are enjoying better health, reintroducing foods without adverse reactions and

in general, enjoying life as they so richly deserve! So whooooohoooo!

There was a time when I could barely eat anything, my GI tract was a such a burning, churning mess and then, the histamine intolerance made 

me so unhappy, but all that is reasonably under control now. I had shellfish last week and I'm ok! whew! 

Healed gut = happy campers enjoying simple pleasures!

Happy Thanksgiving. xx  Mangia & bon appetite!

Thanks IH! :D

Bully for you having shellfish! Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm...... do I see oysters in your stuffing?

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thanks IH! :D

Bully for you having shellfish! Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm...... do I see oysters in your stuffing?

actually, no. :D

I know--you would think a New England Yankee like me would do that, but I am a purist. I only like apple and sage stuffing.

But yes, I love oysters. Oysters rockefeller. oh boy. (holy smokes, I just drooled a little.........)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Congratulations!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hip Hip Hooray!

This is fantastic news and I am thrilled to join in your joy :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thank you both! :)

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#13 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

that is so wonderful! I miss dairy! I can't wait to eat cheese again, too. Enjoy it for me too!

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thank you! And now I feel bad that you can't have dairy. :( It sucks doesn't it? You'll get there too though. Just hang in there & you'll get there. It's funny how when you haven't had something in a long, long time, you tend to OD on it. I'm putting cheese on things I never put cheese on in my entire life. LOL! I can't seem to get enough of it. My bones are thanking me though for the "calciyum". :D

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#15 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yeah... I crave greek yogurt and sharp cheddar cheese! I miss them so much!! But don't feel bad for me. Enjoy your food, you deserve it! I will get there one day, too. :) 

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14