#1 JadiRose

JadiRose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hello!

I am about six months in to my new life of feeling better and I have recently noticed a sort of inaccuracy in my medical chart. The clinic I go to has our charts available for us to log into online and keep track of and I was seeing when my next appointment the other day and I noticed that Celiac was not listed anywhere on my chart. I have letters and email conversations, and plenty of personal experiences to boot, that include my doctor and I discussing Celiac and my diagnosis, while on my chart it is listed under the allergen heading as an allergy to gluten meal.

Since diagnosis, I have had to explain to two medical professionals that I have been diagnosed with Celiac and that no I can't have any gluten, not even a little bit.

Is this incorrectly listed on my chart or am I just overreacting? Should I be concerned?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Next time you see your doctor, I would ask them to clarify that. I am assuming you were actually diagnosed with Celiac? Positive celiac blood tests? Positive biopsies? An allergy is very different from Celiac, which is an autoimmune disease.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 JadiRose

JadiRose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Was definitely diagnosed with Celiac, yeah. Positive everything. I had always thought that was the case and like everything I have ever read about it says that there is. Massive difference, so it was massively confusing when it wasn't reflected in my chart.

Thank you!

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

Next time you go there just tell them, hey I was looking online and I noticed you don't have this listed on my chart, and have them correct it.  I do, however, always have places list gluten as an allergy as well, because that entry (particularly in hospitals and pharmacy settings) is one of the most prominent things visible to the healthcare professional.  When I went to a place for a test that was linked to my local hospitals electronic medical record system, I had them put gluten, wheat, barley, rye plus my other drug allergy, in the allergy section.  Chances are the person entering the allergy into the system wasn't sure which entry to select and clicked the first one giving them the gluten meal thing.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: