This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Millet Flour

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

I was reading somewhere about Millet Flour being very good for you.Open Original Shared Link  But isn't that the lil round things in bird seed? I love to run my hands thru it :) Does anyone here cook with Millet Flour? Just curious as to what you can make with it. Do you mix it with other flours? Anyone like it? Dislike it? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I use it. I just buy millet and throw it in my blender as I need flour. I also have a flatbread recipe that uses rice, millet and something else maybe, and I just soak it all together then blend it. One of my waffle recipes uses it. I don't even know how many other things. I love it. I also love that I can buy a bag of BRM millet for three bucks and change so I'm not going bankrupt on flour like some of the others that I use.

KCG91 Enthusiast

When I lived in Kenya my mama used to feed us millet porridge if we were ill = ultimate comfort food! Make it with water (make a paste first, then gradually add hot water until it's the consistency you want) and eat with sugar or lemon or butter :) I also used the flakes to make porridge when I was first diagnosed but thought they had a weird, bitter flavour and a funny texture. 

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If you have thyroid problems you might want to look into this: Open Original Shared Link

"millets are also a mild Open Original Shared Link inhibitor and probably should not be consumed in great quantities by those with Open Original Shared Link."

I don't have thyroid probs, or But I may try and see if Kroger has it. :) looks like it has alot of vitamins. 

MGR Apprentice

I don't like gluten free bread very much- however, I use millet to make flatbreads with my waffle maker- I soak the grains and then blend them, mix and egg into it and kefir yoghourt a pinch of salt and spoon the mixture onto my waffle maker.- just for a change i also do this with mung beans, yellow Dahl lentis, gram flower

TY I did buy a mix with some Quinoa and something eles at Whole Foods. I was so excited!! But I got it home and it is not Gluten free!! Arggg I have to read it again. Maby call the company. If all eles fails give it to my vegetarian Daughter. Sighhhh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MGR Apprentice

TY I did buy a mix with some Quinoa and something eles at Whole Foods. I was so excited!! But I got it home and it is not Gluten free!! Arggg I have to read it again. Maby call the company. If all eles fails give it to my vegetarian Daughter. Sighhhh

I know, I also constantly forget to read the label, or even worse, forget my glasses!!

kenlove Rising Star

millets are very common in INdia  (Ragi) -- Ragi roti ( kind of flat bread) is  very good.  In Japan there are  millets used instead of rice in some  areas and in   ancient recipes.  Awa, Kibi and Hiya are found in Japanese  groceries and also very good. I make them in a  rice  cooker instead of rice or mill them into a flour. If your in a city  that  has an indian grocery you can  usually find  ragi flour. also chana or chick pea flour too. 

I was reading somewhere about Millet Flour being very good for you.Open Original Shared Link  But isn't that the lil round things in bird seed? I love to run my hands thru it :) Does anyone here cook with Millet Flour? Just curious as to what you can make with it. Do you mix it with other flours? Anyone like it? Dislike it? 

Adalaide Mentor

millets are very common in INdia  (Ragi) -- Ragi roti ( kind of flat bread) is  very good.  In Japan there are  millets used instead of rice in some  areas and in   ancient recipes.  Awa, Kibi and Hiya are found in Japanese  groceries and also very good. I make them in a  rice  cooker instead of rice or mill them into a flour. If your in a city  that  has an indian grocery you can  usually find  ragi flour. also chana or chick pea flour too. 

You always have the most wonderful little nuggets of random information that I find insanely useful! Ragi roti sounds wonderful and I'd never heard of it. Thanks!

mamaw Community Regular

I must  be the only one  who  gets an aftertaste  from  bread  loaded  with millet...I do use  little millet  blended  with  other  flours... It  is  a good food  source....so I try to use  a  little.. But  mostly  what  some  find  is  that  much  of the millet  is CC...

I  suggest  looking  for  a  better  brand  of  millet that has less CC.. Cheaper  products  isn't always  the  best  for us....

And, yes  millet  is in bird food!!!  Don't use  that one!!!!!

kenlove Rising Star

Oh Thanks much! -- They  have this wonderful red millet in INdia too.  My chef buddy always makes me a care pack of  this roti to  eat on the plane home.

You always have the most wonderful little nuggets of random information that I find insanely useful! Ragi roti sounds wonderful and I'd never heard of it. Thanks!

kenlove Rising Star

try to find an indian or japanese market -- or one of the superstores which has things  form  every country.  I'm pretty sensitive buyt  never had trouble with millets from India or japan.  Sorghum is another story. I'll  only get that in Japan now.  got pretty sick from US ones.

I must  be the only one  who  gets an aftertaste  from  bread  loaded  with millet...I do use  little millet  blended  with  other  flours... It  is  a good food  source....so I try to use  a  little.. But  mostly  what  some  find  is  that  much  of the millet  is CC...

I  suggest  looking  for  a  better  brand  of  millet that has less CC.. Cheaper  products  isn't always  the  best  for us....

And, yes  millet  is in bird food!!!  Don't use  that one!!!!!

Adalaide Mentor

I did notice in videos that the millet is a different color. Does the red one taste different? Maybe I need to internet shop... <_<

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Ken

Thanks  I'll check that out... I'm in  small town USA  ... Glad  you are still out & about.

happy holidays

kenlove Rising Star

I think the  red one is a little richer and nuttier type taste. I like them both and have used the red instead of quinoa in other  meals as its much smaller and gives a different  texture - more like a breakfast  cereal 

I did notice in videos that the millet is a different color. Does the red one taste different? Maybe I need to internet shop... <_<

kenlove Rising Star

thanks much --  still out for now but getting a full knee replacement next week.

hope you have a great holidays too -- although  holidaze is how i usually spell it :rolleyes:

Hi Ken

Thanks  I'll check that out... I'm in  small town USA  ... Glad  you are still out & about.

happy holidays

thanks much --  still out for now but getting a full knee replacement next week.

hope you have a great holidays too -- although  holidaze is how i usually spell it :rolleyes:

Good Luck on your knee replacement!

kenlove Rising Star

thanks a bunch!

Good Luck on your knee replacement!

Well I have not gotten any millet as of yet. Let me re state that! I cannot use the Millet I got lol It is not gluten-free! Ughh tick myself off!! So I will go back to the store (when I have time) and get me some gluten-free millet! I really cannot wait to try it! 

kenlove Rising Star

what does it say on the label or is it blend or cross contamination?

Well I have not gotten any millet as of yet. Let me re state that! I cannot use the Millet I got lol It is not gluten-free! Ughh tick myself off!! So I will go back to the store (when I have time) and get me some gluten-free millet! I really cannot wait to try it! 

It is a blend it is "365 everyday Value" " Organic Super Grains " A blend of White and red Quinoa Millet and Buckwheat. I cannot believe I actually bought it. What was I thinking? I am just glad I read the labels better when I get home before I cook it!! I don't mind I buy the stuff. I would If I actually ate it!! Ughhh ohhh well! I looked it up and they are more Organic than anything so no I am not going to eat it.

gary'sgirl Explorer

It is a blend it is "365 everyday Value" " Organic Super Grains " A blend of White and red Quinoa Millet and Buckwheat. I cannot believe I actually bought it. What was I thinking? I am just glad I read the labels better when I get home before I cook it!! I don't mind I buy the stuff. I would If I actually ate it!! Ughhh ohhh well! I looked it up and they are more Organic than anything so no I am not going to eat it.

Hey there!

Just wanted to point out that "Buchwheat" is not actually "Wheat" and it IS a gluten free grain. :) I wasn't sure if you knew that or not - the name makes it pretty confusing. I'm not sure how safe the "365 everyday value" brand is as far as CC though.

Hope you find the right thing soon!!

kenlove Rising Star

By law in the US if there is wheat in the mix, it has to say so on the label. Buckwheat is Soba in japan -- juwari soba is 100% but all other which is about 87% of the soba in Japan is mixed with wheat  in different percentages.  There is no guarantee when a company buys a tn of sobako or buckwheat flour that it is 100% -- it could have very well been mixt with anywhere from 10 to 60% wheat.  On consumer items  an ingredient list is required but not always on wholesale.  In this  case it could be cross contamination too.

good luck

kareng Grand Master

What did the label say that concerned you?  Do they actually add wheat to this?  At least they labelled the wheat in the ingredients.

Looked this up and it looks like the ingredients are :  Organic White Quinoa, organic millet, organic red quinoa, Organic buckwheat

I don't see any problem there.

Archived