This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Spectrometer To Detect Gluten Possible Future Product - Tellspec

GFinDC

GFinDC Veteran

Ok, this product is not currently available.  They claim it is going to be handheld spectrometer capable of identifying allergens, including gluten, in foods.  They are still raising funds to build them.  I am not suggesting anyone fund the device or recommending it.  Might work, might not.  But the idea is interesting and it might be worth checking on it over time to see how it progresses.  The idea of pointing a little gizmo at anything and identifying the presence of gluten is kinda cool.  Can you say tricorder Spock?  This gizmo is not ready for prime time and is not proven yet IMHO.  But heck, the phase cannons on the original Enterprise didn't work right out of the gate either.  So maybe someday..

Smaller Than Your Phone, This Device Could Keep You Healthy

Open Original Shared Link

TellSpec: What's in your food?

A revolutionary hand-held device that tells you the allergens, chemicals, nutrients, calories, and ingredients in your food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Would be great if it works!

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

that would be pretty cool!  I think instead of saying "smaller than your phone" it should just be made into a phone app :)

GF Lover Rising Star

I can see all of us going restaurants and whipping out our secret decoders.  I can dig it. :D

Colleen

tonalynn Explorer

Has anyone seen/heard of this? It is set to be released sometime in August of 2014. If it works, sign me up!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I am not sure what value this "device" could be for me. Honestly.Maybe I am not getting it? :lol:

tonalynn Explorer

IrishHeart, I don't know either. But I think the technology is amazing. The article said they may have devices for different conditions. As I get more and more used to identifying gluten in my foods, I'm sure I wouldn't need it as much. But right now it would be a godsend!!

Besides, it looks like a cool little gadget. Could be a fun way to break the ice when talking about Celiac. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I can see all of us going restaurants and whipping out our secret decoders.  I can dig it. :D

Colleen

Ha Ha!  Now if they can just add a function to phaser away the offending food when detected!

WinterSong Community Regular

I'm really confused as to how this works. How on earth can it identify the chemical makeup of foods by being pointed at it? I doubt it would be any good for detecting trace amounts of gluten and CC.

GF Lover Rising Star

Replies have been merged from a Topic called "New Technology For Celiacs" started by Tonalynn.  The merge puts all the replies by date so the thread may seem convoluted.

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

t. Could be a fun way to break the ice when talking about Celiac. :-)

lol

I know someone with a tee shirt that says "ask me about my celiac"

but that may be too "over the top"??.

But....you're right...at least the gizmo has james bond-ish appeal.

IrishHeart Veteran

Replies have been merged from a Topic called "New Technology For Celiacs" started by Tonalynn.  The merge puts all the replies by date so the thread may seem convoluted.

Colleen

I could not find that thread this morning. Kept saying error! error!

Made me wonder about my brain for a sec.

geesh, shouldn't  mess with us older peeps that way. :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

Sorry.  You know I loves ya.   gfindc won the draw cuz he posted the first thread :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry.  You know I loves ya.   gfindc won the draw cuz he posted the first thread :)

as it should be, of course...

we loves the GEE FREE man in a Bubble.

Happy Turkey day all! xx

bartfull Rising Star

Something like that would be really useful for those of us who have intolerances that are not "the big 8". When something doesn't have to be listed on the label if it was "used in processing", but it still leaves enough residue for us to react to, it could be a Godsend. (Of course I'm thinking about corn and my recent reaction to that vitamin C.)

Happy Thanksgiving Irish, and everyone else too. I was planning on putting up the tree here at the shop today, but I just don't feel like it! I hung the wreath in the door and I'm going to call it good. (Lazy??!!! ME??) I'm going to go home and spend the day with the cat and a good book. :)

• 5 weeks later...
bridgeofsighs Apprentice

This has scam written all over it.  It may have the capability to tell if gluten ingredients are used, but i don't see how it could ever detect minute amounts of cross contamination in a product.  I've been wrong before, though.  Back in 1997.

Archived