This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rotisserie Chickens

CeeLeighacLady

CeeLeighacLady Newbie

Has anyone had any problems with this chicken? It's labeled gluten free. I have had their plain chicken breasts before and they are really good. Yesterday I was running a bunch of errands and didn't have time to get home to make dinner, so I decided to pick up a whole rotisserie chicken at BJ's. It's made by Harvestland and labeled Gluten Free (as well as hormone/antibiotic free). It doesn't have any soy ingredients either, just seasonings. Anyway I ate some last night with some steamed veggies and got a headache. I thought it was just because I had eaten so late (usually I get a headache when I go without eating too long). But today for lunch I had some leftover chicken shredded with some plain rice and I immediately got a headache. The headache last night went away after about an hour and I don't seem to have any glutening symptoms, but I need to know if this was the chicken or just a coincidence. I was planning on making some chicken tortilla soup with the rest of the leftovers.

Does anyone have any comments on Bj's / Costco or Big Y Rotisserie Chickens?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This might look a bit weird, this was originally posted on an old topic about a specific brand of chicken. I thought we could start with new, fresh chicken info! :)

I have heard that the Costco chicken is gluten-free. I think lots of people on here get it - maybe they will chime or cluck about it?

mamaw Community Regular

Here's  my  cluck.......

Costco's &  Sam's have gluten-free  rotisserie chickens... We  don't  care for  Sam's  but  love  Costco's.....Almost  every  food/grocery  store  has  rotisserie  chicks  but  I  have  found  many  are   not  gluten-free.....By the  way  these make  awesome  chicken pot  pie......

Adalaide Mentor

I rarely, if ever, leave Costco without a rotisserie chicken. They are the same price (if not cheaper) than a whole, uncooked chicken and all I have to do is bring it home and eat it. I'm usually at Costco every two weeks or so. They're far better than the ones from any other local store that I've tried, and a buck or two cheaper too.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have eaten both Rotisserie chicken offerings from BJs. No problems whatsoever.

They are Purdue brand and another brand (whose name escapes now but I'll look it up and get back to you)

We own a counter top rotisserie, but it's a giant pain in the cluck to clean and sometimes, I am a lazy bones.

This way is a whole lot easier. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

PS your name.... "CeeLeighacLady" is very clever. 

Adalaide Mentor

I used to own one of those counter top rotisserie thingies. Best. Thing. Ever. I used it probably twice a week. My stupid ex has it now and I still want to replace it. (When it won't turn into an angry MIL over how there isn't room in the kitchen for it.) To be honest though I doubt I would ever use such a thing for chickens. It is still cheaper to buy an already roasted chicken than to buy a fresh one. They make amazingly wonderful rare beef roasts though, and are great for sausages. Great... now I want it right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
Celtic Queen Explorer

Just wanted to add that Kroger's rotisserie chickens are not gluten free.  Which is really unfortunate for me since Kroger is super close to my house but Sam's and Costco aren't. 

larry mac Enthusiast

I've bought Kroger rotisserie chickens before. Don't recall any gluten ingredients. Did I miss something?

best regards, larry mac

Adalaide Mentor

Smith's is a Kroger family store. While I can't speak for other Kroger family stores, the last time I looked at a Smith's brand rotisserie chicken they were safe. It has been some months though because it's just plain cheaper for me to get them at Costco.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I live in west bum-#($* Arkansas and Walmart is about all we have. They have a disclaimer on their rotisserie chicken thingy so I never buy it. I do buy it sometimes from our smaller Harps grocery. Funny... I never make it home w/ 2 drumsticks on it... one flies off and into my hand on the way home!

• 2 weeks later...
larry mac Enthusiast

Happened to in Kroger and remembered this thread. So I checked and there weren't any gluten ingredients in their rotisserie chickens. 

Same for Walmart. Walmart rotisserie chickens used to have bread crumbs in the rub, but that was years ago. We practically live on those Walmart chickens. Ours doesn't have any disclaimers on the rotisserie chicken "thingy". Would that be the cooker, or the hot kiosk? lol.

best regards, larry mac

notme Experienced

kroger - i was more put off by the fact that they are cooked in the bakery section - when i get deli meat i have to remind the counter person to please change your gloves before you slice my deli meat  :)  because they dumb  :)

GF Lover Rising Star

I eat Kroger Rotisserie Chickens all the time with no issues.  Like the Cow's say, "Eat Mor Chiken"

Colleen

LauraTX Rising Star

I never even thought to look at rotisserie chickens, I always assumed they were unsafe.  I will have to grab one next time I am at sams :)  I like to cook a whole chicken and eat the legs/wings for dinner that night, and chop up and save the rest of the meat for casseroles.  Already cooked would make it MUCH easier!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Publix chicken is gluten free (located in the South). I usually purchase chicken from Costco. It is our new "fast food".

• 4 months later...
mitso874 Newbie

I just bought Kroger's roasted chicken last week and became extremely ill. I called their head quarters and was told the chicken is gluten free when they send it to the stores, but it's up to each store on how they're prepared/cooked. I called my local store to find out and could not get a straight answer from them. Two people told me it was not gluten free because "it has yeast in it" or because "it's not organic" and one person told me it is gluten free because "it's baked"... soooo... they obviously don't know what gluten is, and whenever I tried to explain it to them they would pass me off to another employee to talk to. After throwing up and having really bad stomach/chest/head pains, fatigue, and poop problems for the last 6 days and no sign of it getting better soon (while my boyfriend, dog, and cat who also ate the chicken were fine), I've come to the conclusion that my local Kroger store (Fry's) is NOT gluten free. I really wish stores/restaurants forced gluten education on their food handling employees.

• 2 months later...
jlkrn Newbie

I purchased a Kroger rotisserie chicken for a pot-luck at work and became violently ill and ended up in ER with an anaphylatic reaction. I did not indulge in anything else that would have potentially caused this. I am not super sensitive to gluten and generally don't have major issues but this is one chicken that I do not plan to ever purchase in the future. Just my two cents.

SMRI Collaborator

I bought a toaster over that has a rotisserie option.  I've made one chicken so far--sure was tasty!!!!  I'm going to try doing a beef roast, probably tomorrow, and see how that goes on there.  It's kind of a pain to get the meat on the spit, but I need to buy some cooking twine and that will help. 

psawyer Proficient

I purchased a Kroger rotisserie chicken for a pot-luck at work and became violently ill and ended up in ER with an anaphylatic reaction. I did not indulge in anything else that would have potentially caused this. I am not super sensitive to gluten and generally don't have major issues but this is one chicken that I do not plan to ever purchase in the future. Just my two cents.

Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction, not celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
lovegrov Collaborator

If you're not super sensitive then there's no way you'd have had an anaphylactic reaction, which as Peter mentions is an allergic reaction anyway.

I eat Kroger baked chicken nearly every week for lunch and have never had an obvious reaction to it. And I DO have an obvious reaction (throwing up) to gluten.

richard

• 1 year later...
AnaCO Newbie

It looks like the ingredients and cross-contamination varies locally. I just stumbled accross this thread because I'm definitely having a "gluten-reaction" (migrane) after eating King Soopers' (Kroger) rotisserie chicken. I just checked with my son, who's also celiac, and he told me he had a terrible stomachache last night. The culprit is the King Soopers' chicken for sure. I read the ingredients before I bought it, and was just concerned about the number of ingredients (30+, why??). I thought it was safe, but for sure it was not. So, I'm sure it varies from store to store.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, AnaCO said:

It looks like the ingredients and cross-contamination varies locally. I just stumbled accross this thread because I'm definitely having a "gluten-reaction" (migrane) after eating King Soopers' (Kroger) rotisserie chicken. I just checked with my son, who's also celiac, and he told me he had a terrible stomachache last night. The culprit is the King Soopers' chicken for sure. I read the ingredients before I bought it, and was just concerned about the number of ingredients (30+, why??). I thought it was safe, but for sure it was not. So, I'm sure it varies from store to store.

I think in a small grocery store, there is always a risk of cross contamination.  So, you were right, it does vary by store.  The risk is even less for the Costco chicken in my opinion.  I have grilled the "chicken guy" at Costco twice.  He brings in the chickens that are seasoned from their supplier.  He unloads them into a dedicated sink.  Then he places them on the giant spits and loads them into the ovens.  He never assists the folks using leftover chicken preparing chicken salad, chicken roll-ups.  He just tends to the chickens all day long!  So, the risk for contamination is very low.  

I ate one last night with my hubby.  I feel this is  a safe "fast food" and am fortunate that Costco is just three miles away!  I am at Costco twice a week!  I make chicken soup, chicken ala King, chicken salad, sliced chicken on a bed of greens, chicken enchiladas, whatever using those chickens.  For $5 the price can not be beat!  

I hope you and your son feel better soon! 

mbrookes Community Regular

Wish we had a Costco. The chickens I get at Sam's are really good, and as others have said, cheaper than buying a raw one. I have never had trouble from eating the chicken and I eat it in one form or another for three days when I buy one. They are huge. Reminds me of Dorothy Parker's saying "The definition of infinity is two people and a ham".

Archived