20 replies to this topic

#16 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Publix chicken is gluten free (located in the South). I usually purchase chicken from Costco. It is our new "fast food".
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mitso874

mitso874

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I just bought Kroger's roasted chicken last week and became extremely ill. I called their head quarters and was told the chicken is gluten free when they send it to the stores, but it's up to each store on how they're prepared/cooked. I called my local store to find out and could not get a straight answer from them. Two people told me it was not gluten free because "it has yeast in it" or because "it's not organic" and one person told me it is gluten free because "it's baked"... soooo... they obviously don't know what gluten is, and whenever I tried to explain it to them they would pass me off to another employee to talk to. After throwing up and having really bad stomach/chest/head pains, fatigue, and poop problems for the last 6 days and no sign of it getting better soon (while my boyfriend, dog, and cat who also ate the chicken were fine), I've come to the conclusion that my local Kroger store (Fry's) is NOT gluten free. I really wish stores/restaurants forced gluten education on their food handling employees.

#18 jlkrn

jlkrn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

I purchased a Kroger rotisserie chicken for a pot-luck at work and became violently ill and ended up in ER with an anaphylatic reaction. I did not indulge in anything else that would have potentially caused this. I am not super sensitive to gluten and generally don't have major issues but this is one chicken that I do not plan to ever purchase in the future. Just my two cents.

#19 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

I bought a toaster over that has a rotisserie option.  I've made one chicken so far--sure was tasty!!!!  I'm going to try doing a beef roast, probably tomorrow, and see how that goes on there.  It's kind of a pain to get the meat on the spit, but I need to buy some cooking twine and that will help. 

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

I purchased a Kroger rotisserie chicken for a pot-luck at work and became violently ill and ended up in ER with an [b]anaphylatic reaction[b]. I did not indulge in anything else that would have potentially caused this. I am not super sensitive to gluten and generally don't have major issues but this is one chicken that I do not plan to ever purchase in the future. Just my two cents.

Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction, not celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

I purchased a Kroger rotisserie chicken for a pot-luck at work and became violently ill and ended up in ER with an anaphylatic reaction. I did not indulge in anything else that would have potentially caused this. I am not super sensitive to gluten and generally don't have major issues but this is one chicken that I do not plan to ever purchase in the future. Just my two cents.

If you're not super sensitive then there's no way you'd have had an anaphylactic reaction, which as Peter mentions is an allergic reaction anyway.

I eat Kroger baked chicken nearly every week for lunch and have never had an obvious reaction to it. And I DO have an obvious reaction (throwing up) to gluten.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: