9 replies to this topic

#1 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:34 AM

I was diagnosed as a Coeliac 2 years ago and despite being strictly gluten-free my antibodies haven't cleared up and my symptoms haven't improved much, which is really annoying as it's such a crappy diet to have to follow! I've tried cutting out dairy products as well but can't say it made any difference.
Someone on this site recommended digestive enzymes which I find actually do relieve the bloating, so thanks for that.
Has anyone tried going on an elimination diet to find out what else is bugging them? Did it work?
Regards, Bob

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

I have never tried it myself, but have had many celiac disease friends who have had to go on an elimination diet. The common theme seems to be that you need to keep a strict diary, start by cutting out everything but the basics that you KNOW are okay cold turkey, then adding back foods, one at a time. If you add one at a time, you can easily pinpoint the offending food and then eliminate it.

It seems that for a lot of celiacs allergies to soy, corn, tomatoes, nuts, and dairy go hand in hand with the disease.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:57 PM

Add eggs and yeast to that also. Many people have a problem with those.

Bob, I'm glad the digestive enzymes are helping. And I do hope that you find relief. An elimination diet might be hard to do, but you might find it was worth it. Good luck.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:18 AM

I did the elimination diet and that's when I felt the best. My problem is I added some food in too fast because I had to travel and got sick again.
It definitely works though and I would highly suggest it to anyone with food sensitivities.

Lily

#5 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:23 PM

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, I'll let you know if I get a miraculous cure!
Bob

#6 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:44 AM

Just a side note, Bob. It was no miraculous cure ;) , but there was noticeable improvement. I'm still healing and am waiting for that day to actually feel GOOD and I can't wait! :)

Good luck!

Lily

#7 bevo

bevo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

Just wondering, what digestive enzymes are helping you? I was told I'm sensitive to gluten (without having the celiac disease) as well as lactose intolerant/milk allergic. Although I'm avoiding these foods, I'm still having bloating issues. I'm wondering if it's the goat cheese (my naturopath said was okay) ...Also, can you have diet soft drinks (are some people more sensitive than others to the bubbles?)
If anyone could give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks much.

#8 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

Hi Bevo, I'm English so I just went to a Health Food shop over here and asked for some digestive enzyme tablets. They gave me some called Enzyme Digest, made by a company called Quest Vitamins. According to the blurb they contain something called "betaine HCI". Don't understand the science but I take a couple every time I eat and they've definitely helped with the bloating!
Hope this helps, good luck, Bob.

#9 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:09 PM

I use Oregon Health plant enzymes, recommended by my nutritionist.

Lily

#10 bevo

bevo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the info guys ! I'll look around at my local health food store. Best of luck to you !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: