14 replies to this topic

#1 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

There was an old post on this. Apparently, the squares are made on the same line as one square that has barley malt in it. However, the company cleans the machines and throws away the first two batches. So....do you think it's safe?

I won't be heartbroken if it's not, but if it is I have a gift in my kitchen that will find its way into my stomach very soon  B)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

Gemini and I have both eaten them and I'm alive and kicking. 

Last I checked, about 2 minutes ago via email, she was too.  :lol:

Yo, GEM...are you still cool with Ghirardelli? ( let's see if she heard me..........)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

Ok, I'm not Gem but I do love the squares and I have  no problems with them :D

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

this is new:

http://www.ghirardel...ce-20121001.pdf

Not sure if throwing out chocolate is true.  Looks like most candy is made on shared equipment so you can choose for your self.  Looks like almost everything they make is gluten free.  I will still eat them.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'm still alive....maybe a few pounds heavier today but alive and WELL!   ;)

Ghirardelli chocolates are safe, Wintersong. I promise I would not lie to you.  I eat WAYYYYYYYYYY too many of these on a yearly basis for them not to be. I really am quite sensitive yet ingest too many of these and am perfectly fine. No hints of tummy distress ever.  They are one of a few chocolate brands I eat.  All the rest I had to give up except Ghirardelli.   The peppermint/dark chocolate and the caramel/dark chocolate are downright addictive but the little squares are such a perfect serving size....eat them without guilt!      :)

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

I eat Ghiradelli when I'm slumming it. It's also my preference for chocolate chips and baking chocolate. I've never had problems with it and for as long as my husband acts like he's dying every time I buy a $10 chocolate bar I suppose I'll keep eating Ghiradelli. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Good news! I know what I'll be doing tonight when I get home : D

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

It looks like the only gluten thing their equipment also processes is the chocolate with the crispy rice in it, which would be crisped rice with barley malt, I think. That's gotta be such a tiny amount, just to start with in the rice, that I wouldn't think that could really carry over to other flavors. On the rare occasion I eat chocolate (not doing that voluntarily btw..... :angry: ) I stick to Endangered Species because I might as well splurge if it's only once a month lol ;)  so I can't tell you if I react to Ghirardelli, but I'd say they're safe (except the crisp-y flavors obviously).

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just at the store to pick up more Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and the company has these new 8 oz pouches rather than the old container with a lid. This is the 100% unsweetened cocoa premium baking cocoa. On the back it says "May contain tree nuts, WHEAT, soy, dairy and egg"

Where did this wheat come from?!?!?!

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

http://www.ghirardel...rgy-information

Here is the allergy information from Ghirardelli.  Not everything is made in the same facility, from what I can gather. The only product listed that has any reference to wheat are the classic white chips.  Everything else does not, even the cocoa powder, according to their website. I am not aware of a Ghirardelli crispy rice chocolate bar so I am not even sure if they make one. I do not use their cocoa powder so have no idea, other than a shared facility with the white chips, of why it would be marked that way. On their website, that cocoa powder is listed as not containing wheat or being processed in the same facility as wheat, which makes this a little confusing.  

As far as their chocolates are concerned, they are completely safe and I would recommend them to any sensitive Celiac.  As for the cocoa powder, give them a call and ask.

#11 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

this is new:

http://www.ghirardel...ce-20121001.pdf

Not sure if throwing out chocolate is true.  Looks like most candy is made on shared equipment so you can choose for your self.  Looks like almost everything they make is gluten free.  I will still eat them.

http://www.ghirardel...rgy-information

Here is the allergy information from Ghirardelli.  Not everything is made in the same facility, from what I can gather. The only product listed that has any reference to wheat are the classic white chips.  Everything else does not, even the cocoa powder, according to their website. I am not aware of a Ghirardelli crispy rice chocolate bar so I am not even sure if they make one. I do not use their cocoa powder so have no idea, other than a shared facility with the white chips, of why it would be marked that way. On their website, that cocoa powder is listed as not containing wheat or being processed in the same facility as wheat, which makes this a little confusing.  

As far as their chocolates are concerned, they are completely safe and I would recommend them to any sensitive Celiac.  As for the cocoa powder, give them a call and ask.

Odd that they would have 2 different allergy lists on their website.  The one I posted, above, is new - I hadn't seen it before.  In the past, I had only seen the the one you posted. 

We bought a multi-pack of flavors in San Francisco  and the hazelnut crunch was in it but I don't think it is very common.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Yes, it is strange they have 2 allergy statements.  I still trust them as a company for the simple reason I have never gotten sick from their chocolates that I researched to be safe.  Namely, those devilishly good little squares. If there was even trace gluten in them, from the amount I ingest on a monthly basis,

I would be sick again. I do not eat the white chocolate because white chocolate usually contains barley malt as a flavoring. Not sure if Ghirardelli uses barley malt but I know many companies do so I stay away from it.

I still consider Ghirardelli to be one of the safest chocolates out there. Many Celiacs I know eat them with no problems whatsoever and these are very sensitive Celiacs. 

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

They better be okay, I've got a mouthful of the caramel one right now and mmmfff  mfs ..yum.

We have an old-fashioned advent box with pics of antique Santas painted on the  little  cubby holes of December days.

yes, we "count down"

to Christmas ....so  I fill them with treats.

What can I say? the hubs and I are Christmas fools.  :D 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Can't swear it's safe, but I eat the dark chocolate ones all the time.

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Can't swear it's safe, but I eat the dark chocolate ones all the time.

How could you not think them safe when you eat them all the time?  Welcome to Ghiraddiction.......   ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: