This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Glutened Myself At Work. Assumed It Was Gluten Free. Upset For Not Asking!

Kimbalou

Kimbalou Enthusiast

This is what happens when I assumed something is gluten-free! Sweet potatoes with brown sugar and nuts on top. Why do you need to put flour in the topping? Of course its a potluck so everyone can bring what they want. But usually this type of topping doesnt have flour. :( i asked about it after the fact. I am working 12 hours. Luckily I brought Immodium. Hope it isnt too bad. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I have made some errors in judgement myself (never, ever assume...yeah, we know this, but we trust and then, ARGH!!)

and then wonder why? why? why? argh again!! :(

Here's the thing. It happens. We live in a gluten- filled world and from time to time, we get blasted.

It's not your fault, hon -! -you know this----and I hope it is not too bad and that you recover swiftly.

big hugs!

I haven't seen you around in a while...good to see you,  even though you are posting with a "yuck post". :)

glutenmaestro Rookie

I never eat foods prepared by other people in their homes. As nice as home made food is, I often pass. 

It is just too risky. Not just for gluten/gluten contamination, but also hygiene issues given that celiacs all have a leaky gut.

Hope you get well soon. :)

flowerqueen Community Regular

I don't know why they found it necessary to add flour to that did either :( I must admit I would have assumed the same thing.  I hope you are not feeling too ill. (Fingers crossed eh?).

BelleVie Enthusiast

Aw, that really stinks! But it happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. I hope you are feeling better now! 

w8in4dave Community Regular

OMG I feel so bad for you!! I almost was thinking today I'd have a christmas cookie. Then as I was about ready to reach for one I was like "What are you doing?!!" So I didn't! I cannot imagine what I'd feel like now if I would have! Recover quickly! 

Sweet Potatoes are one of my favs!! I'd of assume the same thing! Yea why would they ad flour to it? They are good with nothing! I like them just plain!! 

BelleVie Enthusiast

Dave…ARE you crazy?!  :P Be careful! 

I'm recovering from an episode involving (I think) crushed red pepper produced in China. But who knows how on earth that could have been contaminated. I'm on day three, which is headache day, so by tomorrow I should be feeling relatively normal. Yuck yuck yuck. 

Flour is evil. Evil, I tell ya!! ;-) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

It took me years of tip-toeing around pot lucks before I finally said, "It looks great, but if I don't cook it, I can't eat it."

Hope you feel better soon!!

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

Aww, sweetie. That wasn't a weird assumption. Flour on sweet potatoes with nuts? That's bizarre.

I hope you feel better soon.

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

Another thing is, you never know about cross-contamination in other people's homes. Most people don't cook on new boards, with new utensils, etc. when they prepare gluten-free food...unless they're already a gluten-free household or have a gluten-free member (and even then, not always).

It stinks, nobody wants to say "no" when someone is urging that special dish that she slaved for hours to make, etc...I totally get that.

notme Experienced

I don't know why they found it necessary to add flour to that did either :( I must admit I would have assumed the same thing.  I hope you are not feeling too ill. (Fingers crossed eh?).

nearly every household in the south has sort of the same sweet potato & pecan casserole :)  our church made a recipe book and we had no less than 8 different variations of the same recipe lolz - and the one i always used had flour in the pecan topping.  i still make it, just sub gluten-free flour (it's not that much, but enough to make one of us sick!) 

Another thing is, you never know about cross-contamination in other people's homes. Most people don't cook on new boards, with new utensils, etc. when they prepare gluten-free food...unless they're already a gluten-free household or have a gluten-free member (and even then, not always).

It stinks, nobody wants to say "no" when someone is urging that special dish that she slaved for hours to make, etc...I totally get that.

i hate it worse (and thank goodness they have quit trying) when somebody works really hard to make a gluten free item and i am too afraid to try it.  if i can, i will take it home and feed it to somebody else and have them describe it to me so that i can say how delicious it was.  worse case scenario is when they stand there and expect you to taste it....... 

le sigh.....  :(

notme Experienced

It is just too risky. Not just for gluten/gluten contamination, but also hygiene issues given that celiacs all have a leaky gut.

that is not true.  not all celiacs have a leaky gut. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

I was thinking about this thread when I went out to eat and had a sweet potato!! I made sure they knew I was Celiac and could not have any Flour or anything! My steak or my sweet potato! I say no to the brown sugar lol ... Just a lil freaky going out to eat after trying to be so picky about everything.

Archived