Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Dh React To Corticosteroids And Can It Be Triggered By Corn?

suspecting dh on my finger

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi! Just a quick question for people suffering from DH. Does the itch/redness diminish when applying a corticosteroid cream? I have always had eczema and have been prescribed Triamcinolone for it. Since last year, I have developed a weird rash on my finger that looks like DH (tiny blisters, extremely itchy). I am wondering if it's really DH or just another type of eczema. I get some relief when I put Triamcinolone on it (but it usually bounces right back). Any insight on that?

Another question for those with DH and corn intolerance: do you get a flare-up if you get "corned"? Just trying to figure out what triggers my flare-ups and if it's really DH.

Thanks!

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't have corn intolerance (crossed fingers that I don't develop one) but I have never heard anyone on here with dh state that corn makes the dh flare.

Topical steroid creams don't really seem to help the dh much at all if any & the problems can be a rebound effect the minute you go off it.

It's hard to say if it's dh or eczema on your finger. It would be more likely if it's on the same finger(s) on each hand. 

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Looks like you have been gluten-free since 2010? DH shouldn't just show up now while on the gluten-free diet. Sounds like it might be something else.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thank you Squirmingitch and Kareng for your input!

Yes I have been gluten free for several years. My rash appeared after about 2 years gluten free. Contrary to my eczema it always flares up when I eat gluten and sometimes when I eat something processed. Hopefully I'll end up figuring out what it is. But right now I'm pregnant and my rashes are killing me...

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Good catch there Karen on the date. I didn't notice that. But if it's showing up when the OP gets glutened then it could be dh. We've had numerous celiacs who were gluten-free for ages get glutened & then suddenly present with dh. It has happened enough that I sometimes wonder if they hadn't stopped gluten when they did that they would have presented with dh very soon.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have been gluten free for about three weeks now... I got glutened at a friend's house and next day DH flared up inside and around my mouth - and it is still growing... When I was young I was always told that corticosteroids were detrimental for DH... In fact, I was told not to touch them and just let them dry out naturally- I know, very tricky not to..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: