8 replies to this topic

#1 Porcelina

Porcelina

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Is that possible? I'm getting this crazy itchy, red and blotchy rash on my jawline and cheek area. Its starting to peel and just looks disgusting.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Yup.

I haven't officially been DXd with DH, but I'm 99% positive that's what it is. I've had it since childhood. It's maddening - both itchy and painful.

I often get it on my neck right up near the hairline in the back (that's where I always got it when I was a child and teen) but now I also get it on my face at times. Sometimes I get it on my back and once in a very blue moon, my upper arms.

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#3 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hairline behind ears and in the back here.

By the way, Hidradenitis suppurativa is gluten-related too. But there probably has been no reseach verifying this.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#4 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi again, I think DH mainly appears around the neck and scull area in the upper body, but I have seen photos of a lady in the celiac.com photo bank who had it in the face I think.... Especially during the second part of the challenge ( w 5- 9) I also constantly had herpes-like ulcers in and around my mouth.. Charming!! But I get something like DH on my upper back legs ... For years I though I was getting chicken pocks constantly...

#5 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

There are also some posting on DH forums who have i inside the mouth. Ouch.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#6 mendylou

mendylou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Yup.

I haven't officially been DXd with DH, but I'm 99% positive that's what it is. I've had it since childhood. It's maddening - both itchy and painful.

I often get it on my neck right up near the hairline in the back (that's where I always got it when I was a child and teen) but now I also get it on my face at times. Sometimes I get it on my back and once in a very blue moon, my upper arms.

It seems to me that my DH usually affects the same area over and over and everyone is different as to their most sensitive areas.  Mine does affect the hairline, around my lips, on chin; but my worst breakout areas are from elbows thru upper arms across my upper back and my buttocks and the backs of my upper legs. I recently visited my son and of course we ate out which I rarely do due to CC. Of course I was assured it was gluten free but you know that is never 100% true.  I am going thru a terrible breakout right now.  By the way I have been gluten free for 3 years and as time goes on the littlest bit of gluten causes a DH outbreak. For me It takes a long time to clear up.

#7 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

It seems to me that my DH usually affects the same area over and over and everyone is different as to their most sensitive areas.  Mine does affect the hairline, around my lips, on chin; but my worst breakout areas are from elbows thru upper arms across my upper back and my buttocks and the backs of my upper legs. I recently visited my son and of course we ate out which I rarely do due to CC. Of course I was assured it was gluten free but you know that is never 100% true.  I am going thru a terrible breakout right now.  By the way I have been gluten free for 3 years and as time goes on the littlest bit of gluten causes a DH outbreak. For me It takes a long time to clear up.

For me, too. I've actually had DH lesions last a couple of months on occasion. Typically, though, they last about a week.

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#8 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

There are also some posting on DH forums who have i inside the mouth. Ouch.

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me, I actually get them inside my mouth too, especially all over my front and middle palate... Extremely painful when eating...

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

DH can present anywhere on the body. Just ask me. I've had it everywhere except mucus membranes. Bottom of my feet, hands, fingers, upper legs, lower legs, knees, elbows, neck, scalp, in my ears, in my belly button, on my nipples, collar bone, chest, breasts, stomach & pubic area, shoulders, any area of the back, any area of the arms, armpits, ankles, toes, upper feet & some on my face.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: