20 replies to this topic

#1 CeeLeighacLady

CeeLeighacLady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

Has anyone had any problems with this chicken? It's labeled gluten free. I have had their plain chicken breasts before and they are really good. Yesterday I was running a bunch of errands and didn't have time to get home to make dinner, so I decided to pick up a whole rotisserie chicken at BJ's. It's made by Harvestland and labeled Gluten Free (as well as hormone/antibiotic free). It doesn't have any soy ingredients either, just seasonings. Anyway I ate some last night with some steamed veggies and got a headache. I thought it was just because I had eaten so late (usually I get a headache when I go without eating too long). But today for lunch I had some leftover chicken shredded with some plain rice and I immediately got a headache. The headache last night went away after about an hour and I don't seem to have any glutening symptoms, but I need to know if this was the chicken or just a coincidence. I was planning on making some chicken tortilla soup with the rest of the leftovers.

Does anyone have any comments on Bj's / Costco or Big Y Rotisserie Chickens?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

This might look a bit weird, this was originally posted on an old topic about a specific brand of chicken. I thought we could start with new, fresh chicken info! :)

I have heard that the Costco chicken is gluten-free. I think lots of people on here get it - maybe they will chime or cluck about it?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Here's  my  cluck.......

Costco's &  Sam's have gluten-free  rotisserie chickens... We  don't  care for  Sam's  but  love  Costco's.....Almost  every  food/grocery  store  has  rotisserie  chicks  but  I  have  found  many  are   not  gluten-free.....By the  way  these make  awesome  chicken pot  pie......

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

I rarely, if ever, leave Costco without a rotisserie chicken. They are the same price (if not cheaper) than a whole, uncooked chicken and all I have to do is bring it home and eat it. I'm usually at Costco every two weeks or so. They're far better than the ones from any other local store that I've tried, and a buck or two cheaper too.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

I have eaten both Rotisserie chicken offerings from BJs. No problems whatsoever.

They are Purdue brand and another brand (whose name escapes now but I'll look it up and get back to you)

We own a counter top rotisserie, but it's a giant pain in the cluck to clean and sometimes, I am a lazy bones.

This way is a whole lot easier. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

PS your name.... "CeeLeighacLady" is very clever. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

I used to own one of those counter top rotisserie thingies. Best. Thing. Ever. I used it probably twice a week. My stupid ex has it now and I still want to replace it. (When it won't turn into an angry MIL over how there isn't room in the kitchen for it.) To be honest though I doubt I would ever use such a thing for chickens. It is still cheaper to buy an already roasted chicken than to buy a fresh one. They make amazingly wonderful rare beef roasts though, and are great for sausages. Great... now I want it right now.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Just wanted to add that Kroger's rotisserie chickens are not gluten free.  Which is really unfortunate for me since Kroger is super close to my house but Sam's and Costco aren't. 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

I've bought Kroger rotisserie chickens before. Don't recall any gluten ingredients. Did I miss something?

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Smith's is a Kroger family store. While I can't speak for other Kroger family stores, the last time I looked at a Smith's brand rotisserie chicken they were safe. It has been some months though because it's just plain cheaper for me to get them at Costco.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I live in west bum-#($* Arkansas and Walmart is about all we have. They have a disclaimer on their rotisserie chicken thingy so I never buy it. I do buy it sometimes from our smaller Harps grocery. Funny... I never make it home w/ 2 drumsticks on it... one flies off and into my hand on the way home!

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Happened to in Kroger and remembered this thread. So I checked and there weren't any gluten ingredients in their rotisserie chickens. 

Same for Walmart. Walmart rotisserie chickens used to have bread crumbs in the rub, but that was years ago. We practically live on those Walmart chickens. Ours doesn't have any disclaimers on the rotisserie chicken "thingy". Would that be the cooker, or the hot kiosk? lol.

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

kroger - i was more put off by the fact that they are cooked in the bakery section - when i get deli meat i have to remind the counter person to please change your gloves before you slice my deli meat  :)  because they dumb  :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I eat Kroger Rotisserie Chickens all the time with no issues.  Like the Cow's say, "Eat Mor Chiken"

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I never even thought to look at rotisserie chickens, I always assumed they were unsafe.  I will have to grab one next time I am at sams :)  I like to cook a whole chicken and eat the legs/wings for dinner that night, and chop up and save the rest of the meat for casseroles.  Already cooked would make it MUCH easier!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: