142 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

This morning I was thinking... I should write a book about all the ridiculous conversations I've had with people about gluten free diet, etc. I'll bet there are lots of stories out there... let's share. Laughing is a good way to cope, right?

So I told my coworker (who is also my aunt) that gluten-free diet cleared up my daily migraines (she has migraines often as well). Her response: "well I know that isn't the problem because Aunt F has celiac and she still gets migraines even though she's gluten-free". Sigh. Ok...

Here's another one:

LL: did I hear you are wheat free?

Me: yes. Well, I'm gluten-free, which is wheat free.

LL: Well, not all wheat has gluten.

Me: it does...

LL: No, there's this unaltered strain of wheat that some amish farmer in NY has.

Me: Ok, well I don't have access to that, so I'm wheat free. 

LL: *goes on to discuss just starting wheat free and seeing a big difference, and using coconut wheat (?!?) as a substitution*

Me: Well that's good. So wheat is definitely a problem for you, huh?
LL: For sure. I ate pizza all weekend and I'm paying the price now!

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

OMG I cannot even think about eating Pizza all weekend!! I make Hubbs cook his own pizza! Lol 

Thats like my Daughter telling me she went Gluten free.. About a month later I asked he if she was still Gluten free she said yes. One day she was coming over and was taking a while. I texted her and asked what the hold up was, she said she had to take the kids to lunch they were hungry. I say really? Where did you go? She said  "Panara" <-spelling sorry     ?????? I didn't say a word...  She is Gluten free when she wants to be. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#3 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Many people are that way especially once they discover this way of life isn't as easy as it sounded!. 

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

O MY GAWD YOU CAN'T EAT ANYTHING!!!  yes i can - just not the crap you're eating............ <_<

i love the "i think i have that" people, who, as soon as they hear how strict you need to be, abandon the idea that they could have a problem.  "oh.  i don't have *that* - that's too hard."  oh, brrrrotherrrrr  :rolleyes:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Right? I HATE when people are like, "oh, I couldn't do that!" Yes, yes you could, if your health depended on it, and if you felt miserable for a week after eating a cracker. My 2nd most hated comment is, "that's so expensive, though!" Ok, well, forgetting the halthcare and medication required to NOT be gluten-free, may I remind you that rice is cheap, fruits & veggies & meat don't cost more than what you pay... it's only expensive if you buy the gluten-free versions of food that has gluten in it. And not being able to eat at resturants sure saves ME a lot of money!

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

My friend has Crohns she told me. I don't know how you can just say to your self you have to stop eating all that stuff and do it!! I said "if it ment stoping all or most of your symptoms you would do what you have to do" She said "I am not so sure I could do it"  What ever!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Its now entertaining to me that "others" think they are somehow eating better food than I am.  Not true.  You had a combo from Wendy's on the way home from work?  You're right, I'm missing out.... Or not...

Diagnosis 11/2012

#8 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

This thread is great! Being a newb at this, I am getting hit with all these things for the first time. I imagine these questions and comments are common:

"What do you eat?" (often accompanied by a truly alarmed look) I want to answer: "Oh, you know, twigs" But I keep trying to remember that this may be a teachable moment, so I tell them all the things that I can eat until their eyes glaze over. :lol:

and

"That must be so hard" No. No, it's not. It's not always easy, but compared to being covered in the devilspawn-lovechild of poison oak and shingles that is DH, eating gluten free is a cake walk.

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#9 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Gluten free cake walk :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#10 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

I'm pretty sure I've had everyone of these converstations at least 5 times each.

My favorite is always " oh i could never do that"

Or the fake interest. I get tired of talking about it, like if i hear the word gluten one more time i may have a nervous breakdown.

#11 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'm pretty sure I've had everyone of these converstations at least 5 times each.

My favorite is always " oh i could never do that"

Or the fake interest. I get tired of talking about it, like if i hear the word gluten one more time i may have a nervous breakdown.

I'm pretty certain I have had a nervous breakdown! ;)

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

#12 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

This is all new to me - the mother of a toddler celiac (and probably getting the DX for a school age celiac on Monday), but I think I'm going to scream bloody murder if one more person tells me it's not a big deal.  Even my husband's aunt told us that since gluten-free food is easy to find that this is going to be easy.

In less than a month I've had my baby girl get DX, de-gluted my entire house and repurchased all the essentials, spent hours figuring out what I need to do with my beauty products (I'm still nursing) and had a meeting with the director of her early childhood center.  Please allow me my freaking pity party and let me state that it's a very big deal!!  I am the mother - it's MY job to make sure she gets better!  And *I* am the one that hears my other kids get tearful when they really want a cheese-it or a spaghetio.  So now I'm making it my mission to be better in the kitchen so I can help those kids not resent the baby.

Sigh...  At least the people here get it.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#13 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

My favourite one recently was while asking about the menu at a new bar. They were very accommodating to dietary needs, and have good gluten-free beer, so I did just fine, but anyway:

Me: I'm gluten free, and can't eat soy or dairy.

Server (I think she might have been the owner, actually): oh, are you on a cleanse?

Me: uhhh, a permanent one, I guess.

server: Oh, you must have great skin now.

Me: um, maybe, can't say I've noticed, but sure...

*face plant*

They did make things for me sans soy/gluten and I did just fine, so will definitely go back sometime, but MAN! total hipster-trendy-health-craze-myth alert!!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#14 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'm pretty certain I have had a nervous breakdown! ;)

Maybe i have and just don't notice. :) ignorance is bliss

I'm thinking of adding a sig to my posts here that just says "intolerant to everything"

#15 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

My favourite one recently was while asking about the menu at a new bar. They were very accommodating to dietary needs, and have good gluten-free beer, so I did just fine, but anyway:

Me: I'm gluten free, and can't eat soy or dairy.

Server (I think she might have been the owner, actually): oh, are you on a cleanse?

Me: uhhh, a permanent one, I guess.

server: Oh, you must have great skin now.

Me: um, maybe, can't say I've noticed, but sure...

*face plant*

They did make things for me sans soy/gluten and I did just fine, so will definitely go back sometime, but MAN! total hipster-trendy-health-craze-myth alert!!

She sure wouldn't say that to someone with DH.... jeez...

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: