16 replies to this topic

#1 mshanson3121

mshanson3121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

I was looking at chocolates for the kids Christmas stockings. Now, the ingredients are:

Milk chocolate (chocolate, skim milk, cane sugar, cocoa butter, milk powder, organic blue agave, inulin, soy lecithin, vanilla extract), cane sugar, calcium carbonate, colored with purple cabbage juice, beetroot juice, annatto extract, turmeric extract) gum arabic, vanilla extract, carnauba wax & beeswax

So, no flour that I can see. However, on the packaging it does say "May Contain Wheat".  So, would they be okay, or should we not get them on the chance, that there was cross-contamination?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

personally for me if I see "may contain wheat" on the package, it goes right back on the shelf :)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

If it says "may contain wheat" I don't eat them.  I remember someone recently asking a company that said that on the packaging and finding out that, for that company , it was a bit of overkill.  They didn't test for gluten and made something with gluten in the same facility?  Something like that.  So, I guess, if I really wanted the product, I might email the company and see why they put that disclaimer.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

"may contain wheat" is a deal breaker for me.

IMHO that "may" make me pretty sick.... why risk it? Plenty of other candies to choose from.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

That's a no go for me, too. We also don't use products made in shared facilities (unless they sanitize all lines before the wheat is thrown in - yes, I contact companies about this). My youngest isn't verbal enough to let us know she's been glutened...other than lots and lots of crying.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

For some companies "may contain" is used the same way that others place "manufactured in the same facility as" or "on the same equipment as" so if it is something I really want, I call or email them. If I feel comfortable with their practices after that I'll buy it, if not it stays off limits. But 99% of the time, it's straight back on the shelf for me.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 mshanson3121

mshanson3121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Well, I got ahold of the company, and it's what PP said ^^ they have a plant that manufacture's wheat products as well, so there could be trace airborne amounts. They do batch samplings however, and have never tested higher than 5 parts per million, and the threshold for the legal label of gluten free is 20 parts per million.

For that, I'll admit, I'm tempted to try the stuff. It'd be so nice to have good chocolate candy that are GMO, preservative, artificial color, flavors etc... free.

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Well, I got ahold of the company, and it's what PP said ^^ they have a plant that manufacture's wheat products as well, so there could be trace airborne amounts. They do batch samplings however, and have never tested higher than 5 parts per million, and the threshold for the legal label of gluten free is 20 parts per million.

For that, I'll admit, I'm tempted to try the stuff. It'd be so nice to have good chocolate candy that are GMO, preservative, artificial color, flavors etc... free.

So...what brand are they? Sounds like they would be great.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 mshanson3121

mshanson3121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Unreal Chocolates. They make the "real" equivalent of Smarties, Peanut M&Ms, Snickers, Mars and Peanut Butter Cups. Amazon and Vitacost carry them, as well as some other places I believe.

#10 mshanson3121

mshanson3121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

kareng... I just noticed your picture!!! We're HUGE Chiefs fans here!!!

#11 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I checked out their website - they look awesome!! I simply love the idea of non-GMO candy!

Have you tried them already?

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've seen their candies in the store a few times but always just passed it by. I'll have to get some the next time I see it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

kareng... I just noticed your picture!!! We're HUGE Chiefs fans here!!!

I'm in KC. are you?

santa-dance.gif

#14 mshanson3121

mshanson3121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

africanqueen... No, I haven't tried them yet, but talked to a few that have and they say they're delicious!

kareng... LOL. No, far from it. We're in New Brunswick, Canada! My husband is a huge football fan, and started cheering for the Chiefs back in the Montana days. He's stuck with them ever since. We flew out to KC for a game several years back - LOVED the city, beautiful architecture, the statues, fountains. Can't wait to go back.

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

africanqueen... No, I haven't tried them yet, but talked to a few that have and they say they're delicious!

kareng... LOL. No, far from it. We're in New Brunswick, Canada! My husband is a huge football fan, and started cheering for the Chiefs back in the Montana days. He's stuck with them ever since. We flew out to KC for a game several years back - LOVED the city, beautiful architecture, the statues, fountains. Can't wait to go back.

Are the games broadcast there?  I can't believe you came all the way for a football game!  If you come again, let me know.  I can help you find food and other things to do.  We now have an indoor Lego Land, and an aquarium, exhibits from the National History Museum, a great soccer team, art gallery, etc.

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: