142 replies to this topic

#16 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

At a friends house just soon after I found out I had Celiac. She made Riffle soup, I said Ohhhh darn I can't eat that!! Darn it!! She said what can I do different so you can eat it? I said use Gluten free flour. She said well besides that. Lol I said actually there is nothing you can do :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Lol. These are funny.

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

#18 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

For me, the most annoying thing ever is the people who think reading a few articles on the internet gives them a medical degree and makes them an expert at your problems.  I have lupus, celiac, and I also lack part of my natural immune system, and I always tell people the minimum amount necessary because I have heard the most ridiculous crap from people who barely know me and my health history.  Some times I am not nice about it, if they are strangers and are very intrusive.  Also the whole saying it is a fad, etc. will get you a scientific lecture.  I tutored science to eat my way through college, so I WILL make sure you understand by the time I am done with you!

Also I am surprised no one has put, on the list of silly things said to celiacs:

Me: "I can't have gluten."

From an RN:  "Oh, so glucose? So you are a diabetic?"

After ordering a milkshake from sonic and asking them to clean the stirry stick since I cant have gluten which is in the oreos and pie pieces, the employee came out after a long time without the item and said sweetly,

"You can't have gluten?  Well there is a lot of sugar in this, we just want to make sure that is okay."

Luckily that was an opportunity to educate and when I see her there I will make a U-turn when driving past and go get a milkshake in confidence

"What DO you eat?"- I will list off all the delicious food I made myself in the last few weeks.

And on a more humorous note, things my husband has lovingly said to me:

"-redacted dirty thing- is gluten free!"   (if you are a married woman, use your imagination here, haha) 

He got slapped over that!

"You are my silly yak girl"

At petsmart: "I wonder if they have any silly yak food for you here?"  

That got a dirty look from me, but I was cracking up!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Its now entertaining to me that "others" think they are somehow eating better food than I am.  Not true.  You had a combo from Wendy's on the way home from work?  You're right, I'm missing out.... Or not...

Yes!  I originally made the entire house gluten-free but husband became angry because he no longer had his sandwiches.  He loves pizza too but we don't, gluten-free or not so I'm sure he doesn't get that as often as he'd like but...  I eventually bought premade sandwiches and then went back to making them after I got my daughter her own little fridge. 

He knew that I was paying more for her food and knew that we were keeping it separate, only because he and my parents couldn't understand the diet.  They kept trying to feed daughter stuff that she shouldn't have and she wasn't quiite old enough to read the labels to know.  So between the fridge and the card table (have since bought a shelving unit), they knew that whatever food was there was safe for her to eat.

Then one day, husband pitched a fit and said that "we" were eating better quality food than he was!  I don't have to eat gluten-free but have other food intolerances as does daughter.  So I had to buy other special things that were free of peanuts, dairy, eggs and other common foods.  He couldn't understand this.  Instead of being thankful that he could eat cheap stuff if he so chose, like regular pasta and white bread, he claimed I was feeding him the cheap, crappy stuff and we were getting the higher quality stuff.  Mm hm.

#20 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

At a friends house just soon after I found out I had Celiac. She made Riffle soup, I said Ohhhh darn I can't eat that!! Darn it!! She said what can I do different so you can eat it? I said use Gluten free flour. She said well besides that. Lol I said actually there is nothing you can do :)

Curious now.  What is riffle soup?

#21 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Got into an argument with my mom the other day who herself has multiple food intolerances but perhaps is senile (we think she is) and doesn't realize it but is also super stubborn and has always just done what she wanted, whether it was the smart thing to do or not.  And she lives in denial.  Says she will not eat eggs (eggs make her sick) then orders waffles and can't figure out why she is sick.  Well, she didn't eat EGGS!  She ate waffles!  Also tried to tell me that there was no egg in Avgolemeno soup.  It was cream in there.  Not eggs!  The woman doesn't cook, so she has no clue.  I've made the stuff.  Anyway...

She kept suggesting places for us to eat at where we couldn't go.  To complicate things, daughter is now a vegetarian and both of us have multiple food intolerances.  I can't eat chicken.  So someone suggested The Rock.  It's a pizza place with burgers, salads topped with chicken and beer battered fries.  I told SIL that the only thing I could eat there was a plain hamburger patty.  Can't have the bun or the fries.  So she tells me that they have salads. Yeah.  Salads with CHICKEN!  Daughter can't have those either and she needs more than a dinky dinner salad.  Plus we don't want to have to sit through another meal with you all eating stuff that we can't have.  Sure, I know that could happen anywhere but at least give us some options for our meal! 

So once again, my mom suggested The Rock and some other place that literally had no options for us.  And when I said, "no", she got nasty with me and demanded to know why but added, "And don't use your food issues as an excuse!"  So all I could do was shake my head and tell her that I didn't know why.

#22 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

Before I knew much about the gluten-free diet, my neighbor suggested putting my daughter on it to see if it would help her.  She added that it hadn't helped with her daughter though and she had tried it for a full two weeks.  So I said something like...  "But isn't it hard to do?"  She told me that it was easy.  Just feed the kid rice instead of bread.  And what kind of rice did she give her?  Rice A Roni!  Mm hm. 

This is the same woman who told me that she put all of her kids on a low sodium diet because heart problems ran on her husband's side of the family.  I blinked my eyes at her and asked her why then she was giving them Gatorade?  Not only was she giving it to them but it was the only thing she allowed them to drink.  As she was telling me that Gatorade had no sodium in it, her husband walked in.  He's a runner.  He blinked at her too and told her that it was loaded with sodium.  She became angry with the two of us but finally read the label, fell silent and put it back in the cupboard.  Yes, she served it from the cupboard and put the opened bottle back in there.  She had some reason (not sure why) that they could only have it at room temp.  Mm hm.

#23 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Had pulled pork sandwiches today :) Hubbs got himself some wheat buns! I was shocked! Usually I would get Wheat and he'd get white. So when everything was done he said Look! I got you some buns. I said Dave sweetie I cannot eat that! He looked at them and looked at me. He said their whole wheat, I said hunny I cannot eat wheat .. He just got that look like ughhh what was I thinking? Poor guy!! Lucky for me I had some UDI's bread in the freezer :) He ate the whole wheat and was happy with it! I guess it's the thought that counts. :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#24 Rucko

Rucko

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

When visiting family after being diagnosed with celiac, my father-in-law got out a loaf of home-made bread and told me I would be able to eat some of it because he didn't put gluten in it.  He proceeded to get out a package of Vital Wheat Gluten and assure me he hadn't used it.  My husband said "it doesn't matter, it already has gluten in it" but his dad seemed skeptical...

#25 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Rucko I do miss home made bread!! I used to make home made bread every day!! I used to make pizza dough :) Yup I used to add Gluten to it!! I  have got to make some home made gluten-free bread I havn't gotten the nerve yet.. It seems to take so many ingredients .. I just haven't made the list and done it yet!! But man hubbs loved my bread!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#26 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

This JUST happened last night:

Me (to concesion lady at museum): Do you know for sure if the popcorn is gluten free?

Her: Umm, I don't know. Do you know if popcorn usually has gluten in it?
Me: Usually it's fine. Popcorn itself is gluten-free, but it would depend on the flavorings. I've never come across popcorn that wasn't. I just thought I'd double check if you knew.

Her: *terified look* It has salt in it. Is that ok????

Me: Salt is fine.

Her: oh, good. I was thinking about not eating gluten anymore, but I don't know what it's all in...

(Really? I couldn't have guessed)

Popcorn was fine, by the way.

-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

#27 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

Friend (who has just found out that I cannot eat gluten and I'm low iodine): So what can you eat?

Me: Oh lots of things. There are many foods that are gluten free naturally...

Friend: I made this amazing stew you would like. I made it for Michael - he's vegan, so I bet it would be good for you too.

Me: Ummmmm

This has happened several times lately - why does gluten free automatically get lumped with vegan? (Or is this just in Portland?) I am the near opposite of vegan these days - more Paleo/primal. Being low-iodine knocks out a LOT of vegan staples soy and many legumes.

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#28 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes!!!!

I was at a liquor store and they were sampling pre-made jello shots.  I don't normally drink but I thought I would taste one. The lady at the table is the company founder and makes it all herself.

Me: "Are these gluten-free?  I have a medical issue where I can't eat gluten."

Her: "Well they are vegan I am sure they will be fine!"

Me and my husband:  "..... that is not the same thing......"

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#29 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Haha! I've never gotten any funny vegan comments, but a lady at my church approached me one week and said that since I'm gluten free, I should come to her house any time I want, and pick some of her lettuce and help myself. I thought it was so random! People seem to think that since so many things have gluten in them, that I must feel so fortunate to have every single thing that is gluten free. I actually don't love lettuce, so I've never stopped over, but it WAS sweet. My mother in law is always buying stuff and assuming I'll want it because I CAN have it. She bought some glutino pretzels (which I feel taste like stale toast), and every time I come over, it's "here's your bag of pretzels", like I'm obligated to eat them since they're gluten-free. I do appreciate the gesture, though.

#30 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

every time I come over, it's "here's your bag of pretzels", like I'm obligated to eat them since they're gluten-free. I do appreciate the gesture, though.

One of my friends bought me these weird vegetable chips, she was so excited she saw they were gluten-free, they tasted like crap but I felt it was so sweet she wanted me to have something safe to snack on at her party :)  It was right after my diagnosis, too, so the niceness made an extra impact on sad Laura.  By the way, snyders gluten-free pretzels, if you can find them, are the bomb!  Good with hummus :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: